Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Yesterday there was a school shooting in Colorado

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest when did you hear the news?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48207677

I ask as I found out listening to my favourite American daily podcast.

It's a topical, smart, funny, sportcentric show.
But as the host and guests are former 'newspaper-people' (columnists, reporters and editors) the Washington Post in particular is frequently discussed.
Amazingly, or not as the case maybe, contributors to the show didn't know about this latest school killing until mentioned by others.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barely registers anymore, sadly.

JimothyJames95

Jan 2, 2019
Eastbourne
Possibly because it’s a subject which is touched upon so often, whoever decides what is displayed on our news channel, considered it to be irrelevant compared to the other stories during the day? Quite a dark approach to look at it, but I can see some truth being in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My wife mentioned it, but then it slipped my mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barely registers anymore, sadly.

That was the point being made in the studio.

The general consensus was 'well we did nothing after Sandy Hook, so this is now just normal'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Similar to the attitude of most of us after another IRA/UDA murder in Ulster during the troubles?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

But as the host and guests are former 'newspaper-people' (columnists, reporters and editors) the Washington Post in particular is frequently discussed.
Amazingly, or not as the case maybe, contributors to the show didn't know about this latest school killing until mentioned by others.

Doesn’t qualify as a mass shooting though does it ? Tragic nonetheless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why would we hear about it? It's American news.

Of course it's terrible for all those affected, but if we heard about every murder all over the world, then there wouldn't be space for any other kind of news. The world is a dangerous place.

We wouldn't, I certainly didn't.

But I was somewhat taken aback that a selection of Americans hadn't either.

Why would we hear about it? It's American news.
Because the BBC is obsessed with news from a favoured country thousands of miles away; think of the ridiculous coverage it gives to just the selection of presidential candidates. And don't get me started on stories about American football personalities - OJ Simpson was a nobody in the UK before the BBC decided that shouldn't be the case.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
On average, more than 100 per day die from gunshots in the US, so it doesn't have 'newsworthiness' from that point of view. And the fact it was at a school? It was the 15th this year, I believe, so not so much shock value there any more either. This one only got the attention it did because it was close to Columbine - and close to the 20th anniversary of that shooting too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Found out via a friend's Facebook post about it. She lives in the area and was letting everyone know that her son was ok.

Searched for the story afterwards and there wasn't a great deal of coverage...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
D6IkChJUYAE2S0y.jpeg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Vote for tossers get tossers rules.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I got back from a 2 week trip to the US on sunday. In Amarillo, Texas, my travelling party went to the Big Texas Steakhouse which offers a free limo ride to and from the restaurant. Our chauffeur is the proud owner of 75 different guns, a dozen of which are readily available around the home. His 6 kids are all trained in usage and respect for the guns, and he is confident that any of them, including his 4 year old, could defend their property if the need arose. He proudly stated that anyone who shoots an intruder or would be intruder is praised locally and is more likely to be featured on the front page of the local newspaper rather than get arrested. Crazy reality of Texas, USA.

He was one hell of a bloke, though. Articulate, entertaining and passionate in his belief that more guns is the right answer. Arm the teachers, arm all shop staff and arm all places of worship. Bearing arms is the solution to gun crime, in his passionate opinion.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I got back from a 2 week trip to the US on sunday. In Amarillo, Texas, my travelling party went to the Big Texas Steakhouse which offers a free limo ride to and from the restaurant. Our chauffeur is the proud owner of 75 different guns, a dozen of which are readily available around the home. His 6 kids are all trained in usage and respect for the guns, and he is confident that any of them, including his 4 year old, could defend their property if the need arose. He proudly stated that anyone who shoots an intruder or would be intruder is praised locally and is more likely to be featured on the front page of the local newspaper rather than get arrested. Crazy reality of Texas, USA.

He was one hell of a bloke, though. Articulate, entertaining and passionate in his belief that more guns is the right answer. Arm the teachers, arm all shop staff and arm all places of worship. Bearing arms is the solution to gun crime, in his passionate opinion.

Unfortunately there has been so much scaremongering in the US that many people there seem to believe they are constantly at risk of being gang-raped in their homes. This sells a lot of guns but it is an awful way to have to live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here