Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Brighton & Hove Albion Cup ..played in Egypt in 1950

pafcprogs

Sep 14, 2017
Greetings

Plymouth fan here but I wandered if anyone could shed any light on this programme I have received in a a job lot

The match was played in Egypt between the RAF and Army for the Brighton and Hove Albion Cup ( presented by Mrs V E Groome) in 1950.

The programme is listed for sale on eBay...link below, but I would be intrigued to know if there is any information a Seagull Historian might have on how and why your club ended up with a a military trophy in Egypt!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254225594413

In the meantime I'll get back to my period of mourning and sackcloth and ashes

Nick a draw v City please :)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Greetings

Plymouth fan here but I wandered if anyone could shed any light on this programme I have received in a a job lot

The match was played in Egypt between the RAF and Army for the Brighton and Hove Albion Cup ( presented by Mrs V E Groome) in 1950.

The programme is listed for sale on eBay...link below, but I would be intrigued to know if there is any information a Seagull Historian might have on how and why your club ended up with a a military trophy in Egypt!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254225594413

In the meantime I'll get back to my period of mourning and sackcloth and ashes

Nick a draw v City please :)

From an article by Tim Carder (the club historian) in Newsletter no. 24 (Autumn 2005) of the Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society:-

...The other trophy, the Brighton and Hove Albion Cup, was awarded annually to the winners of a three-match series between the services. Two pages are reproduced on the following pages. Sadly, I have no picture of this trophy nor any other details. ...

The newsletter then includes two pages from the second round fixture between Royal Air Force (Egypt) and Army (Egypt), played at Victoria Lido in Fayid on Sunday February 6th 1949. It mentions that the Army currently held the trophy with two wins and a draw the previous year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here