Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No matter who is in charge, though, there is a complete lack of leadership on the pitch. Addressing that would have been my number one priority; not changing the manager.
Although when Bis went a little me, me, me cray-cray over the freekick, the leadership on the pitch did quickly and effortlessly sort out the potential problem.

Ok so Duffman just walked into Bis and then just kept walking, away from the ball.
Granted that was a little 'agricultural' but something that has been lacking in other Premier League clubs, this season.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Apparently 'no further contact so far today' , Albion playing the waiting game or already considering other candidates ? thats if you believe the WalesOnline website

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...atest-brightons-pursuit-swansea-city-16281515

Id imagine with all of this its loads of posturing.....Swansea behind scenes trying to encourage manager to stay....trying to formulate a plan to show its worth staying for... But ultimately its all down to if he wants to come to us... Tony being the shrewd man he is will know the games being played here and will give it appropriate time before playing final hand.... Id imagine anyway!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
There still seems to be this long standing misconception (especially on this thread) that you are either defensive or ‘expansive’

Expansive has to be the most irritating word in the football vernacular currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think expansive is a good word. Its all about space and how you use it. Doesn't necessarily mean attacking it just means find the space and exploit it

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Our defence is mustard at backs-to-the-wall defending, but make them play a high line, and they won't look up to much all of a sudden. I love D&D, especially Dunk, but they lack pace, and this means that we probably have to sit deep and this, in turn, invites all sorts of other problems. The best teams play a high line, because they know their CBs (and defenders more generally) are as quick as the opponents' forwards. You look at our current team, and it's snail-like down the spine (out wide it's much better).

This. Throwing bodies in the way of everything with your CB partner and FB 5-yards either side of you, is very different to what might be required of them next season.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Potter may not work out, i have no problem with that prediction, and i well remember the last time you were this adamant about someone being a mistake it was Suttner so we may get to test your premonitions a second time..

.. but to say we're not an attractive proposition is ridiculous. Only 20 clubs in the richest domestic league in the world, only another 10 or so European megaliths, we're desirable all right.....

he only guessed, he hadn't seen him play

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It’s all quiet ......

Quiet is the Brighton way - no leaks

Announcement Friday I bet.

Thursday evening or Friday morning I am imagining. Going to cost us £2m to buy him out of contract (think we can negotiate them down from the 3) and GP will be told this is coming out of his transfer budget for the summer.

But, the fat lady is gargling now, will be warming up tomorrow and serenading GP's press conference at Lancing within 40hours.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Recruitment primarily.

The whole ‘Moneyball’ theory is all very well, but we don’t seem to have applied parameters like playing in an ‘inferior’ league and ‘apparently’ have no idea regarding pace (see AJ).

If Hughton’s tactic was to sit deep and break fast, he never had the tools as pace was lacking. We never purchased a viable CF to replace Murray, although we tried. Inevitably, the trouble with playing forwards vs defence is that eventually you will concede (Spurs away).

In terms of the players, I simply cannot believe they stopped trying or anything similar, I just think their shortcomings were found out. Show Knockaert/Izquierdo down the line, close AJ down, rattle Propper early on, rough Dunk up, play a high line because BHA forwards have no pace. That’s without thinking - we were predictable.

When Chris tried to change it, he came unstuck because the personnel at his disposal are limited, hence the bad run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before Monday I would agree with all you have written, and if he was retained that would have been an acknowledgement from the club for recruitment being the problem.

I would suspect without any inside knowledge and only going by intuition that the main criticism could be with his training methods and not ironing out all the problems effectively.

If the club trusts its recruitment and Dan Ashworth has advised that a different training method and schedule is required, then a change of manager has to happen because the training method and schedules is the managers job and is directly related to how he sees the game. It would be difficult saying to Hughton that he has got his training method wrong and then dictate another to him. It has to come from the manager himself who believes his methods are the right way.

If Hughton couldn't work with the players he has, or coach them into bettering themselves, then to actually keep him on would be like putting a curse on him next season when the club have lost confidence in his methods anyway.

I see the clubs actions as being kind to him under the circumstances and if he gets this West Brom job and fresh faces to work with I couldn't be happier because he can still prove himself. I would imagine that this has been a huge weight off his shoulders after a long tiring season, and he doesn't have to solve any of this seasons problems over the summer.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Thursday evening or Friday morning I am imagining. Going to cost us £2m to buy him out of contract (think we can negotiate them down from the 3) and GP will be told this is coming out of his transfer budget for the summer.

