Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goldstone Subbuteo Stadium

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There was a bloke in the early 70s who always stood on a beer crate at the back of the lower west terrace right up against the chicken wire tunnel - on the south side of the tunnel.

Used to make witty comments during the game and, I think, 'spoke' to the players as they came on and left the pitch.

He's probably not around now - or maybe he is?

I think that was my Dad!

Was he a ginge?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I think that was my Dad!

Was he a ginge?

I can't remember that much detail, I was quite young at the time and didn't take that much notice. He was always there, so I guess it was your dad if you think that was where he stood. Great sense of humour I recall.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Needs a heavy finger pressed down in the middle of the crossbars and “ sack the board” tippexed on the baize.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep - my old man bought a Leeds team and HAND PAINTED blue and white stripes on it for me in about 1980.

Cheapskate !

All he had to do was buy team number 51 !

ImgProdotto-109-1M.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And the WEEDS growing through the terraces.

That truly is a thing of beauty though. I'd love to have that in a glass case somewhere in the house.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It's not a ridiculous question. I always thought the chicken run was the tunnel that the players entered the pitch from. Let's face it it does resemble a chicken run. However I've heard lots of people referring to the East Terrace as the chicken run.

That's because it was on the East Terrace. Attached photo is a leaflet insert from a 1946 home programme which shows all areas of the ground, prices of entrance and a very specific illustration of the Chicken Run area in the front and centre of the East Terrace.

Map of Goldstone.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A reminder that no matter what our memories of The Goldstone are, the club was held back by it. Great memories but we are in a much better place, not just physically, with The Amex.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I used to run two leagues of six teams each with promotion, relegation and FA Cup plus full commentary with me playing for both sides! Sometimes I'd wheel my younger brother in to play the Cup Final underdog. Would have loved to have played at this stadium but yes you'd need to demolish the stands to use the keepers!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep - my old man bought a Leeds team and HAND PAINTED blue and white stripes on it for me in about 1980.

I still have hand painted subbuteo teams from the early 70s. For some reason I thought they'd look better with glossy shirts :lolol:

Next door neighbour, whose dad was a bank manager, had a proper table, with stands etc. My pitch was rolled out on the front room carpet, and I'd get really cross when my brother rucked it up. "Oh look, you've rucked up the pitch again!". Or squish a player, or a goal. This was pre super glue so badly-mended subbuteo players and fixtures was a constant blight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to run two leagues of six teams each with promotion, relegation and FA Cup plus full commentary with me playing for both sides! Sometimes I'd wheel my younger brother in to play the Cup Final underdog. Would have loved to have played at this stadium but yes you'd need to demolish the stands to use the keepers!

Exactly this. I still have a little book with all the results written down. When I was 11 I was a Leeds fan, and my middle brother Chelsea (he still is) so I always roped him in to play Chelsea so I (Leeds) could win. I've been trying to stack the odds in my favour ever since.

Oh, and Freddy Starr was a **** even back then.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I've never seen that before. It looks like Goldstone Lane may have been unnamed at that time. Who remembers the bread factory opposite the church?

We used to buy chocolate eclairs from them, utter decadence in the 70s. Not that we were decadent, we were usually skint, actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here