Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At a guess Trollop and Nevin may have been too complacent and just did their job putting the cones out. If they were inspirational coaches we may have kept them on, but it seems that they were not rated for a top half Prem side either.

It seems like they didn't do themselves any favours let alone Hughton, but this is pure speculation on my part..
If Nevin is such a bad coach why has he been called in to help out the recent England squad camps. I would think that it is more likely that any incoming manager will want to bring in his own back room staff, which is usual. The days of Mullery being employed and told he had to have Lloyd as no 2 are gone.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not meant to be snide but telling us to be careful what we wish for is trite. I would take just about anything over the shit I’ve watched most of this season.

Fair comment. It was a bit trite. But I've seen numerous examples of clubs opening up, trying to play attacking football and being ripped to pieces. I honestly don't think we've got the squad to do it. If we sign Potter and we try to play the way Swansea do in the PL, £50 to REMF says he'll be gone before the end of the season. Totally hope I'm wrong. Hand on heart I think Hughton set up the way he did because we don't have the attacking players to approach games any differently.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If Nevin is such a bad coach why has he been called in to help out the recent England squad camps. I would think that it is more likely that any incoming manager will want to bring in his own back room staff, which is usual. The days of Mullery being employed and told he had to have Lloyd as no 2 are gone.

I didn't say he was a bad coach.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair comment. It was a bit trite. But I've seen numerous examples of clubs opening up, trying to play attacking football and being ripped to pieces. I honestly don't think we've got the squad to do it. If we sign Potter and we try to play the way Swansea do in the PL, £50 to REMF says he'll be gone before the end of the season. Totally hope I'm wrong. Hand on heart I think Hughton set up the way he did because we don't have the attacking players to approach games any differently.

Maybe one for another thread, but how many sides have tried to change things up in the way we seem to be, and what were the results?

The only one that comes to mind is the Palace / de Boer experiment. That one didn't go too well...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Who knows :shrug: we all call it as we see it. I don’t think the attacking players had a chance this season as they had no support. Yes I get that we could be taken apart but other teams have survived without having the handbrake on all season.

We will be finding out if it was a mistake or not, I hope I enjoy the ride more than last season. Nothing is certain.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe one for another thread, but how many sides have tried to change things up in the way we seem to be, and what were the results?

The only one that comes to mind is the Palace / de Boer experiment. That one didn't go too well...

They lost their nerve very early though..

Saints made a great move with Pocchetino that got them a similar slagging off to us and CH at the time. That turned out rather better.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Southampton when they sacked Adkins and brought in Pochettino went better? Leicester when they sacked Pearson and got in Ranieri went very well after a very dodgy start. I'm sure there are others.

Patience is the issue here for me. I suspect Bloom is more patient for results than Palace were.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

I see it this way too. If TB wants attractive football and to remain out of the bottom three I do believe he is going to need to pay the going rate for wages and up the amounts paid for transfers to get in some real experience and skill. If he is prepared to do this fine, I can understand why he would look for a new manager. However if not, well, things to my mind do not look too rosy right now.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

He's not playing expansive football at Swansea he's a pragmatic manager that likes to play passing football. With an emphasis on attack.

Do you think he got those great results against European giants with a Swedish minnow playing 'expansive' football. No he can adapt game to game and within games.

Give the guy some respect he's clearly not an idiot !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Potter isn’t an out and out attacking coach as some seem to believe more a coach who teaches players to dominate the ball and win it back as high up the pitch as possible. Swansea improves a lot under his guidance as the season went on. If he’s the one give the guy a chance to stamp his way of playing.
March and Bissouma for starters would thrive under him in my opinion

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You're telling me the witchhunts on here and twitter and the booing at games hasn't contributed to this change?
The fans also hounded Ashley Barnes out. Proving how little they know.

I doubt it had any contribution, no.

A few dickheads near me have been boo'ing Barnes, all loan signings, Bong, Stephens and Baldock for years.

Personally I think it is ****ing tragic as I would just vote with my feet if I was that disgruntled, but understand that some regard it as a means to express discontent.

I really doubt TB needed alerting to just how dire we were vs Bournemouth and Cardiff by some boo boys, or comments made by some pond life on twitter in order to come to this decision.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

A few dickheads near me have been boo'ing Barnes, all loan signings, Bong, Stephens and Baldock for years.

Personally I think it is ****ing tragic as I would just vote with my feet if I was that disgruntled, but understand that some regard it as a means to express discontent.

I really doubt TB needed alerting to just how dire we were vs Bournemouth and Cardiff by some boo boys, or comments made by some pond life on twitter in order to come to this decision.
Talking of pond life on Twitter, look at this, where do you start with what's wrong?
d282af09fabd90ebe8c31ecf23ba84ab.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Exactly. TB has already said that it was the inability to win any of the last nine games that did for Chris. I don't doubt that it was more than that, but it will have had nothing to do with anything said or written by fans.

As if the owner of a multi million pound business would make the most key decision about it based on what some "customers" wrote on a forum. No chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here