But, the fat lady is gargling now, will be warming up tomorrow and serenading GP's press conference at Lancing within 40hours.

Sounds the typical way...nothing at all then suddenly bam.....Interesting that we supposedly havent contacted them today..yet it has also been said that we are in constant dialogue/negotiations...

I suppose things will speed up once Potter makes his mind up formally..ie says he wants to come or wants to stay... (maybe we are also sitting on the result of Derby game tonight to see if we want to investigate that avenue further??)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's Ok, our defence is MUSTARD.

Besides, I am firmly of the view that attack is, at least, a good form of defense. It would be nice to have the opposition actually have some concern about us getting in behind. Playing defensively as we have done has only allowed the opposition to press as high as they like and play attack vs defense for most of 90 minutes.

We also have pretty decent attacking options, time we used them. I have a lot of confidence in our defense/GK, there is no reason we can't leave the defending to them.

RB (without Bruno) is from mustard, it’s a huge weakness.

Exploited with ease by Mendez-Laing, Redmond, Fraser, etc, etc.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Before Monday I would agree with all you have written, and if he was retained that would have been an acknowledgement from the club for recruitment being the problem.

I would suspect without any inside knowledge and only going by intuition that the main criticism could be with his training methods and not ironing out all the problems effectively.

If the club trusts its recruitment and Dan Ashworth has advised that a different training method and schedule is required, then a change of manager has to happen because the training method and schedules is the managers job and is directly related to how he sees the game. It would be difficult saying to Hughton that he has got his training method wrong and then dictate another to him. It has to come from the manager himself who believes his methods are the right way.

If Hughton couldn't work with the players he has, or coach them into bettering themselves, then to actually keep him on would be like putting a curse on him next season when the club have lost confidence in his methods anyway.

I see the clubs actions as being kind to him under the circumstances and if he gets this West Brom job and fresh faces to work with I couldn't be happier because he can still prove himself. I would imagine that this has been a huge weight off his shoulders after a long tiring season, and he doesn't have to solve any of this seasons problems over the summer.

But this does not explain why our attacking and coaching worked so successfully in the championship. I feel Ashworth has rocked the boat (an unpopular theory I know, but it's how I feel). Whilst I don't know either way, I can only go by the fact that we were doing okay (steady if unspectacular) prior to his arrival. The recruitment any way you look at it has been a problem, and I would be surprised if Locadia particularly turned into a world beater overnight or if AJ gained a resemblance of pace. If Ashworth improves that aspect, then that is good, but I can't help feeling we have lost a good manager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poor choice of wording (note how I have had to include the bracketed sentence).
Couldn't you have used 'Jewish acumen' for instance, or even 'Jewish culture'?

Possibly, I had plenty of dealings in Hove back in the day. Hard bargaining, absolute gents once a deal was agreed.

I did not mean to offend in any way and you are probably right, bad phrasing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's good to hear. What was it for, a position, contract?

Selling travel and I had plenty of repeat clients, I just had to be aware that I needed to do a deal, however small the discount. There had to be a deal though.

All I was suggesting was that TB would not just take the opening gambit, nothing to do with whether he could afford the price.

Probably worth mentioning that I had dealings with his relatives too :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

No he inherits some new problems.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But this does not explain why our attacking and coaching worked so successfully in the championship. I feel Ashworth has rocked the boat (an unpopular theory I know, but it's how I feel). Whilst I don't know either way, I can only go by the fact that we were doing okay (steady if unspectacular) prior to his arrival. The recruitment any way you look at it has been a problem, and I would be surprised if Locadia particularly turned into a world beater overnight or if AJ gained a resemblance of pace. If Ashworth improves that aspect, then that is good, but I can't help feeling we have lost a good manager.

We did lose a good manager but Ashworth has been brought in for a second opinion. Bloom and Barber know sweet fa about the footballing side so they wouldn't know where Chris was doing things effectively or not. As I said earlier Chris is quite old school, which isn't a bad thing, but the modern game has changed. With Potter he seems to be highly qualified in sports psychology so maybe his motivational skills are better in the modern game.

I am just second guessing and it could go tits up, but I am really looking forward to seeing what can be done with our current, plus a few more players, next season under a new coach. If it was something we could try out and get Hughton back if it doesn't work that would be great, but I have often wondered how we would perform under a different manager and now I can put that curiosity to bed for better or worse.

It is a risk but a risk worth taking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here