Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why have we struggled

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate many supporters will say semi final and staying up is good but no doubt entertainment with few exceptions has been poor and very few comfortable wins. Interested to know if people think this was down to players not good enough or managers negative tactics

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has this not been discussed elsewhere?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Both.
Poor recruitment over the summer. A negative and frustrating manager and players signed last season who have failed to kick on.

Out of that lot the Recruitment is the winner.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Both.
Poor recruitment over the summer. A negative and frustrating manager and players signed last season who have failed to kick on.

Out of that lot the Recruitment is the winner.

This. No proven PL players recruited. Happy to take a punt or two on players from elsewhere but we need one or two that we know are capable.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After viewing Spurs and Liverpool in the CL, I'd say some of the Albion players (minority), not wanting to push that much extra and play for the gaffer.
Not quick enough in adapting to the PL.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I also think injuries have played a big part. Gross and Izzy were two of the first names on the team sheet last year and contributed more than 20 goals and assists between them. This year the figure is 7 I believe, that’s a huge drop. Even when playing neither has looked fully fit.

If those two had approached anything like the levels of last season we wouldn’t be anywhere near the position we are now.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
There were sixteen teams who were better than us.

There were also three who were worse.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Shit signings last summer?

PaoloAlbioni

May 6, 2016
If we’d been offered 17th plus an FA Cup semi-final at the beginning of the season, be honest - you’d have taken it, wouldn’t you?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If we’d been offered 17th plus an FA Cup semi-final at the beginning of the season, be honest - you’d have taken it, wouldn’t you?

Yes but not ugly dull football. The stuff that actually makes me think twice about renewing. 19 home games of that turgid football again will finish me. For the most part i have hated this season.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The first few seasons in the Premier League are all about survival. Bournemouth have been up for 4 seasons, have spent millions more than us and only finished 3 places above us.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We got sussed and didn't have the managerial nous or the players to go up a level, adapt or change. If you stand still in this division gravity kicks in.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We got sussed and didn't have the managerial nous or the players to go up a level, adapt or change. If you stand still in this division gravity kicks in.
Is 'managerial nous' another way to say 'over-compensated, yet found wanting, by more famous teams, but, hey, famous."

Asking for a friend...

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
After viewing Spurs and Liverpool in the CL, I'd say some of the Albion players (minority), not wanting to push that much extra and play for the gaffer.
Not quick enough in adapting to the PL.

Not having a go at CH, but this is what the spurs players get from their manager after that great performance.

I bet Pochettino could get any team to push themselves to the max for him.

el punal

Appreciate many supporters will say semi final and staying up is good but no doubt entertainment with few exceptions has been poor and very few comfortable wins. Interested to know if people think this was down to players not good enough or managers negative tactics

This has been done to death. Now the season is over can we now let the club deal with whatever is needed to improve matters. Let’s all have a lovely summer knowing that we’re still in the Premier League for another year and leave being judgemental until we start all over again in August.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Something has to change or next season will be our last in this division. Cricket world cup plus meaningless threads about bread baking will take up the slack between now and pre season, plus the rumour mongering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here