Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Based on our season from early December until the end of the season Hughton is the last person I'd want in charge for 2019/2020. Sorry, that will upset a lot on here but we were bloody awful. Awful at everything for at least 23 games. It will take some determined effort for the new man to match that.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I’ve gotta say Tony has rolled the dice, but the more I think about it, the more I think he had to... the end of our season was an embarrassing mess, and it was mainly down to Chris...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
No no no, Potter hasn't joined us instantly, therefore he HATES us, therefore Bloom has made a terrible error, therefore we are doomed. Honestly, reading some of the dimwit comments on here from people who literally haven't got a clue what's happening (because none of us have) so have made up their own version, which they are furious about, is embarrassing.

It’s terrible, isn’t it? The initial reaction and underlying and unbiased assumptions of many on here. Namely Ashworth is already a problem and Potter isn’t interested because he isn’t touting himself. Strangely, people complained extensively that Poyet flirted regularly with the idea of moving to a ‘bigger’ club.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Based on our season from early December until the end of the season Hughton is the last person I'd want in charge for 2019/2020. Sorry, that will upset a lot on here but we were bloody awful. Awful at everything for at least 23 games. It will take some determined effort for the new man to match that.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Totally agree.

Mate and I were talking before the City game saying he should go as soon as possible because if he was in charge at he start of the season we'd be knackered. Personally feel we'd have been nailed on relegation fodder making it harder for us to get someone in to try and beat the drop.

Of course there's no guarantee that won't happen with the new man.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can't people stop bouncing this when there is no news

Each time I see it at the top of the board, i think......... :dunce:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The recent news that "Swansea have offered Potter an improved contract" I think is extremely telling. Think about it. Why would they announce it. Wouldn't they wait until he accepted before announcing that? Swansea ownership are already under extreme flack from their fans, this is a PR move to show there's nothing more they can do.

I expect Graham Potter to be holding the Albion flag next week with an announcement sometime after Monday. Keep the faith.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Potter will be a good appointment imo , But it’s dragging on abit . Maybe he’s having a re think and Phil has push to the top of the list .
Phil won't be top of the list because he is in another job until July - and the club want someone in soon [ short delay, not long delay ] ( according to the argus ).

If he suddenly resigns... then is the time to speculate !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He's spoken with them, they've offered him an improved deal, if reports are to be believed. There is very little chance, if he is as astute as he appears to be, that he will not take the chance to at least hear what we have to say.

The thing about Swansea that will maybe turn him against them is that they allegedly made a number of promises when he signed with them that they then promptly reneged on so he may not entirely trust them. Who knows???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyhow... Potter doesn't appear to have rushed to sign the new Swansea deal...
They only gave it to him yesterday at the earliest.....by the time he's reviewed it, spoke to his agent, family etc, then decided he wants to speak to us...... Would be surprised if we hear anything for at least a few days.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not coming.Swansea have told him he would have to change his name to Poitier if he came to Brighton.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's been gone less than a week. The point of saving him immediately was to give a much time s possible for recruitment. Its also impossible to have a manager in place if that manager is employed elsewhere. It takes a little time, and it is just a little time that has elapsed. This thread is indicative of the 'now now now' generation

Southampton sacked Mark Hughes on 03 December, compensation was agreed with Leipzig and Hasenhüttl appointed by 05 December and in charge of the team for their game v Cardiff on 08 December. Just saying.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Of course, it's only a hunch, but the delay is a concern. Due diligence in the initial planning process often saves delays and reduces the risk of a bollock being dropped. Bookies were starting to take bets on the new Brighton Manager before Hughton got the sack and Potter was 1/8 on. So some contact must have been had and it appears as if Potter's assistant wasn't as discrete as he should have been.
Hopefully it will be all tied up soon, but the longer this drags on the greater the chance of Potter not coming off and us having to rely on others on the short list.
If Phil Neville is on the short list ( and that is just a rumour of course) then I would be really concerned. Uninspiring as a personality to say the least, and I doubt very much whether he'd walk away from the Woman's England team before the World Cup.
Obviously there are other possible candidates, but are they better placed to make progress with BHA than Hughton was?

please stop worrying about hypothetical nonsence, let alone typing it so as the public can read it.

as for the last bit; well, it's bloomy's money, his shout, and chris has left the building, move on

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Southampton sacked Mark Hughes on 03 December, compensation was agreed with Leipzig and Hasenhüttl appointed by 05 December and in charge of the team for their game v Cardiff on 08 December. Just saying.

Did Leipzig try and keep him, or turn down Southamptons first approach?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He was not employed elsewhere at the time, and he beat the drop by 5 points instead of 2, Saints would have been in 17th on the same points we finished with if we had reversed the 1-0 defeat to them at home, I think Tony is looking for a bit more of an improvement than that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The recent news that "Swansea have offered Potter an improved contract" I think is extremely telling. Think about it. Why would they announce it. Wouldn't they wait until he accepted before announcing that? Swansea ownership are already under extreme flack from their fans, this is a PR move to show there's nothing more they can do.
That's a decent shout. Potter may choose to stay with Swansea, or he may want to come here (if he's offered the job). But if he really wasn't interested in coming here, he'd have taken Swansea's offer already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here