Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
1.jpg
He is on his way!.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Surely you can use this argument with any manager with the exception of the ones that finished above us in the league and I have a feeling Pep, Poch or Jurgen aren't available?

Yes, but it’s about proven track record.

This is a step into the unknown. Swedish football and mid-table Championship are hardly endorsing credentials.

The Sevilla chap and German seem more promising, as would Arteta and Lampard (though Derby were a bit poor at The Amex, shape wise)....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

This is a step into the unknown. Swedish football and mid-table Championship are hardly endorsing credentials.

The Sevilla chap and German seem more promising, as would Arteta and Lampard (though Derby were a bit poor at The Amex, shape wise)....

No. Lampard has achieved less as a manager and Arteta has never been a manager. The clamour for both is purely based on reputation as players.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

not sure I follow this logic.

Lampard has less experience in years and hasn't managed at a higher level.
Arteta has never been a manager.

yes, they've played/coached under great managers, but they've not done it themselves at a higher level than Potter.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Surely you can use this argument with any manager with the exception of the ones that finished above us in the league and I have a feeling Pep, Poch or Jurgen aren't available?

Considering where we finished in the league there is a tad more than three....and hey who says it should just be PL

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
not sure I follow this logic.

Lampard has less experience in years and hasn't managed at a higher level.
Arteta has never been a manager.

yes, they've played/coached under great managers, but they've not done it themselves at a higher level than Potter.

What experience of the PL has Potter at any level?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
More on that (not much more)
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/17642690.albion-play-waiting-game-on-potter-talks/

“Albion remain confident of bringing in Potter and his coaching staff, despite having an initial approach knocked back. The process of securing clearance to open negotiations with Potter has been left in a holding pattern by the fact Swansea’s joint owners are on opposite coasts of the USA, one in Los Angeles.”

FFS
Didn’t realise they didn’t have telephones in USA
I hope they talk to each other before August

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Possibly, or more likely working with Ashworth they will find exceptional young British talent, buy them cheap, develop them into stars and sell them on for massive profits, whilst sustaining our Premier League status. Like an English version of the Benfica model.

So we can expect more players being pumped through the Development Squad, but with hopefully sight of some coming through the other side and into the 1st Team.

That is the impression I get as well from this approach. We are not about to splash out on players at or approaching their peak, with some experience here, etc.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

I'd have thought that went without saying.

So would I, but judging by the people who are suggesting Lampard and Neville - apparently it does need saying.

(Sorry, that line in your comment related to getting someone in sooner rather than later to deal with recruitment).

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Gus Poyet had no experience as a manager before us, just an assistant at leeds. So why are we even knocking Graham Potter.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No. Lampard has achieved less as a manager and Arteta has never been a manager. The clamour for both is purely based on reputation as players.

Well in his first season Lampard is at Wembley....... pretty good if you ask me.

Furthermore as we saw with Poyet, selling the club to prospective new signings is key, and as a player you are likely to be more impressed with an ex-player with a reputation, rather than someone you’ve never heard of.

Arteta same applies, but he was apparently linked with Arsenal as well.

So no, I don’t agree

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I imagine that Dan Ashworth bases his recruitment targets on the feedback on NSC with its band of experts.

He’s probably read the comments on Potters lack of PL experience, that Ostersunds are “gash” and that Potter looks strange in a hat and thought...”hang on, I hadn’t thought of that...I’d better look at someone else”

That’s what I’d do if I were him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
think that's me you're referring to - and no I've been here through the good and bad of Hughton's reign (although fortunately did miss some home games this season)

my point still stands - it's commercially ridiculous that all our replica shirts are available for 6-7 year olds apart from our actual home kit.

I was thinking about someone who kicked off because, well I don’t remember the fine details... something to do with a FREE shirt I think

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I imagine that Dan Ashworth bases his recruitment targets on the feedback on NSC with its band of experts.

He’s probably read the comments on Potters lack of PL experience, that Ostersunds are “gash” and that Potter looks strange in a hat and thought...”hang on, I hadn’t thought of that...I’d better look at someone else”

That’s what I’d do if I were him.

This. I worked with Ashworth (briefly) at the FA, he is a very, very impressive and extremely well-respected person. The more I read about Potter the more it seems like a match made in heaven, he sounds very similar to Southgate (who I also had contact with at the FA) and exactly the type Ashworth would work really well with and be keen to get. The club is being progressive making this change, let us hope we can persuade potter and if not someone similar.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was thinking about someone who kicked off because, well I don’t remember the fine details... something to do with a FREE shirt I think
I think it's was to do with not REMEMBERING how old your own CHILD is, blaming THE club for your own INCOMPETENCE and then moaning ABOUT it. On a public FORUM.

#FREESHIRTGATE

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This. I worked with Ashworth (briefly) at the FA, he is a very, very impressive and extremely well-respected person. The more I read about Potter the more it seems like a match made in heaven, he sounds very similar to Southgate (who I also had contact with at the FA) and exactly the type Ashworth would work really well with and be keen to get. The club is being progressive making this change, let us hope we can persuade potter and if not someone similar.
He does seem similar to Southgate doesn't he? Good spot that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here