Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That second half...

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
I thought we played really well in the first half, pressed them well and showed attacking threat, but that second half was so poor and embarrassing. I understand that there’s nothing to play for, but we didn’t bother even trying to tackle them, they were literally just playing one two passes around their back line for around 2 minutes straight without a single player trying to make a tackle. I am proud of what we achieved this season, the semi final and staying up, but that was hard to watch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
but we didn’t bother even trying to tackle them,

Manchester City less tackles
Burnley less tackles
Arsenal less tackles
Palace less tackles
Fulham less tackles
Newcastle less tackles
Leicester less tackles
Chelsea less tackles
Cardiff less tackles
Southampton less tackles
West Ham less tackles

I can only assume that modern football and in particular the PL is not for you if you want tackles flying in every few seconds.

Also don't overlook the quality number of free kick takers tha City have and clearly the tactics would have been to avoid conceding free kicks in dangerous situations

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s not as simple as teams like City make it seem. We were great first half - be positive. Would rather watch a hard half against the champions than Bmuff or South Coast Club etc

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought we were poor in the second half, had no 'out' ball, because of Murray's lack of mobility.
First half, however, we were outstanding, because we played higher up.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Also strange that Andone was so ineffective when he came on for Murray

Not helpfed by lack of midfield control normally provided by Dale Stephens.

Not much ball but no pressing despite being younger and quicker!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I just thought we were outplayed by an outstanding team, there passing and movement was superb, great turn and goal by Mahrez for no.3 and no.4 was a great free kick. We did well to limit them. Thought they had more chances in first half but great defending. Players might as well have come off at 75mins - nothing to play for either team

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
OK we scored a goal that gave us 30sec of hope. Apart from that, in a game we had nothing to lose we conceded on purpose 2/3 rds of pitch throughout game. Like every game the only way we would possibly score is from a set piece. Had a few chances to break but not a hope as only player forward was Murray. His so called support player Gross is one of the slowest so has no hope of getting up there. Sorry but think it was a poorest displays at home against a top side cannot think of a side that would not have given them a harder game

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I just thought we were outplayed by an outstanding team, there passing and movement was superb, great turn and goal by Mahrez for no.3 and no.4 was a great free kick. We did well to limit them. Thought they had more chances in first half but great defending. Players might as well have come off at 75mins - nothing to play for either team

I did think the 2 minutes stoppage time was funny. Probably took 2 minutes just for Bruno's substitution.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Although Man City are 100 times the team we are, I thought we may at least have a go at them. Unfortunately just the normal Hughton dull ‘sit back, 10 behind the ball and hope we get a free kick or corner we could get a head on’.
As dull as ever I’m afraid!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Although Man City are 100 times the team we are, I thought we may at least have a go at them. Unfortunately just the normal Hughton dull ‘sit back, 10 behind the ball and hope we get a free kick or corner we could get a head on’.
As dull as ever I’m afraid!

You could have continued that with .. free kick or corner floated to the back post EVERY time for Duffy (to miss).

smith’s dreads

Mar 29, 2019
We had an excellent first half of the first half.
Our worst period was actually just after we scored, conceding 2 cheap goals.
After that we were wobbling and glad of half time.
In the second half we tried to contain their threat and actually had a bit of attacking pressure around the 50-55 minute marks
Then they scored with a sublime bit of skill and shot from Mahrez and the game was over
Agreed that subs, especially Locadia, were disappointing

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I thought we played really well in the first half, pressed them well and showed attacking threat, but that second half was so poor and embarrassing. I understand that there’s nothing to play for, but we didn’t bother even trying to tackle them, they were literally just playing one two passes around their back line for around 2 minutes straight without a single player trying to make a tackle. I am proud of what we achieved this season, the semi final and staying up, but that was hard to watch.

We only ever play one good half

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
We desperately missed a Solly March who could drive us up the field like last weekend. When we're forced to defend so deep, you need someone who can force the team up higher rather than just booting it forward and it coming back again. Every time we tried to move the ball forward on the ground, we just got tackled.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
I guess tackles was the wrong word, I more meant the lack of pressure on their back line in the second half, I really thought when andone and locadia came on they would add some energy and have a go, but our whole team looked half arsed as soon as they scored a third.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
We desperately missed a Solly March who could drive us up the field like last weekend. When we're forced to defend so deep, you need someone who can force the team up higher rather than just booting it forward and it coming back again. Every time we tried to move the ball forward on the ground, we just got tackled.
I agree, I do think knockaert and jahanbaksh were good at being an outball until we scored, I actually think the goal benefitted them and hindered us, as soon as we scored it was park the bus again like we have done previously.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The second goal knocked the stuffing out of the team and the fans.
No one in the stadium thought we stood a chance as soon as that goal went in.
The atmosphere only really recovering when Bruno went off, by which point the game was well and truly done.

There needs to be a good deal of work done on the team's mental strength.
We cannot afford to be so despondent.
We are capable of scoring more than 1 goal a game. The team need to start believing that.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Modern football mate, it pretty much outlawed tackling years ago. When did you last see a genuine 50/50 which wasn't given as a free-kick and probably a card for whoever was 2nd to the ball?

Yeah, really embarrassing mate. Have you seen their level of dominance the last 2 years? Forget the notion that "the Premier League is great because the bottom teams can beat the top teams" because they can't. Man Utd have given the bottom teams hope of beating them lately, but prior to their last couple of games vs Huddersfield and Cardiff, the bottom 3 hadn't earned a single point against the top 6 this season. Nothing, nada, nil.

Tackling has gone mate, and so has the bottom few teams being able to live with the top few. It becomes like a massive Cup upset if a lowly team gets anything.

Here's a stat for you; Man City were ODDS-ON favourites in 36 of their 38 League games this season! Away to Liverpool and Chelsea were the ONLY exceptions.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Like most, I enjoyed most of the first half, but I did wonder how long it would last.
Rather like Portlock Seagull said on another thread, we knocked the hornets' nest and out they buzzing well came!
Glad Glenn got a goal, because besides that, I thought he was well off his game and the old warhorse was probably knackered.
Gulf in class was huge. Hope we can recruit one or two Prem hardened performers in the summer, because without more mental strength and nous, we will be in for a very hard time.
Looks like we are stuck with C.H.( apologies to those who disagree with my sentiment) ; let us hope Ashworth earns his corn and Hughton steps up to the plate.
If things are grim by October, I reckon our loyal owner will 'do the deed'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here