Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Members blue'n'white's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    2nd runway at Gatwick
    Posts
    2,888


    0 Not allowed!
    A very good read
    I, too, await with interest the results of the Bloom/Barber/Hughton/Ashworth summit meeting.I'd love to be a fly on the wall. I think there will be many changes this summer.
    We learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #12
      Members Gritt23's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Meopham, Kent.
      Posts
      14,802


      1 Not allowed!
      I think the gun metaphor is a good one. All very well having people screaming for us to attack, but if we have armed CH with a spud gun, he can't really go on the charge against people with AK47s.

      There has been a lot of talk of "this squad is good enough" with reference to us playing better, more expansive football, but I honestly don't think it is. When teams come up against us, who do they fear, who do they have to account for? Going forward, it's literally no-one. Dunk, Duffy and Ryan are widely admired, but no team is having to come up with a particular plan to deal with any of our players going forward.

      In those circumstances, "survive" is all we can have possibly asked of CH, and however it's achieved, it's job done.

      What we do this summer says everything about what we can ask of him next season. The words of Bloom were encouraging, but we need to see what calibre of player is brought in.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."
    • #13

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I started writing a post on Saturday that ended up article length so @Bozza has kindly allowed me to publish it in the "read the Albion" section. What went right this season? What went wring? And what needs to happen in the summer to fix it? Over to you......

      https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...mmer-is-Needed
      Cheers GB, shall enjoy reading this over morning cuppa. Well played Sir.
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
    • #14
      Mod writer Guinness Boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
      Posts
      15,571


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by martin tyler View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      RB Montoya positionally is a liability and no surprise to see Bruno come back for the end of the season
      Yes, agree 100% and should have mentioned it in the piece (but I was already up to 2000 words )

      Montoya has got caught out positionally all season. Also is unversatile enough that he's normally either playing or not even in the squad. Yesterday was the exception when we all knew Bruno would come off to a standing ovation early.
      Brighton But Only At Home

      It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
    • #15
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      saaf of the water
      Posts
      7,940


      2 Not allowed!
      An excellent read- and sums up pretty much how I feel about the season.

      Yep, would have been pleased with staying up, beating them twice and a semi-final trip to Wembley - yet let's face it the majority of the season has been dull and uninspiring.

      How do we move forward?

      I can't see TB sacking Hughton - but as we discussed going home yesterday, lose the first three home games next season and the Amex will become a pretty toxic place very quickly.
      Thanks Robbie - one day we'll name a stand after you.
    • #16
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Hanover/Elm Grove
      Posts
      9,376


      2 Not allowed!
      I also agree with every word (apart from 'recue' -- I'll forgive you that one) of this. It was in April that I turned against CH for the first time (which includes that awful period towards the end of his first half season, when we picked up a similar number of points, wins and goals). I'm surprised that @Guinness Boy did too, because he's been about as articulate a defender, or better promoter, of CH from the outset.
      Barber's words suggest that the two-day meeting the board has already taken place, despite the fact that it was stated that this normally occurs after the season's end. The outcome seems to be that we'll persevere with CH, and this means that I'm going to get behind him for next season. But I do so with serious doubts, because I don't think he has the attacking acumen as a coach to make the most of the talent to take us up the table. Sure, we played delightful attacking football during those thrilling last two seasons in the Championship, but what I'm talking about is not only attacking football, but different styles of attacking football, in the PL, and it's that that I'm not convinced he can deliver. I'd be delighted that he's given the ammunition to prove me wrong, but will wait to be convinced on it (while also getting behind the team fully).

      In terms of players for next season, for me, definite starters from our current squad include Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo, March, and two out of Gross, Propper and Bissouma. If Izquierdo is back up-and-running, then he would make that list, but it looks like a persistent injury and a serious operation so it seems sensible to not expect too much from him probably until 2020. Knockaert is clearly talented, but he's too temperamental and I just don't think he can read the game as effectively as the above listed players (and especially March) at this level. Stephens is also clearly a contender, but he's just too slow and ponderous for me, and a more dynamic, athletic DCM who is quicker both in thought and movement is one of the three positions that we really need to upgrade this squad. That will really cost. As will a striker, which will cost more. With squeezed so much out of Glenn, but I'd rather he started next season on the bench, to come on for the last 20 minutes or so, to condense his goalscoring nous into a shorter period. Then we also need a RB, with pace, and it's pace that we need in this squad.

      Beyond those three, we're unlikely to be able to spend big on many other players (and it's spending big that we need), although if we can ship a few under-performers out (Locadia), we might be able to buy a new winger or ACM. We might pick one of these up on loan, as the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool appear to have some wonderful talent in the pipeline. DA ought to know these players better than just about any other figure in the UK game. We should hope for one or two outrageously talented English teenagers to find their way into the squad, challenging for a first team place over the next year or two.
    • #17

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think the gun metaphor is a good one. All very well having people screaming for us to attack, but if we have armed CH with a spud gun, he can't really go on the charge against people with AK47s.

      There has been a lot of talk of "this squad is good enough" with reference to us playing better, more expansive football, but I honestly don't think it is. When teams come up against us, who do they fear, who do they have to account for? Going forward, it's literally no-one. Dunk, Duffy and Ryan are widely admired, but no team is having to come up with a particular plan to deal with any of our players going forward.

      In those circumstances, "survive" is all we can have possibly asked of CH, and however it's achieved, it's job done.

      What we do this summer says everything about what we can ask of him next season. The words of Bloom were encouraging, but we need to see what calibre of player is brought in.
      Excellent post. Has all been said on here a million times but sums it up nicely.

