Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Look, he's paid to talk bollocks about football, and about dogs running onto pitches. We're not talking about David Dimbleby here. Just because he hosts a lighthearted radio phone-in, you think he needs a constant encyclopaedic knowledge of news and current affairs ?

And yes people do lose their jobs for saying stupid or inappropriate things, but you have to judge each instance on its merits. He didn't do a Ron Atkinson and refer to someone as a "stupid thick ******" did he.

Whether he's well off enough to call it a day now anyway is neither here nor there. IMO the BBC were wrong to dismiss him for this, but its entirely in keeping with the stuffed suits at institutions like that (and the FA), who immediately SOIL themselves at the first whiff of a screaming Daily Mail "LOOK, isn't this DISGUSTING" - type headline.

So if I posted his image on here would it be acceptable or would I be called racist?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don’t get it. As in what’s the joke? I’d be surprised if Danny Baker means anything racist by it, but what is the joke?

The Duchess of Sussex is mixed race, and her mother is black. IF the monkey thing is relating to that, as football fans used to when they used to throw bananas at black players, then it is just out and out plain stupid and horrible.

And I don't think Danny Baker is that stupid - just unthinking maybe, and I am sure he will be regretting it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So if I posted his image on here would it be acceptable or would I be called racist?

I'd probably wonder or question why you were comparing a newborn mixed race baby to an ape. If you then said you didn't realise that the baby was of mixed race and took it down, then I'd say fair enough and think nothing more of it. I certainly wouldn't make the assumption that you were a RACIST. I've never seen you post anything racist before, and I don't know you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why would that matter if he hadn't? That wouldn't prove ANYTHING.

Come on, that's really lazy.

Its a completely valid question, particularly as some have repeatedly informed us that he HAS used the picture before on the occassion of previous royal births.

If he didn't, you're right, it proves nothing.

If he DID then I'd be keen to know. It would establish a previous precedent, and effectively exonerate him, for me personally.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
'white ******' in the context of that song, basically means 'white trash' or simply 'expendable prole' doesn't it?

I think it’s more a reference to Irish Catholic’s,it is used in The Commitments film to explain their affinity to Black American music.

All the same, the BBC bleeps drug references, sex references, violence references, and yet these 2 songs are played in their entirety.
If the Beeb were serious in their anti racist stance, surely these 2 songs would also be censured.
And, Farage wouldn’t be a contributor in Question Time tonight.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe he didn't, but I find it astonishing that he didn't think for one second how it could be construed. It's a shame because the Windsors welcoming a mixed race woman into the family is probably the only positive thing I've ever thought about them. My advice to anyone in the public eye; abandon Twitter as you are playing for high stakes...

Well I agree on the latter but, no, he didn't think for long enough. Just threw it out there without thinking of race.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He worked for the BBC. I cannot believe he didn't have regular diversity training as I did in my job for a large organisation. Sorry, but I believe DB is a racist on the basis that he certainly knew and understood EVERY aspect of what he was doing yet was still happy to put the tweet out there. No sympathy from me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'd probably wonder or question why you were comparing a newborn mixed race baby to an ape. If you then said you didn't realise that the baby was of mixed race and took it down, then I'd say fair enough and think nothing more of it. I certainly wouldn't make the assumption that you were a RACIST. I've never seen you post anything racist before, and I don't know you.

I would say that 100% if I posted DB's image on this forum and used the excuse of ignorance when questioned, no one would believe me, not even yourself.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1126522215384670208[/TWEET]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would say that 100% if I posted DB's image on this forum and used the excuse of ignorance when questioned, no one would believe me, not even yourself.

Well, the image that DB posted wouldn't make all that much sense coming from yourself on here, as you've never had this ongoing "monkeys dressed as famous people coming out to fairground music" schtick that Baker has been doing on his radio show for donkeys years (and if thats what DB posted it as reference to, it was a very weak gag anyway). So in that respect yes, you'd probably be on thinner ice if YOU posted it.

But I'd like to think I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, being as I've never seen anything racist from you before. And I'd also factor in that I was also personally ignorant of her mixed race heritage until the endless wall-to-wall wedding coverage we were exposed to.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Danny Baker is definitely not a racist but he is a cheeky monkey.

He should have realised the pc brigade would take offence. Personally I don't see the issue. Anyone who associates monkeys with black people is a racist in my eyes. I certainly wouldn't have looked at that picture and seen it from that angle and I am pretty sure he didn't either.

That said, I also don't think he was too bothered about being fired from the BBC.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well, the image that DB posted wouldn't make all that much sense coming from yourself on here, as you've never had this ongoing "monkeys dressed as famous people coming out to fairground music" schtick that Baker has been doing on his radio show for donkeys years (and if thats what DB posted it as reference to, it was a very weak gag anyway). So in that respect yes, you'd probably be on thinner ice if YOU posted it.

But I'd like to think I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, being as I've never seen anything racist from you before. And I'd also factor in that I was also personally ignorant of her mixed race heritage until the endless wall-to-wall wedding coverage we were exposed to.

Exactly how could anyone miss the endless wall-to-wall wedding coverage? Quite a lot of people on here have called me racist when discussing a particular religion tbf. But I am glad you have never noticed any racist comments from me.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Typical NSC waste of time.

Man in public spotlight does something stupid, intentionally or unintentionally.

Man in public spotlight pays the price people in the public spotlight do when they do something stupid, intentionally or unintentionally.

There, now go do something profound and meaningful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here