Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 226
  1. #201
    Members Wozza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In your face
    Posts
    17,626


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cross Code Man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a poor response to a reasonable post. Just because someone thinks an old way is superior to the new, does not mean they are living in the past.
    Well suggesting that the Champions League means less to fans than the European Cup defies reasonable logic. Can only put it down to misplaced nostalgia.
    I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #202
      Members Pickles's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Posts
      1,060


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Wonder how many tickets assigned by Liverpool to loyal season ticket holders got onto the black market.

      Attachment 110680
      Friend of mine looked into going, and said online touts were selling for between £3000 to £5000.

      He found one for £1200, and on closer inspection it was for a car parking space at the ground only.....
      This is what caused the delay. “Can you sign this Paul?” - 80 minutes later Barber finished his reply. (Herr Tubbs)
    • #203
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Location
      Cumbria
      Posts
      2,466


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well, which is it?
      I've poorly worded that. It means as much to the team involved - but less to others, like me.
    • #204
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      49,993


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well suggesting that the Champions League means less to fans than the European Cup defies reasonable logic. Can only put it down to misplaced nostalgia.
      Never suggested it meant less to the fans only that the format is flawed. It is not a genuine Champions of Europe competition. All about money now which doesn’t detract from the fact that the revised format is flawed. Neither does it take away from the fact that there were some stunning games leading up to the final.

      I guess renaming it to reflect that it’s not actually a competition for the Champion’s of Europe would be unthinkable.

      I also maintain that it was a much bigger deal for football fans of the countries involved, rather than one for the supporters of the clubs taking part. Going nostalgic again, just about everyone got behind English teams in Europe, regardless of who they supported, can you say it’s still the same now?
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
    • #205

      1 Not allowed!
      As a competition it has merit because it's almost impossible to win without seeing off the best along the way. However, it comes at a hefty price in that the money has made almost all of Europe's domestic top leagues a closed shop.
      "Still a long way short of a batting bonus point "
    • #206
      Members Wozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      In your face
      Posts
      17,626


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Going nostalgic again, just about everyone got behind English teams in Europe, regardless of who they supported, can you say it’s still the same now?
      No, partly because you no longer have a single club 'representing' a country (the trade-off is much better competition), and because teams aren't filled with 'local' players.

      But every top club (including ours) has talent from around the world, so that change is nothing to do with the competition.
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.
    • #207
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      25,833


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I also maintain that it was a much bigger deal for football fans of the countries involved, rather than one for the supporters of the clubs taking part. Going nostalgic again, just about everyone got behind English teams in Europe, regardless of who they supported, can you say it’s still the same now?
      True, that’s really changed. As a kid, in 76 I wanted West Ham to win the ECWC final, in 80 for Arsenal to do the same. Gutted when they both lost. Was elated watching Forest win the EC twice. That was all with no interest in those clubs whatsoever, except hating them in Albion league games.

      Something changed.

      Now, half the wider football world in this country love all heartbreak for any of the top 6, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Celtic, Rangers, Everton. NSC Europa League threads contain sheer enjoyment over Burnley or Everton crashing out.

      Schadenfreude is huge now.
    • #208

      0 Not allowed!
      I confidently predict that the winners of Europe's domestic leagues next season will be City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, PSG and Barca. Yet again. (Not to mention Celtic in Scotland, again.) Thanks for that UEFA.
      "Still a long way short of a batting bonus point "
    • #209
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      25,833


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I confidently predict that the winners of Europe's domestic leagues next season will be City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, PSG and Barca. Yet again. (Not to mention Celtic in Scotland, again.) Thanks for that UEFA.
      Unless Real rebuild, plans to spend £400m on players this summer.

      But it must be unparalleled in football history that the titles in Germany, England, France, Scotland and Italy are so predictable before a ball is kicked.

      I used to like the alternating spells of success for Milan, Juve, Inter, with an occasional other club taking the title. Now it’s the same as Scotland.
    • #210
      Members Green Cross Code Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Eastbourne
      Posts
      13,379


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well suggesting that the Champions League means less to fans than the European Cup defies reasonable logic. Can only put it down to misplaced nostalgia.
      I would suggest that the hype is incredible and the reaction more impressive these days. I lived in Liverpool when they won the European Cup last time and as an outsider I was blown away by the enthusiasm and feelgood factor that seemed to last for weeks. However, I believe that the competition is devalued by its nature (too easy to qualify) and the absurdity of the 'Champions' tag.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •