Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goldstone Subbuteo Stadium

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I still have hand painted subbuteo teams from the early 70s. For some reason I thought they'd look better with glossy shirts :lolol:

I never had Subuteo as a child, I had a football game called Striker for which you pressed the players' heads down which activated a kicking action of the leg.

As with all those games all the players from both teams looked exactly the same apart from the different coloured shirts. Same face, same hair colour and same moulded side parted hairstyle. I strongly felt that the players should be given their own individual identities so I set about painting each one (five a side).

From the original black painted side parted hair some I made blonde, some brunette, some ginger, some were given Jason King moustaches, some beards, some were made bald with carefully painted comb over wispy strands Ralph Coates style, but the one I was most proud of was the one I made black complete with goatee beard.

This was in the days (early 70s) when there were hardly any black players, the most high profile of whom was West Ham's Clyde Best. Racial diversity was clearly quite important to me even as a nine year old in the early 70s.

As with your Subuteo all my art work was naturally executed in high gloss enamel paint and looked all the better for it.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I never had Subuteo as a child, I had a football game called Striker for which you pressed the players' heads down which activated a kicking action of the leg.
As with all those games all the players from both teams looked exactly the same apart from the different coloured shirts. Same face, same hair colour and same moulded side parted hairstyle. I strongly felt that the players should be given their own individual identities so I set about painting each one (six a side). From the original black painted side parted hair some I made blonde, some brunette, some ginger, some were given Jason King moustaches, some beards, some were made bald with carefully painted comb over wispy strands Ralph Coates style, but the one I was most proud of was the one I made black complete with goatee beard.

This was in the days (early 70s) when there were hardly any black players, the most high profile of whom was West Ham's Clyde Best. Racial diversity was clearly quite important to me even as a nine year old in the early 70s.

As with your Subuteo all my art work was naturally executed in high gloss enamel paint and looked all the better for it.

I had Striker! Came with a foam pitch with a raised perimeter to keep the ball in. Could score worldies from long range if you got it right!!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Mooching around Brighton today, I saw a lot of really vintage Subbuteo stuff in a bundle. And the price? £500.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I had Striker! Came with a foam pitch with a raised perimeter to keep the ball in. Could score worldies from long range if you got it right!!

I had the original version simply called Striker. They later brought out an updated version called Super Striker with the added modification being that the goaly could dive while stretching his arms out. My goalies were limited to a swivelling waist in order to allow them to throw the ball out but they weren't able to dive.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I had the original version simply called Striker. They later brought out an updated version called Super Striker with the added modification being that the goaly could dive while stretching his arms out. My goalies were limited to a swivelling waist in order to allow them to throw the ball out but they weren't able to dive.

I must have had super striker then as my goalies could dive!

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
It just needs steam rising up from the bogs behind the North Stand and it's complete!

Yes I remember the toilet was right next to the tea hut. On a cold evening especially when the floodlights were on, so you could see it, pissy steam rose up inside the bog and came out through some horizontal slits at the top of the brick wall. The warm steam met the cold air and the steam would condense all over the side of the tea hut. There were queues of people totally oblivious but it must have added something to their Bovril.
I never joined the queue.

The chicken run was the full length of the East stand. When I started going in the mid '70s the away fans used to go in the lower tier of the South Stand. There was no segregation in those days but very soon after that, the North East corner was given over to away fans, so the chicken run was a little shorter. No tickets were needed so now and again some Brighton fans would go in the away corner for a bit of argy bargy and sometimes away fans would get into the North. It was a bit dodgy in those days especially in town when we played the London clubs.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Exactly this. I still have a little book with all the results written down. When I was 11 I was a Leeds fan, and my middle brother Chelsea (he still is) so I always roped him in to play Chelsea so I (Leeds) could win. I've been trying to stack the odds in my favour ever since.

Oh, and Freddy Starr was a **** even back then.

Likewise I was a Leeds fan when younger, in the Revie years. BUT BHA always my first love.

Where can we get / see the Goldstone model? Is that Bellotti’s car in the car park?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Someone has gone to a lot of trouble here!

Superb.

View attachment 109312

I think what would significantly add to the realism of this model stadium would be if you could have miniature supporters in there. Maybe Airfix could produce some - a bit like those small plastic soldiers they made - so that we could re-enact the terrace battles against Palace etc? You could further enhance the experience with model policemen, a couple of police dogs and the bloke who carried the lottery board around the pitch at half time?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Likewise I was a Leeds fan when younger, in the Revie years. BUT BHA always my first love.

Where can we get / see the Goldstone model? Is that Bellotti’s car in the car park?

Sprake, Reanney, Cooper, Hunter, Charlton, Giles, Grey, Bremner, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones

Not even from memory. It just fell out of my fingers.

Embarrassingly I doubt I could flop out any BHA side that easily.

Mind you that was the starting line up, plus or minus Johanssen, Madeley, Cherry, Bates and Greenhoff for ten effing years. Most of those boys played over 500 times for the dirty. Lost legends.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope

I seem to recall that I had a Subuteo team in Brazil's colours that were all painted as black players.......or did I just imagine that?

You also need the row of houses behind the East with people sitting/standing on the garden walls and garages.

And, if my memory serves me correctly, the ROOF.

Sorry, did'nt make myself clear obviously. The roofs of the houses referred to often had people sitting on 'em , getting an even better view.OK?
No need for the sarcastic tone. As you emphasised 'the ROOF' (singular), I could only presume it related to 'the East' and not 'houses'. I would only have twigged it if I had ever seen anybody on those rooves in well over a hundred visits to the ground (starting in 1969).

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Sprake, Reanney, Cooper, Hunter, Charlton, Giles, Grey, Bremner, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones

Not even from memory. It just fell out of my fingers.

Embarrassingly I doubt I could flop out any BHA side that easily.

Mind you that was the starting line up, plus or minus Johanssen, Madeley, Cherry, Bates and Greenhoff for ten effing years. Most of those boys played over 500 times for the dirty. Lost legends.

Yes great memories. Without wishing to turn this thread into a Leeds love-in, god forbid, they were a truly great side at that time. Eddie Gray’s goal away at Burnley is one of my all time greats. I had a chat with him at the back of Withdean stadium when we played Leeds there a few years ago - that was one of the few nice things about the Withdean there was no segregation and you bumped in to all sorts.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Needs a heavy finger pressed down in the middle of the crossbars and “ sack the board” tippexed on the baize.

GRIT BELEIVES BELOTI BULLSHIT on the wall outside the back of the West Stand :)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
A pipette of piss back of the north stand

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here