Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ice Hockey World Cup - England versus Germany

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No knowledge whatsoever, but I know someone who has and alerted me this.

It's the ICE HOCKEY WORLD THING and all the GB games are live on Freesports, Freeview Channel 64.

Kicking off (I'm not sure they actually do that) on Saturday at 3:10pm versus Germany.

Yep it's 1966 all over again...... on ice.

The other "matches" appear to be against countries which are icy - so I'm not holding out much hope.

Officially ignorant about Ice Hockey but I've gonna give it a go (on telly).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It's the ICE HOCKEY WORLD THING and all the GB games are live on Freesports, Freeview Channel 64.

Kicking off (I'm not sure they actually do that) on Saturday at 3:10pm versus Germany.

The other "matches" appear to be against countries which are icy - so I'm not holding out much hope.

Good luck with your expectations. GB are 2000/1 outsiders. Think Panama at the footie last year...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

It's called a face-off and the more face-offs you win (take control of the puck) in the oppo's end the better chance you have of scoring. Goalkeepers are much more important in ice hockey because a "hot" goalkeeper can shutdown an offence as much as a defensive side in football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKIZfh8s6c

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm

If you want to know how well a country's team plays you can count how many of their players play in the National Hockey League (NHL) in North America (USA and Canada).

Here are the teams in the NHL-- https://www.nhl.com/info/teams

Canada - 22

United States - 19

Finland - 2

Germany - 3

Slovakia - 6

Denmark - 2

France - 0

Great Britain - 0

Sweden - 17

Russia - 12 (plus 9 from SKA St Petersburg and CSKA Moscow which some people think are as good as NHL teams) = 21

Czech Republic - 10

Switzerland - 4

Norway - 1

Latvia - 1

Austria - 1

Italy - 0

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Reminder, there are 4 teams still playing in the NHL playoffs with the final prize being the Stanley Cup. Those 4 teams are the San Jose Sharks, St Louis Blues, Carolina Hurricanes and Boston Bruins. Players from those 4 teams obviously are not eligible to play in the Ice Hockey World Cup.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Reminder, there are 4 teams still playing in the NHL playoffs with the final prize being the Stanley Cup. Those 4 teams are the San Jose Sharks, St Louis Blues, Carolina Hurricanes and Boston Bruins. Players from those 4 teams obviously are not eligible to play in the Ice Hockey World Cup.

Not only that, quite a few of the top players don't play, even when their team is no longer competing for the Stanley Cup. It's a bit of a noddy tournament, coming right at the end of the season and many players would rather heal their wounds. I don't think too many people here take it very seriously.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not only that, quite a few of the top players don't play, even when their team is no longer competing for the Stanley Cup. It's a bit of a noddy tournament, coming right at the end of the season and many players would rather heal their wounds. I don't think too many people here take it very seriously.

Agree - it’s a bit of a nonsense.

When I was living in the US I could never quite get why this was going on whilst the Stanley Cup playoffs were in full throttle.

And having experienced the comparison of holding a Rangers season ticket at MSG during their Stanley Cup final run and seeing Guildford Flames at the Spectrum, I can officially say the NHL is a bit better.

Still, hockey knocks the socks off any other North American sport....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I hope there is VAR, any dodgy 'was the puck over the line' nonsense

hockey-puck-goal-line-stand-side-close-view-33759408.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here