Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glad seasons over

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
We didn't spend a single day in the relegation zone.
I still say the FA cup was a distraction as Southampton got to the semi final last year, & only escaped relegation on the last day of the season, when Swansea went down.
I think fans have been disappointed but also lost their sense of perspective.

Of course, they're entitled to their opinions, but we should be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
I'm sure Bloom & Barber will try to sort it out.

Great post.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I still say the FA cup was a distraction as Southampton got to the semi final last year, & only escaped relegation on the last day of the season, when Swansea went down.

Of course, they're entitled to their opinions, but we should be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

League position etc is what it is. The performances and tactics, especially away, have mostly been dull, predictable and tiresome. There is a lot of bath water that needs to go.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The new table already makes good viewing for 2019/20.

We're already 3rd in the new table for next season! (unless Villa get promoted then we drop to 4th) - I can live with that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I said yesterday two seasons in the PL and we’ve never been in the bottom three, we all would of took that after winning promotion.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I said yesterday two seasons in the PL and we’ve never been in the bottom three, we all would of took that after winning promotion.

I think the point of many is the quality of the performance, rather than the end situation. Few would accept that, right now, it's fun watching us play.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Yeah. Pretty joyless throughout with one or two obvious exceptions. In conversations in recent days, I have tried to counter the "be realistic" and "where we have come from" arguments, myself arguing that we should be ambitious. Listen. Why should the likes of Mata, Giroud, not play for the Albion? Why should we not pick off some of the best youngsters? At the same time, we can be brave enough to admit our mistakes and acknowledge that AliJ and Locadia are never going to make it at this level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If only NSC had been around in Mike Bailey's day. Posters now could save so much time and effort by just cutting and pasting .........................

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm pleased.

I didn't go yesterday. I could have gone, but for a couple of reasons it was more convenient to be at home so, on Saturday night, I popped my tickets onto the ticket exchange. I'm not sure if they sold or not.

For me, this has been the least enjoyable season of the last four. Sure, it had some notable highlights - we all know what they were but, overall, I've found my Albion mojo to be struggling somewhat. I think a big part of it is the Premier League itself and what that means for a club such as ours. I feared the journey may prove more fulfilling than the destination, and I think that's turning out to be the case unfortunately.

The end of the season has definitely arrived at the right time for me.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Agree with this. I have said a few times I felt the FA Cup Semi was a distraction.

How ever the season panned out, the main objective was to stay in this league, and we have.

I'm sure the top brass will make sure we have a competitive first 11/squad come kick off in August and address last season's woes.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Splitting the season into 4 quarters shows the true decline:

1st Q (10 Games) - 14 points
2nd Q (10 Games) - 11 points
3rd Q (10 Games) - 8 points
4th Q (9 Games) - 3 points

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Another season in the PL should gladden my heart but, it doesn’t. I simply don’t see how we’re going to recruit the kind of players we need to give us half a chance. The Eredivisie experiment didn’t work (whoever thought that up is a div) and trawling through the B list of Europe and South America requires more skilful hands and contacts than we , seemingly, possess.

The other PL clubs in our “class” (Bournemouth, Burnley, Palace and Southampton) have developed a recruitment system based on far more pragmatic and consistent use of development, shrewd buying and “moneyball” style stat analysis than us. We’ve got an inconsistent squad, rumoured to be unhappy and our best players are either elderly, just retiring or clinically insane (you know who I’m talking about)

Sooo. Roll on August. We’ll see. But I fear I’ll be walking alone into the woods with a revolver come Christmas.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Oh...and by the way.

Maty Ryan along with Duffy and Dunk are the only reasons we’ve stayed in this division. Lose any of them...and...we’ll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here