Page 67 of 260 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077117167 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 2598
  1. #661
    Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Goldstone
    Posts
    40,888


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SUIYHP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    my main criticism is that he seemed to take the stance of ‘We’ll do what’s enough’ at times when we really shouldn’t be assuming that what we have done is ‘enough’. It caught us out with Newcastle for the championship title and it nearly caught us out against Cardiff.
    Sorry, but that's nonsense. We weren't expecting to win the Championship, but we got 7 points (I think) ahead of Newcastle with 3 games left - the idea that Chris then didn't try to win the remaining games, because we'd done enough, is ludicrous. Likewise we did more than enough last season, and we were on target to improve this season. We changed the way we played (an attempt to improve) and with injuries to the likes of Gross and Izquierdo, and some bad luck on the pitch, it all went wrong. In the end we were close to relegation, but to surmise that that was a result of only wanting to do 'enough' is again, ludicrous.

    I am a little cynical of the club going for Potter, because I think attacking football is hard to pull off and Potter’s still unproven on the EPL level, whether he has the tactics (and the team has the quality) remains to be seen. Saying that, I commend the club for trying something different and the thing about Tony is that he’s made a considerable fortune on taking measured risks.

    Neutrals are fickle and the media will spin a story that sells, but as we have seen, even some of the more disinterested pundits such as Wright have understood what we are doing. You’re going to have the rabid idiots who think in black and white but I think those who even paid the slightest amount of attention at least appreciated what was going on, even if they agreed/disagreed.
    Agreed.
    Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #662
      ID10T Error dadams2k11's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      3,118


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SUIYHP View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I don’t feel particularly divided at the moment. I was a Hughton ‘in’ and I am sad that Chris is gone, plus I think the fact some are quick to dismiss him is incredibly disrespectful for everything he has done for us. However, I also am not afraid to admit that numbers don’t lie and the ones at the end of this season we’re not encouraging for our prospects next one. Chris is a good man and a solid manager but he has his faults, my main criticism is that he seemed to take the stance of ‘We’ll do what’s enough’ at times when we really shouldn’t be assuming that what we have done is ‘enough’. It caught us out with Newcastle for the championship title and it nearly caught us out against Cardiff. I’m not saying that we should be reckless, but we were too complacent at times when teams around us were pushing harder and playing better.

      I am a little cynical of the club going for Potter, because I think attacking football is hard to pull off and Potter’s still unproven on the EPL level, whether he has the tactics (and the team has the quality) remains to be seen. Saying that, I commend the club for trying something different and the thing about Tony is that he’s made a considerable fortune on taking measured risks.

      Neutrals are fickle and the media will spin a story that sells, but as we have seen, even some of the more disinterested pundits such as Wright have understood what we are doing. You’re going to have the rabid idiots who think in black and white but I think those who even paid the slightest amount of attention at least appreciated what was going on, even if they agreed/disagreed.
      Very good post and my sentiments entirely.
    • #663
      Members GT49er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Gloucester
      Posts
      24,306


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's yesterday's news, which you'll see if you scroll up a few pages.

      It's just about money and us meeting their valuation.
      Sorry, I was going with the five minutes ago news on SSN.


      Edit: Update - SSN are now reporting it will cost us £2M (release clause). Should be better value than Locadia, then. Personally think we'd still look a bit silly if Potter turns us down anyway - wonder how this will turn out.
      Last edited by GT49er; 15-05-2019 at 10:12.
    • #664
      Members Kalimantan Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Location
      Central Borneo / the Lizard
      Posts
      8,620


      3 Not allowed!
      The way I see it with Potter, he is inexperienced at the highest level, so there's a risk.... But clearly his potential is there for all to see... We could wait for him to get experience elsewhere first, to prove himself, but then a bigger club than us would get him, we'd miss out. So there is also a risk in not signing him

      So if Potter is actually a football genius, the only way we can get him is by taking a chance now. And if he isn't, we get rid. Have big sam keep us up, and go again next summer.

      I guess I'm excited by bloom trying to get an unproven star.... It worked with poyet, not with hyypia, but we are trying again.... we've sacked the safe pair of hands, so not point just getting another one like that
    • #665
      Members wellquickwoody's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      10,263


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yep

      Nobody should be 'pleased' such an honourable man lost his job.
      Maybe this has already been pointed out? But......

      I actually expected CH to be given at least until Xmas so I was very surprised about Monday morning. He is an honourable chap, a gent of the game. But he was fired.

      Having lost his job his complete contract will be paid up, 2 or 3 years wages, whatever the contract says. The football world has great respect for him and a Championship, or maybe even another Prem side will snap him up. Financially he will actually be better off. So although this may have knocked the wind out of him, let us not feel TOO sorry for him. He knows the ‘rules’ of football management and was happy to play by them.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals
    • #666
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      40,888


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve.S View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Like they did with Hyypia another untested manager?
      Yes.

