Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NEW: Barber on Hughton, and our big signings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did adapt, he went back to (mostly) the Championship squad and ground out the points to get some confiidence back in the side

That really isn't adapting is it?

That's just rolling up in a ball and hiding under his comfort blanket.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I think the approach to giving signings time to settle in is a good one. It's easy to forget that we're signing lads in their early to mid-20s and asking them to adapt to a new country, culture, often a new language, team-mates and playing style. Like any cross-section of the population, they will have a range of personality types from the happy-go-lucky type of Bissouma who appears to be able to relaxed wherever he is to more reserved and potentially, more change averse people like Ali appears to be. The players don't choose how much they are sold for so the argument that "for £17 million he should be able to adapt quickly" is a weak one imo.
Maybe the recruitment team should try to assess how a player will adapt but given the variables, that is an incredibly difficult call to make. And given we appear to be planning for the long term, it may not be the biggest factor in their decision making anyway. So, personally, I'm pleased the club isn't making quick judgements on our signings. It gives me confidence that they are giving them every opportunity to demonstrate their ability before making an informed decision on whether they should stay or go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not totally convinced he’s the man to take us forward and upward but at one stage I thought he’d lost the players and most of the crowd. He turned it around enough to get us over the line and he clearly hasn’t lost the players

We go again and hopefully all will be well. TB and PB obviously have complete faith in him.

Maybe we’ll hit the ground running next season with newbies being introduced a little sooner and AJ and Locadia coming good

It’s a rollercoaster following this club.

One big effort on Sunday please :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing of any surprise in that at all. Good news on the clackers though

Ha! Yeah that was the main thing I took from it as well! So it's official then, the clackers give us a zero edge and CH isn't a fan. The rest is exactly what you'd expect from PB - and that isn't a criticism.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Barber is an excellent CEO, one of the best
Hughton, Jury's out

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hughton, Jury's out
Only for the thickos and agents provocateurs.

Everyone else recognises that he is a perfect fit for the Albion and continues to do a brilliant job with the resources available to him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Barber is an excellent CEO, one of the best
Hughton, Jury's out

Agreed.

That was all pretty standard, safe and bland stuff in that interview, didn’t really learn anything new.

The only thing that surprised me a little was that he actually said, don’t be surprised if one or two of the signings don’t work out. I expected just a very safe and blanket defence of the signings and talk of needing time to settle etc. Says to me that maybe they have made their minds up about one or two of them - Alireza and Locadia being the obvious two as all of the others have been relatively successful signings.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What did you take from it? I like Barber but there is a lot of words there with very little of interest. My point was he clearly mentions he checks every detail with Hughton. Did the same happen with Poyet, clearly not. As it was Barbers first CEO job, he has clearly learnt from that episode...

That Barber and Chris have a good working relationship, and that the dressing room is left (rightly) as the managers domain. Sounds like the whole club, behind the scenes, is pulling in the same direction, and we are making sensible, considered decisions. I liked the bit about being a patient club, as that suggests we will not be making snap decisions, we make the decisions with careful thought and consideration. We won't give up on new signings if they don't hit the ground running, and have an acceptance rthat we need to decide where we want to be going next. Shows that there is an awareness that purely surviving will wear thin before too long, but we have to be realistic in what our next objective is.

I didn't once think "Poyet" through the whole thing, and having read it back again, I'm still surprised that was your first thought from reading it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only for the thickos and agents provocateurs.

Everyone else recognises that he is a perfect fit for the Albion and continues to do a brilliant job with the resources available to him.

The main problem is that fans are not known for their patience and pragmatism.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe we’ll hit the ground running next season with newbies being introduced a little sooner :

Of Ali J, Montoya, Bissouma and Bernardo - who hadn’t made their debut in August this season?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agreed.

That was all pretty standard, safe and bland stuff in that interview, didn’t really learn anything new.

The only thing that surprised me a little was that he actually said, don’t be surprised if one or two of the signings don’t work out. I expected just a very safe and blanket defence of the signings and talk of needing time to settle etc. Says to me that maybe they have made their minds up about one or two of them - Alireza and Locadia being the obvious two as all of the others have been relatively successful signings.

Locadia, sure - he's been here 1.5 seasons and grumbled to the press.

The 'or two' is far from obvious and there are potentially others who fit the bill - Montoya, Balogun, Steele. Not cut and dried, really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of Ali J, Montoya, Bissouma and Bernardo - who hadn’t made their debut in August this season?

Getting a few mins on the pitch here and there is not the same as making an early impact though is it, which is what I meant!

Bernardo got dropped after one game, as far as I remember Biss made a crucial mistake resulting in a goal and didn’t feature much for a while, Montoya I’ll give you. Ali J? I don’t remember him getting much time and then he got injured

No doubt you have the minutes played per match by all the newbies on file somewhere, I wait to be corrected :wink:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Hughton = Gustavo Fring

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Locadia, sure - he's been here 1.5 seasons and grumbled to the press.

The 'or two' is far from obvious and there are potentially others who fit the bill - Montoya, Balogun, Steele. Not cut and dried, really.

Disagree on Montoya, I think he’s been a good signing. Balogun has been ok when he’s played and is a good, cheap squad player. Only thing with him is he’ll probably want more minutes though. Re: Steele, cheap and always signed as 3rd choice so never expected to play much anyway.

My default position would be to automatically defend attacking players like Alireza and Locadia who are getting stick in their first full season in this country but I just can’t with these two.

Locadia is the slowest and weakest pacey and powerful player I’ve seen and he’s so ponderous on the ball. He’s done well in a couple of games this season at least though unlike Alireza.

Alireza I was so excited about when he signed and in his first few games I thought he had a good touch and there was some promise there when he acclimatised but I’m totally bemused by him now. I literally don’t know what he’s good at, he looks like he’s won a competition to play for a premier league team, so out of his depth. Think George Weah’s ‘cousin’ at Southampton. Unless there is a MASSIVE improvement this pre season, I can’t see the point in keeping him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here