Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea Fans

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Liverpool had more in their team than Barcelona- and more in their squad.

Ajax are apparently the bastion of home grown players- yet they have no more than Liverpool in their squad.

Tottenham Hotspur have more English players in their squad than Barcelona have Spanish.

So what do we conclude ? It's an international game these days.

This week:

Liverpool used 5 English players on Tuesday

Tottenham Hotspur used 3 (Kane injured)

Following European football as I do, I'd say Real Madrid are pretty much the best for home grown players with about half the squad being Spanish.

I conclude as squads go Spurs and Liverpool had a good smattering of English players but the post was about the four English teams, are Chelsea and Arsenal stats to follow?
How things have changed since Celtic became the first British side to win the top club trophy, all their players were born within a 30 mile radius of the club ground. So my conclusion are, that if you have enough money in football these days you can buy any success at club level

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I conclude as squads go Spurs and Liverpool had a good smattering of English players but the post was about the four English teams, are Chelsea and Arsenal stats to follow?
How things have changed since Celtic became the first British side to win the top club trophy, all their players were born within a 30 mile radius of the club ground. So my conclusion are, that if you have enough money in football these days you can buy any success at club level

Has that not always been the case ?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
[/B]

Has that not always been the case ?

In my opinion no it really has become an issue since foreign money came into our game
If you look at the four squads who have made the final only one is owned by English owners and they have the most English players I believe in their squad. All these clubs have foreign managers and the only thing remains truly English is where the grounds are and the majority of fans. You look at the prem league and the clubs with English owners and managers struggle to compete

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In my opinion no it really has become an issue since foreign money came into our game
If you look at the four squads who have made the final only one is owned by English owners and they have the most English players I believe in their squad. All these clubs have foreign managers and the only thing remains truly English is where the grounds are and the majority of fans. You look at the prem league and the clubs with English owners and managers struggle to compete
Which Arab state was Jack Walker from then?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
There was a period in the mid late noughties where English teams began to appear en bloc in later tournament stages and European finals. I remember reading some thinly veiled whimpers in Zurich that didn't seem to be present when Italy and Spain had their periods of dominance and not during the Spanish surge since.

I sensed back in 2004 that a period of rise for English teams was on the way. It became true in part. I think we may be seeing a period now that will match the late 70s/early 80s. Yes, It's down to resources, but UEFA knows all about resources. Expect wailing and gnashing of teeth if it comes to pass.

Platini was always bleating on about the issue of Premier League teams (and money) being bad for the game in Europe and looking for ways to try to limit the 'doping' of English clubs to stop them dominating in Europe.

As he is now out of the picture, and the likes of Qatar money propping up PSG, I guess they need to find a different approach.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There was a period in the mid late noughties where English teams began to appear en bloc in later tournament stages and European finals. I remember reading some thinly veiled whimpers in Zurich that didn't seem to be present when Italy and Spain had their periods of dominance and not during the Spanish surge since.

I sensed back in 2004 that a period of rise for English teams was on the way. It became true in part. I think we may be seeing a period now that will match the late 70s/early 80s. Yes, It's down to resources, but UEFA knows all about resources. Expect wailing and gnashing of teeth if it comes to pass.

It's all conjecture then?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Which Arab state was Jack Walker from then?

Are you seriously comparing his investment to his club to win the league almost 25 years ago with an almost total British squad, to the multi national teams who have players earning more than Jack Walker probably ever invested in his club I would go as far to guess Jack Walker would have been hard pressed to match Tony Blooms investment in Brighton. Mr Walker passed away with a reported personal fortune of £600 million. A long way from being able to match the likes of Chelsea and Man City owners investment of today

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are you seriously comparing his investment to his club to win the league almost 25 years ago with an almost total British squad, to the multi national teams who have players earning more than Jack Walker probably ever invested in his club I would go as far to guess Jack Walker would have been hard pressed to match Tony Blooms investment in Brighton. Mr Walker passed away with a reported personal fortune of £600 million. A long way from being able to match the likes of Chelsea and Man City owners investment of today

I won't argue with that, that's just relativity. I was responding to your quote:

"So my conclusion are, that if you have enough money in football these days you can buy any success at club level"

When someone asked you if that had always been the case, you said it had only become a problem "since foreign money came into our game".

But that isn't true - Jack Walker was able to buy success for Blackburn long before then. Sure, it didn't take as much money back then but that's not what you were saying.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Platini was always bleating on about the issue of Premier League teams (and money) being bad for the game in Europe and looking for ways to try to limit the 'doping' of English clubs to stop them dominating in Europe.

As he is now out of the picture, and the likes of Qatar money propping up PSG, I guess they need to find a different approach.

Was this the same Platini who voted for Qatar and whose son ended up in a senior management position for a Qatari energy company who also invested heavily in PSG?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I won't argue with that, that's just relativity. I was responding to your quote:

"So my conclusion are, that if you have enough money in football these days you can buy any success at club level"

When someone asked you if that had always been the case, you said it had only become a problem "since foreign money came into our game".

But that isn't true - Jack Walker was able to buy success for Blackburn long before then. Sure, it didn't take as much money back then but that's not what you were saying.

Yes, you are correct Jack Walker did buy the Prem title for Blackburn Rovers, but that was nearly a quarter of a century ago. He was reported to have spent a total of £94 Million on buying a team and completely refurbishing the ground and facilities during his control of the club.
What I find ironic about comparing current champions Man City and the season Blackburn played as English champions, Manchester City were relegated from the Prem and within two seasons relegated to the third tier of English football.
Look at them today and Man City after a reported cash injection by the current foreign owner of £1.3 Billion, are probably now one of the elite clubs in the world. Blackburn Rovers on the other hand have not continued to flourish without comparable funds and they have completely swopped places league wise, do you think that Man City’s rise would have been achieved without this huge investment?
I cannot recall another solely owned English financed club since Jack Walker to win a Prem title, I may be wrong. When you consider Tony Bloom has spent over three times the amount of Jack Walker (I know it is relative) we don’t have a hope in hell of repeating the Blackburn story and nor does any other current fully English owned club. This is why I maintain that foreign money has seriously changed football in this country and my statement was that English owners now struggle to compete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here