Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today: 51,000 see Palace deny us the title

cpfc-2-0-burnley-crowd-1979_1.jpg

Palace had one outstanding game to play, so knew exactly what each result would mean on that Friday night.
From
https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=2634 :
The Burnley game was crucial - Palace needed a single point to gain promotion. Three points would mean Palace would overtake Brighton and finish champions. No points and Palace would remain in the Second Division.
So on May 11, 1979, Palace took to the field at Selhurst Park knowing exactly what was expected of them. It was a record attendance as 51,482 crammed themselves onto the terraces, with thousands of fans locked outside.

Actually Palace only got two points that night :)
Another possible error is that Wiki have the attendance at 51,801. Either way, it's a record that was never broken.

This thread is about us coming within 15 minutes of winning the championship, not Palace's glory. However, to alI the Eagles on NSC, I feel I must in some way acknowledge the efforts of your team at Cardiff. So, enjoy...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHERgb4BOk

Last edited:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
View attachment 109404

Palace had one outstanding game to play, so knew exactly what each result would mean on that Friday night.
From
https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=2634 :
The Burnley game was crucial - Palace needed a single point to gain promotion. Three points would mean Palace would overtake Brighton and finish champions. No points and Palace would remain in the Second Division.
So on May 11, 1979, Palace took to the field at Selhurst Park knowing exactly what was expected of them. It was a record attendance as 51,482 crammed themselves onto the terraces, with thousands of fans locked outside.

Actually Palace only got two points that night :)
Another possible error is that Wiki have the attendance at 51,801. Either way, it's a record that was never broken.

This thread is about us coming within 15 minutes of winning the championship, not Palace's glory. However, to alI the Eagles on NSC, I feel I must in some way acknowledge the efforts of your team at Cardiff. So, enjoy...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHERgb4BOk

Great picture, I think I can see me to the left of the goal !
What a night, 26 k in there 2 hours before kickoff, and we pipped you to the title.
Happy days.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Happy days and a great picture .

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Deleted
Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Great picture, I think I can see me to the left of the goal !
What a night, 26 k in there 2 hours before kickoff, and we pipped you to the title.
Happy days.

It's a shame that the article isn't correct in its belief that there were three points for a win.

If that was the case Palace would have finished fourth- losing out on goal difference.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It's a shame that the article isn't correct in its belief that there were three points for a win.

If that was the case Palace would have finished fourth- losing out on goal difference.

:tantrum:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Blimey 51,000...surely they must have gone on to become one of the giants of English football?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For my eternal shame I was there that night. In my defence I was still in short trousers and my elder brother used to live in Thornton Heath.

Can you imagine the shame and stick I get for this from my fellow season ticket holders. Good job I didn't mention he also took me to the 1976 cup semi.............oops :+

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
That Burnley game was rearranged following a late season snow storm. Palace were having a wobble at the time and could easily have dropped points. Went to the game - Whitehorse end, a few Brighton were there. Would have been interesting if Palace had messed it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I’ve developed a soft spot for palace during the last 7 days
Plus, I’ve always loved their strips. Especially the white shirt with the blue and red sash
Damn that kit

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I’ve developed a soft spot for palace during the last 7 days
Plus, I’ve always loved their strips. Especially the white shirt with the blue and red sash
Damn that kit

Wash your mouth out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here