      Now is not the time for experimenting.
      It seems the club disagree with you.
      At least Chris had a good record in getting teams up and he can also add keeping them up to his CV. I’m prepared to stick my neck out and say by Christmas we will be regretting what we wished for.
      Well I certainly didn't wish for it, and I'm also concerned that the club will regret the decision, but the decision's been made, so I'm ready to support whomever the club appoint.

      Just also remember when you say you trust the club, they have also been responsible for buying in the players we have. AJ what a season he has had.
      I'm not prepared to write-off AJ yet, let's see how he does with a new manager and new formation. Regardless of whether he succeeds or not, even the best clubs make poor signings sometimes. Obviously Tony is in a better place to know whether this is the right thing to do than we are. Of course it's a gamble. Sticking with Hughton would also have been a gamble. I'll just hope it works out.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #667
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      23,767


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Truthsayer View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Are we getting a new team now too?
      4 spare places in the 25 ( given Izquierdo is out until New Year ) as it is.
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Hemed, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Suttner
    • #668
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      23,767


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by wellquickwoody View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Maybe this has already been pointed out? But......

      I actually expected CH to be given at least until Xmas so I was very surprised about Monday morning. He is an honourable chap, a gent of the game. But he was fired.

      Having lost his job his complete contract will be paid up, 2 or 3 years wages, whatever the contract says. The football world has great respect for him and a Championship, or maybe even another Prem side will snap him up. Financially he will actually be better off. So although this may have knocked the wind out of him, let us not feel TOO sorry for him. He knows the ‘rules’ of football management and was happy to play by them.
      I always thought contract 'pay ups' are just continued monthly salary payments - minus earnings from any future job ?

      Might be wrong on that.
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Hemed, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Suttner
    • #669
      Members dwayne's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      London
      Posts
      9,466


      0 Not allowed!
      An interesting balanced view on potter .... Some negatives thrown in. Loves a tinker so obviously very different to Hughton



      Let’s be honest, GP has done an outstanding job, with what he was left with. Especially his integration of the youngsters, from U23, into Championship football*
      *Achieving a 10th spot, and just missing the play offs, with one recognised striker, and a dodgy keeper, was nothing short of a miracle.*
      Having said that, I haven’t been that impressed with that many Championship sides I’ve seen close up, at Liberty stadium.*
      Looking at the walesonline site, they are saying it would cost £2m to pay off GP’s 2 yr contract, if a club comes in for him.
      So i assume he’s is on a Million a year.*
      Not a bad wage.*
      If you wanted to be slightly sceptical about things, perhaps a lot of the credit for the emergence of the youngsters, maybe has go to Toshack and Richards, and believe it or not, Mr Huw Jenkins, who saw the potential in Toshack, as a coach in the first place.*

      Good article here ~~>
      https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...citys-15503216
      So do we go down the old .....”In Graham we trust” routine, and believe he is the latest Messiah, who does no wrong?

      Or do we have a look at some of the issues that perhaps, didn’t work out so well?

      Zonal marking.*
      I think we were the highest in the league, for conceding goals (17) from set pieces.*
      Obviously having a team of vertically challenged, short arses, doesn’t help.*
      But right at the end of the season, he went for man to man marking, and this seemed to suit the aforementioned short arses better, in blocking runs, which you would have thought would have been a prerequisite, in a zonal system, but they seemed better suited to this change.*

      Picking the wrong team to start, then making 2 subs at half time.*

      Picking Nortfeldt when Mulder was clearly the better keeper, earlier in the season.*

      Then dropping Mulder when he was playing well, probably putting doubts in his mind.*

      How many times have we only played well for one half. ?

      Opposition managers change their tactics, especially away games (normally at half time,) they come out, and start to dominate, he doesn’t seem to counteract these changes, until it’s too late.*

      Two of his signings, McKay and Asoro, haven’t exactly set the football world alight.*

      McKay in particular, has played in 35 games, and has looked useless in most of them.
      He must be fabulous in training, to secure that much game time.*

      At least he has made it into the first team, for a good amount of games.*
      Asoro has been here a full season, what sort of value is he bringing to our beleaguered first team squad?
      Another one drawing wages, and not playing.*

      GP and his scouts, will have to earn their wages big time, in the summer, *and bring in real value to strengthen the squad, after what I fear, will be a summer of discontent, with some of the jewels in the crown being flogged.*

      My only hope is they are not sold on the cheap, and that he has a decent war chest to work with.*
      If the Yanks do the opposite, then GP may we’ll think his job is untenable.*

      End of season report :
      A+*
      Could do better. So much better with the right backing !!!!


      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    • #670
      Members Bevendean Hillbilly's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Nestling in green nowhere
      Posts
      12,127


      0 Not allowed!
      I’ve been following Graham Potters progress since I first read about him last year.

      Personally, I agree it’s risky, however I’m excited that BHA have found probably the most exciting “prospect” outside the big leagues and want to give him a crack at the PL. He promotes youth, plays attacking football and turns flabby teams into opponents to be feared.

      Next Pochettino? Who knows...but it’s going to be an interesting season.
      I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •