Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
how else do you intend a picture of a chimp, with reference to a mixed race baby?

He referenced a royal baby, no mention of race. It was only this thread that reminded me that Meghan Windsor nee Markel, is mixed race. Does that make this thread racist?

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In his defence its easily done.

Back in 1990, Robert Codner was waging an almost constant battle with the Albion faithful, and long before social media was making his feelings clear via Messrs Vinicombe, Millard and Lees.

Someone sent Gulls Eye a postcard of a little chimpanzee dressed in a football kit doing a w***** sign, and had over printed Codner's name on the bottom.

When putting that week's issue together we all thought it was funny and deserved to be published, at no point did we ever think about the racist overtones, Codner had used the exact word to refer to sections of the Albion support so we thought it was apt.

UNTIL THAT IS...……

The late Steve Rooke phoned us on behalf of the club

Gary Nelson made contact on behalf of the PFA

And not before Robert himself had, through Kilo, made it clear he wasn't happy and was considering having us duffed up by 'geezers' he knew in The Smoke.

Needless to say we apologised, and ironically when I meet up with Robert now, we have a laugh about the good old days.

Storm in a teacup and rest assured Danny Baker will be back on the wireless in some guise or other within 6 months.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He does have form, TBH. Check out this disgusting image.

60333199_10158343576919097_1090990562984591360_n.jpg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm no great fan of Danny Baker as I feel his too clever by half routine comes across as arrogance along with him being the self appointed voice of the England team as if his opinion is the only one that carries weight. I switched off his radio show a long time ago.

That said, he clearly isn't racist and whilst it is blindingly obvious that his tweet could be construed as such, the decision to sack him re-enforces the modern day burning at the stake for anyone that steps out of line no matter what the context or history of the person concerned. I'd rather we call out the genuine racist types. Robinson, Corbyn and his anti semitism as well as the Express and Mail for dog whistling about immigration than sacking a bloke whose made a career out of flogging washing powder and whose "whiter than white" comments are about an M&S shirt not the demographic of the neighbourhood. Still, he won't be the last. Social justice burnings are here to stay.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was watching Bernard Manning This is Your Life from 1991 on You Tube the other day, Jim Davidson came on and stated Bernard was the greatest stand up comedian this country has ever produced.

Jim then went and sat down next to coloured comedian Charlie Williams, and Bernard said "You've upset him now by saying that Jim, he wished he'd bought his blowpipe with him"

BBC One broadcast that at 7pm in the evening.

I doubt they would now........

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone who thinks danny baker didnt mean that in a racist way is kidding themselves

Frankly, thats bollocks. I don't think it even occurred to him that Meghan (and therefore her baby) is "mixed race". Bloody hell, I didn't even know she was considered mixed race until the media highlighted it, and her african-american mother appeared at the wedding.

It was a tweet made out of ignorance, but no way did DB intend that as a malicious, racist tweet. Please explain to me why the hell he would do that ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
From the BBC's website

We know the diversity of production teams and who our audience see and hear in our programmes is vital to how we reflect modern Britain. The Diversity and Inclusion Strategy we launched in 2016 made clear our firm commitment to change by 2020 and aim to have:
— 50% women on screen, on-air and in lead roles across all genres from drama to news;
— 15% black, Asian and ethnic minorities on screen, on-air and in lead roles across all genres;
— 8% disabled people on-screen and on-air including some lead roles; and
— 8% LGBT on screen portrayal including some lead roles.

The progressive world of identity quotas, and people embrace it as inclusive.

Waveknight

Banned
Apr 30, 2019
You clearly don't know the man.
Ive met him at a mutual friends party though not enough to comment on his personality and i also know somebody who heard him shout 'run fashanu you lazy ba*stard, prerend you've just nicked a purse' id suggest that unless you're a close friend of his ,you know the sanitised , media friendly , danny baker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was watching Bernard Manning This is Your Life from 1991 on You Tube the other day, Jim Davidson came on and stated Bernard was the greatest stand up comedian this country has ever produced.

Jim then went and sat down next to coloured comedian Charlie Williams, and Bernard said "You've upset him now by saying that Jim, he wished he'd bought his blowpipe with him"

BBC One broadcast that at 7pm in the evening.

I doubt they would now........

I doubted people would use words like "Coloured" nowadays but here we are.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ive met him at a mutual friends party though not enough to comment on his personality .
Fair enough. As you say, you can't suggest someone would be racist if you don't really know them

Anyone who thinks danny baker didnt mean that in a racist way is kidding themselves

Oh.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I doubted people would use words like "Coloured" nowadays but here we are.

Loads of people use that term, mainly older people it not down to racism it comes down to each generation creating it's own language. I think the term "Mixed-race" in time will be viewed as offensive as colored is by the young today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Loads of people use that term, mainly older people it not down to racism it comes down to each generation creating it's own language. I think the term "Mixed-race" in time will be viewed as offensive as colored is by the young today.

It's just an odd one though isn't it? Just say black. Nothing offensive about calling a black person black. Coloured doesn't even make sense, we're all a colour.

I didn't say it was racism, I agree, it's more generational ignorance, just not a word you see much nowadays.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ive met him at a mutual friends party though not enough to comment on his personality and i also know somebody who heard him shout 'run fashanu you lazy ba*stard, prerend you've just nicked a purse' id suggest that unless you're a close friend of his ,you know the sanitised , media friendly , danny baker.

Can you explain to me then why he would commit career suicide by sending out a deliberately malicious, racist tweet to his half a million twitter followers and the world in general ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I' be got a cuddly PG Tips monkey that I got free with -you'll never guess but - PG Tips) who I've given a KKK hood too. One friend of mine said it was racist. All the offers think it's funny. So what do you do huh ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Well that's certainly conclusive rather than any actual evidence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here