Page 80 of 262 FirstFirst ... 30707778798081828390130180 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was manager of Östersund in Sweden for 8 years, and took them from the fourth tier to the top division, won the cup and beat Arsenal at the Emirates in the Europa League last season, unlucky to go out in the 2nd leg.

Club could do much worse.
    I was lucky enough to see his Ostersunds team beat Arsenal at a half-empty Emirates (I was given a pair of tickets by a mate who literally couldn’t get rid of them). They were superb, pressed Arsenal high and worked unbelievably hard. It was incredibly impressive to see live and if we got him and played a similar style, fans should be a lot happier*.

*providing things go well...
    "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      I was lucky enough to see his Ostersunds team beat Arsenal at a half-empty Emirates (I was given a pair of tickets by a mate who literally couldn’t get rid of them). They were superb, pressed Arsenal high and worked unbelievably hard. It was incredibly impressive to see live and if we got him and played a similar style, fans should be a lot happier*.

If that is his style then the door beckons for Murray, Stephens, Gross and Propper. None would be capable of that style IMO.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
      If that is his style then the door beckons for Murray, Stephens, Gross and Propper. None would be capable of that style IMO.
      Good none of them are good enough

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post

Problem is I dont think the players we have can do all that running around , most of them seemed to lack the fitness for a normal 90 mins let alone one where they have to run around all the time. Add in to that half the players (Knocky , Locadia in particular) rarely chased every ball down when they lost it in attack and usually jogged back into position.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      If James Milner and Jordan Henderson can become fairly vital cogs in Klopp’s geggenpress system, I wouldn’t write them off yet. However, you’d imagine if the club are serious about progressing Murray will not be relied on so heavily next year.
      Wanna balloon? Johnny RoastBeef's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Pressing high and working hard? You don't think they can do that?

That's the easy part of football, if you're coached well. The hard bit is where we struggle.
      "Johnny RoastBeef had to keep them all tied up and away from the alarms"

0 Not allowed!
      Anyone remember when De Boer took over at Palace and tried to get their existing players to play an expansive style?
      I don't recall it being a huge success.
      The voice of hindsight.
      Bring back Chris Hughton.
      Members the right footed denilson's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
      Anyone remember when De Boer took over at Palace and tried to get their existing players to play an expansive style?
      I don't recall it being a huge success.
      I'm not sure potter's style is 'expansive'
      How long? Not long
      Because what you reap, is what you sow.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
      Problem is I dont think the players we have can do all that running around , most of them seemed to lack the fitness for a normal 90 mins let alone one where they have to run around all the time. Add in to that half the players (Knocky , Locadia in particular) rarely chased every ball down when they lost it in attack and usually jogged back into position.
      Ostersunds basically shared 50% of the possession with a possession-based Arsène Wenger side though. It’s always less tiring if you aren’t chasing the ball and not holding on to it. What impressed me most is this team that shouldn’t have had a hope in hell on paper, contained well, retained the ball when necessary and picked their moments to attack superbly.

I would have predicted big changes in the squad regardless of the current situation but wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the longer serving players go and be replaced by faster, younger models.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
      I think that's a bit harsh on Knocky. There are times when he gets frustrated and 'gives up', throwing his arms up etc. But most of the time he works his socks off chasing back.

In general, the right manager, fitness regime and judicious recruitment can turn any team into a pressing , hard working one. Take an example from Sunday - Mahrez. He came to City with a skilful but lazy reputation. I noted how he chased back and won the ball deep in the 2nd half - Pep doesn't put up with anything else.
      Harry!Harry!Harry!
      Brighton v Crystal Palace
      Games won: 40
      Games drawn: 26
      Games lost: 36