Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sky Q

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looking for some advice (apart from don’t do it :smile:)

Many years after binning SKY I am considering returning as I’m sick of streams that freeze and am interested in Sky sports to include F1.

For those that have it, what do you think of the SKY Q experience with the box that lets you watch in more than one room. Also is there any reason I should go for the more expensive box if I’m not fussed about HD or hours and hours of recording space.

How do the miniboxes work, do you need super new tvs for them?

Thanks, looking forward to both the replies that are relevant and the ones telling me what a mug I am.

Seems I can get this for £58 a month plus the one off charges. Anywhere I can do better?

So many questions!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
We recently upgraded to Sky Q and on the whole we're enjoyg it. We like the watch in more than one room option and the voice control is a neat feature. The miniboxes work with our old TV thanks to a composite feed instead of HDMI - the kit doesn't come with one in the boxes but the engineer had a lead in the van.

I have to say though that we are finding the interface incredibly frustrating in terms of getting into our recordings and starting where we'd left off. Might just be that we were so used to how it worked before...

Hope that helps!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
SKY Q the best out of all virgin / sky / streaming packages I've tried.

Voice control good.

Like how it records to each box as well.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I binned off Sky Q a few months ago and despite saving a fair bit of money I do miss it, the new miniboxes don't require wiring in like the old multiroom boxes do as they're wireless so that's a bonus in my eyes. The only advantage I can think of for getting the bigger Sky Q box is it allows you to watch on more screens at the same time, other than that there isn't any point as you're not fussed about HD or UHD.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Funnily enough I’ve had my yearly row with sky today
Got the sky q2 box
All channels no extra box for around house as not got tv upstairs as yet £50 a month ..18 month contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I binned off Sky Q a few months ago and despite saving a fair bit of money I do miss it, the new miniboxes don't require wiring in like the old multiroom boxes do as they're wireless so that's a bonus in my eyes. The only advantage I can think of for getting the bigger Sky Q box is it allows you to watch on more screens at the same time, other than that there isn't any point as you're not fussed about HD or UHD.

Thanks, so how does a wireless box work with a TV that is about 5 years old? Do I also need fancy new tvs

My next problem is likely to be getting the installer to place the dish on a two storey building between two roofs with no access apart from ladders!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We have concrete floors which meant it didn't work between rooms on different floors. Complicated solution to get our wifi working on different floors meant sky Q then couldn't be used. I still don't understand why. Also I think something needed fitting on the dish which Sky refused to access because it is in a difficult place. Other contractors are not allowed to fit whatever it is to the dish. Hence why we don't use Sky Q. I still don't really understand any of this.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Q
We have concrete floors which meant it didn't work between rooms on different floors. Complicated solution to get our wifi working on different floors meant sky Q then couldn't be used. I still don't understand why. Also I think something needed fitting on the dish which Sky refused to access because it is in a difficult place. Other contractors are not allowed to fit whatever it is to the dish. Hence why we don't use Sky Q. I still don't really understand any of this.

Well that certainly doesn’t sound very encouraging :lolol:

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Upgraded a few months ago and have been v pleased - SKY fitted a new dish - got a box upstairs - always got more recorded than I will ever have time to watch - Ultra HD bit of a waste of time - nothing like the difference between DVD and Blu Ray so never bother with it - apart from that would recommend

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks, so how does a wireless box work with a TV that is about 5 years old? Do I also need fancy new tvs

My next problem is likely to be getting the installer to place the dish on a two storey building between two roofs with no access apart from ladders!

If they have HDMI connections that it how the boxes and TV's connect to each other. Its the connection between boxes that is wireless which is why the concrete floors might be an issue.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
We have Sky Q and the drop-outs got so bad that we had to get the house wired up with Cat6 wiring as we had the secondary box in the kitchen and each time you turned the microwave on, it dropped out. There are still a few niggly problems, like if you turn it on too early in the morning - for which a good old reset of the main box sorts out the problem. It's worth noting that with Sky Q you never own the equipment, which is a mixed blessing.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Many years after binning SKY I am considering returning as I’m sick of streams that freeze and am interested in Sky sports to include F1.

For those that have it, what do you think of the SKY Q experience with the box that lets you watch in more than one room. Also is there any reason I should go for the more expensive box if I’m not fussed about HD or hours and hours of recording space.

Thanks, looking forward to both the replies that are relevant and the ones telling me what a mug I am.

Seems I can get this for £58 a month plus the one off charges. Anywhere I can do better?

If you're not too worried about any sign up bonus that an online sign up can offer, you will get a better deal signing up to Sky at one of those kiosks that you find in a shopping centre. We moved recently and couldn't take Virgin with us so went back to Sky. For a one off fee of £10 we got the install of a satellite dish, SkyQ 1tb box and a Sky Q hub. The guys at these kiosks have a greater discretion on what they can offer you and what price you pay for the package you want. There are various costs involved if you do it online. One other benefit was that as soon as we signed up we were entitled to the COMPLETE Sky package via Sky Go for the first 30 days at no extra cost.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If you're not too worried about any sign up bonus that an online sign up can offer, you will get a better deal signing up to Sky at one of those kiosks that you find in a shopping centre. We moved recently and couldn't take Virgin with us so went back to Sky. For a one off fee of £10 we got the install of a satellite dish, SkyQ 1tb box and a Sky Q hub. The guys at these kiosks have a greater discretion on what they can offer you and what price you pay for the package you want. There are various costs involved if you do it online. One other benefit was that as soon as we signed up we were entitled to the COMPLETE Sky package via Sky Go for the first 30 days at no extra cost.

Interesting, I’d never have thought of that, thanks

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We have Sky Q and the drop-outs got so bad that we had to get the house wired up with Cat6 wiring as we had the secondary box in the kitchen and each time you turned the microwave on, it dropped out. There are still a few niggly problems, like if you turn it on too early in the morning - for which a good old reset of the main box sorts out the problem. It's worth noting that with Sky Q you never own the equipment, which is a mixed blessing.

Indeed, no more numerous cold calling companies offering satellite warranties!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
We have had Sky Q over 12 months. 3 boxes over three levels no problems with connections. Mini boxes can occasionally be a bit temperamental but only involves turning them off and on to reboot. As we had a problem with WiFi in some areas of the house got my provider to put us on dual band 5ghz seems to work best and hasn’t been a problem since.
Go for the bigger box. Our package cost £50 a month initially although a recent price increase saw it rise to £54. That’s everything, F1, Sports and movies but not kids tv.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

How strange when I turn my extractor on Sky cuts out for a second or two.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Interesting, I’d never have thought of that, thanks

BTW, as an aside because we have TV, broadband and phone, Sky offered us their mobile SIM ( O2 network) which my wife and I have taken up. We get 2gb data each ( unused rolled over), free calls and texts @ £3 a month for me and £6 a month for my wife. A fantastic saving for us.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I thought I did well to get Sky Q, sports, broadband and phone for £56 a month. Seems some have done better. Must up my haggling skills.

That said, they are buying me out the BT contract which has been a pain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here