Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving Kompany a Standing Ovation

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Really, is that really how you saw the game and how you felt. If so, I suggest you find a new club to support. Maybe Liverpool or City, you won't have so much disappointment in your life!

I should make a sticky post explaining my mistake. Oh well I can't expect everyone to read every post.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I stood and applauded, the guy is likely to be hanging up his boots, as Bruno is, and deserves the respect shown, IMHO

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I stood and applauded, the guy is likely to be hanging up his boots, as Bruno is, and deserves the respect shown, IMHO

This, absolutely. The City fans and players gave Bruno maximum respect when he went off. Only fit and proper for Kompany to be treated with similar respect. Both players have fully earned it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sorry, I tend to reply to posts as I read them and don't take into account people doing a 360 on their opinions!

Did you vote LibDem?
A forum is a place where ideas an opinions are discussed. If one jumps in at the end having only looked at the start, there is a danger of misreading the situation. I explained that I had not seen city's fans applauding Bruno. That cast a different light on my view and I think that was classy of them. It is not too much to hope for, that when people express a view that is clearly wrong, and they are corrected as I was, that some humility is shown, as I have. It was not long after I expressed my erroneous view, that I retracted it accordingly.

Liberal Democrats?! How dare you! [emoji23]

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
From my view from the North Stand the City fans were excellent when Bruno was subbed.

So were their players who clapped Bruno off. Football is a sport not a war and should be played in a sporting manner. Sadly this does not happen too much these days. Everyone who went yesterday will have wanted either Liverpool or City to win the League.
Whilst I prefer Liverpool, my two boys(albeit adults) have supported City since very young and as we were safe wanted City to win. I doubt they were the only Brighton supporters wanting City to win.
We did stay as did 75% of Brighton fans to watch their celebrations.
Already looking forward to next season !!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

He was asked that specific question on Sky sports after the Leicester game and rejected the suggestion straightaway and stated he was too young to retire He was obviously hoping to be offered another contract by City. So there is a chance we could be giving him another standing ovation next season

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
:facepalm:

So he might still be playing for them next season?

If so, I guess the only way we don't allow that to look so embarrassing is, if we now give the same standing ovation for every top 6 player who get's subbed off against us.

Your embarrassment threshold appears very low. I really don't think other supporters give a toss.

Losing 0-5 at home to Bournemouth is embarrassing; not this. But apart from Bournemouth and Palace fans no other supporters give a toss about that either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If only we could have given CH a standing ovation......

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
At the elite level they are well paid, as are other sports stars, musicians, bankers, movie stars, inventors, company directors, owners of gambling companies. They bring lots of joy to fans and some, such as Bruno and Kompany, have qualities as human beings that many admire and are applauded for it, although I suspect that your envy prevents such admiration.

Thats nice you have a thing for Kompany's human qualities.

I've only seen him play football. I wouldn't have a clue what he's like as a person therefore can only go by when he kicks a round ball. But nonetheless, there's no harm in having heroes.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My son said the same to me. :ffsparr: I didn't have the best afternoon and did a fair bit of ranting when kompany went off. For the first time ever, I sent myself to the vomitory for 5 minutes to cool off as I was losing the plot. I am very disenchanted with football atm but can't seem to shake off my love for Albion. In fairness, that was a class act from the city fans, and players, credit where credit was due.

I am pretty sure I know you and you sit directly behind me and if so it is the angriest I've ever seen you in the whole time we have been sat together at the Amex on Sunday :eek:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am pretty sure I know you and you sit directly behind me and if so it is the angriest I've ever seen you in the whole time we have been sat together at the Amex on Sunday :eek:

Yes, I own up, and I apologise. I have some underlying reasons that could explain in some way why I became so cross, but that's no excuse. I am glad we now have a few months off. Once again, sorry.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Their fans did the same for Bruno. Both players were playing their last games for their clubs after many years of service. Where's the problem?

100% this. Although I drew the line at standing to applaud Kompany 😂

Same reason as so many applauded Gerrard when, after a lengthy layoff, he made a comeback as a sub for Liverpool at the Amex.

I found the applauding of Gerrard embarrassing and did not join in. It made us look proper tinpot IMHO. Had Gerrard been the same set of circumstances as Kompany, then I would have applauded from my seat like yesterday.

I was quite surprised at how many of our fans stayed for the trophy presentation yesterday, considering how many leave early when we're losing. My own position was to applaud Citeh out, as like a guard of honour, out of respect for their achievement, but then I was immediately on my way.

Each to their own at the end of the day though I suppose.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here