Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goldstone Subbuteo Stadium

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sold my sub but do to Dave the gaffer about 15 years ago, but still have BHA, one original and an 80's hand painted super team.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
That’s brilliant - used to love subuteo as a kid. I honestly think that should go in the Albion museum!

I used to live around 5' walk from where Subbuteo was first made. If you wanted anything out of the ordinary (double sided sticky tape to keep balls in the goal instead of bouncing out for example) you could toddle along, even on a Saturday, up the metal steps to their storeroom/warehouse/shop. There worked (and possibly lived) a couple of senior gents who would swiftly find the desired item and deposit payment in an ancient cashbox.

For a 10' mile or so radius of the premises "pin money" was earned by painting (experienced painters go to do the complex kits, Blackburn or Newcastle for example and got paid more) assembling or packing their products. The house of my friend who lived over the road from me backed on to the "factory" , actually a fairly large shed, where the injection moulding took place. He was forever getting given bags of faulty moulded players which he used to populate the cardboard terracing and stands he had created to go round his lovely green felt playing surface. Made actually playing the game awkward and many a time crowd incidents occurred which in reality would have led to multiple casualties!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brilliant model. Subbuteo was the daddy.

But what was the one with the uneven pitch and the players that sort of spun around (i think)?

Edit: Found it!

51gmyrJ-29L._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The South Stand roof isn't on fire.

I'm out.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My mum stopped my piano lessons after she spilt coffee on my pitch and I swore at her! I could've been famous

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I've never seen that before. It looks like Goldstone Lane may have been unnamed at that time. Who remembers the bread factory opposite the church?

Ah, the happy days of the smell of fresh bread around the whole area from the old Clark’s bakery that took up the whole of the south side of Newtown Road front Fonthill to the bend in the road. Hid the smell of the loos on the east terrace! Clarks was a big old red brick building with a shop on the corner.
I remember the transfer gate on the chicken run. You could get from one end to the other to get behind the goal we were attacking. I don’t remember them charging for the privilege but the gate was there in the early 60s. Proper old school stadium!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
That’s actually brought a tear to my eye, congratulations for the time and effort put into that amazing football ground, and thanks OP for sharing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here