Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Talking of pond life on Twitter, look at this, where do you start with what's wrong?
d282af09fabd90ebe8c31ecf23ba84ab.jpg

It's a parody account.
Not a funny one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we employ an unexperienced manager who wants to play attacking football we're going to get ripped apart. Prepare for a long season. And remind yourselves to be careful what you wish for.

I’d be cautious too. Looking at Swansea’s away games against the bigger teams in the Championship, they were routinely being smashed 3-0 or so whilst giving away set-piece goal after set-piece goal. We could have to forget about marginal 1-0 defeats at Anfield or fantastic draws at the Emirates. We’re going to be shipping plenty with this guy.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
They lost their nerve very early though..

Saints made a great move with Pocchetino that got them a similar slagging off to us and CH at the time. That turned out rather better.

And their new Austrian chap definitely helped turned them around, I'm sure with Hughes they would have gone instead of Cardiff

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I’d be cautious too. Looking at Swansea’s away games against the bigger teams in the Championship, they were routinely being smashed 3-0 or so whilst giving away set-piece goal after set-piece goal. We could have to forget about marginal 1-0 defeats at Anfield or fantastic draws at the Emirates. We’re going to be shipping plenty with this guy.
....with a rubbish defence and abysmal goalie yes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He's not playing expansive football at Swansea he's a pragmatic manager that likes to play passing football. With an emphasis on attack.

Do you think he got those great results against European giants with a Swedish minnow playing 'expansive' football. No he can adapt game to game and within games.

Give the guy some respect he's clearly not an idiot !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well said. Some of these 'arguments' use such extreme examples. Attacking appears to be used in the context of trying to lay seige to the opposition goal, expansive is the current word of the moment too. Teams that try to attack the big boys get 'ripped to shreds' suggesting we should never expect to win, even though there are as many examples of success as there are of complete annihilation.

For some there's no middle ground, build a side that is more positive in its approach, look to move the ball quicker and with more accuracy and play more of our game in advanced positions. Pisses me when some just shout down what seem like fairly sensible expectations with such daft rhetoric

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Maybe one for another thread, but how many sides have tried to change things up in the way we seem to be, and what were the results?

The only one that comes to mind is the Palace / de Boer experiment. That one didn't go too well...

What about this season with Jokanović at Fulham?

From memory, Glenn Roeder at West Ham? Kinnear at Newcastle? Not top flight but Hyypia?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Fair comment. It was a bit trite. But I've seen numerous examples of clubs opening up, trying to play attacking football and being ripped to pieces. I honestly don't think we've got the squad to do it. If we sign Potter and we try to play the way Swansea do in the PL, £50 to REMF says he'll be gone before the end of the season. Totally hope I'm wrong. Hand on heart I think Hughton set up the way he did because we don't have the attacking players to approach games any differently.

I disagree, we have attacking players who were being stifled in an overtly defensive system.

Andone, Bissouma, Propper, Knockaert, Gross, Alireza, March and Locadia were all having to sacrifice their attacking instincts to play Hughtons way.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I disagree, we have attacking players who were being stifled in an overtly defensive system.

Andone, Bissouma, Propper, Knockaert, Gross, Alireza, March and Locadia were all having to sacrifice their attacking instincts to play Hughtons way.

I understand what you're saying, and likewise with [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] - it's a fair comment. Personally I feel Hughton did give those players a go particularly post December when we were all but safe AND he changed the system to make us more attacking. It was a complete failure. Why? You say tactics, I say players. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Initially they were zonal marking which I think was why they were giving up a lot of set piece goals..... as the season went on they changed that and improved.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Got a feeling if this comes off, its either going to be an inspired choice or a disaster with no middle ground.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

had a quick look at Swansea's recent games

away form is appalling

at QPR last month 72% possession but lost 4-0

hope it's not all that tippy tappy shit at the back

that will not work in the premier league

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Initially they were zonal marking which I think was why they were giving up a lot of set piece goals..... as the season went on they changed that and improved.

They also had average defenders.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I understand what you're saying, and likewise with [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] - it's a fair comment. Personally I feel Hughton did give those players a go particularly post December when we were all but safe AND he changed the system to make us more attacking. It was a complete failure. Why? You say tactics, I say players. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Indeed. If we are to play a more assertive game (pressing at times, breaking quickly, holding a higher line) it can't be with Gross and Murray as our most attacking duo.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
And their new Austrian chap definitely helped turned them around, I'm sure with Hughes they would have gone instead of Cardiff

he did finish 2nd in the Bundesliga

proven track record in my book

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here