      There was a moment towards the end yesterday when we enjoyed a rare moment of possession in the City half. I think it was probably Andone who had the ball. Classic situation for an "attack" to develop but the only problem was of the 7 other players who managed to arrive first on the scene (making their way from the other half where play had been a few seconds earlier...) 6 of them were Man City players...!!

      This is nothing to do with Chris Hughton. It is because our lads were either too knackered or too slow to get there at anything like the same rate as their much more expensive opposite numbers. This provided an extreme example at the end of a season where the same factors have been at play throughout.
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.
    • #18
      Members Rugrat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Seaford/Tenerife
      Posts
      9,304


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I also agree with every word (apart from 'recue' -- I'll forgive you that one) of this. It was in April that I turned against CH for the first time (which includes that awful period towards the end of his first half season, when we picked up a similar number of points, wins and goals). I'm surprised that @Guinness Boy did too, because he's been about as articulate a defender, or better promoter, of CH from the outset.
      Barber's words suggest that the two-day meeting the board has already taken place, despite the fact that it was stated that this normally occurs after the season's end. The outcome seems to be that we'll persevere with CH, and this means that I'm going to get behind him for next season. But I do so with serious doubts, because I don't think he has the attacking acumen as a coach to make the most of the talent to take us up the table. Sure, we played delightful attacking football during those thrilling last two seasons in the Championship, but what I'm talking about is not only attacking football, but different styles of attacking football, in the PL, and it's that that I'm not convinced he can deliver. I'd be delighted that he's given the ammunition to prove me wrong, but will wait to be convinced on it (while also getting behind the team fully).

      In terms of players for next season, for me, definite starters from our current squad include Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo, March, and two out of Gross, Propper and Bissouma. If Izquierdo is back up-and-running, then he would make that list, but it looks like a persistent injury and a serious operation so it seems sensible to not expect too much from him probably until 2020. Knockaert is clearly talented, but he's too temperamental and I just don't think he can read the game as effectively as the above listed players (and especially March) at this level. Stephens is also clearly a contender, but he's just too slow and ponderous for me, and a more dynamic, athletic DCM who is quicker both in thought and movement is one of the three positions that we really need to upgrade this squad. That will really cost. As will a striker, which will cost more. With squeezed so much out of Glenn, but I'd rather he started next season on the bench, to come on for the last 20 minutes or so, to condense his goalscoring nous into a shorter period. Then we also need a RB, with pace, and it's pace that we need in this squad.

      Beyond those three, we're unlikely to be able to spend big on many other players (and it's spending big that we need), although if we can ship a few under-performers out (Locadia), we might be able to buy a new winger or ACM. We might pick one of these up on loan, as the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool appear to have some wonderful talent in the pipeline. DA ought to know these players better than just about any other figure in the UK game. We should hope for one or two outrageously talented English teenagers to find their way into the squad, challenging for a first team place over the next year or two.
      Good stuff and agree with most of that. Most definitely we need pace. If we're keeping CH then chances are we will continue to focus on the defensive side of the game and so we'll need to develop a decent counter attacking game and not rely on set pieces
    • #19

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I started writing a post on Saturday that ended up article length so @Bozza has kindly allowed me to publish it in the "read the Albion" section. What went right this season? What went wring? And what needs to happen in the summer to fix it? Over to you......

      https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...mmer-is-Needed
      Great article. Astute summation of what’s been going on in a bit of a peculiar season. It’s clear we need to score more goals, and they’re probably going to need to come from all areas - as good as Murray’s record is, we cannot rely on him forever. As you say, recruitment will be key, how Ali J, Bissouma, Andone and others perform in their second season will be key - and FWIW, keeping our manager will be key as well. For all his detractors, as I have written previously, he is categorically the best man for the job, and the perfect fit with our club. It’ll take time, but stability builds success...

      AS I TYPE, Chris Hughton has left the club. I can’t believe it. Oh my God.
      Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."
    • #20
      Members CheeseRolls's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Shoreham Beach
      Posts
      3,819


      0 Not allowed!
      There has been a lot of focus and rightly so on the performance of our new signings, but I think most would agree we did strengthen the squad last summer adding depth in some key positions. SO was it just that the second season is harder, or did fitness and form also play a big part.

      Our first season we were on reflection, very fortunate with the small number of injuries we did pick up. The second season, has seen a lot more disruption. Izquierdo managed to outperform Ali J by nicking a single assist. 3 goals and 3 assists from Pascal Gross is unlikely to see Liverpool come looking again. Both of these can and must do better, when returned to full fitness.

      Davy Propper, I think has had his head turned. Maybe one or two other midfielders were fortunate to have a run of games to the end of the season to redeem themselves. If he wants to go, we should just make it happen ASAP and go sign a replacement.

      Once again we owe a debt of gratitude to Sir Glenn and his 13 goals. However there was a big contrast between the first half and second half of the season. The finishing is still there, but he really made it look hard work from January onwards. This can just be the effort of playing in a struggling side. Bruno looked to me like he was ready to pack it in under Hypia, where he (Bruno) still wanted to play pass and move and Hypia developed a style best described as pass and admire. However I suspect that age is finally catching up with our talisman. Is he replaceable? Well he HAS to be, but every club, is on the look out for goalscorers. Both Huddersfield and Cardiff signed plenty of possibles, none of whom ever looked like producing the goods. Ultimately if teams know you are unlikely to punish them, they will take more risks. which really puts a strain on the defence.

      Of the U23s. I would like to see Molumby and White get involved and a full season on loan for Connolly. Gyokeres, for me didn't really grab his chance, but he may come again. We do have some decent prospects, unfortunately no one has really stood out at right back.

      So yes this is a pivotal summer. Two strikers, a right back and possibly one more in midfield as a minimum I would suggest.
      "And the beep says goal!" - Jonathan Pearce MotD 05/05/18
      .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •