Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All this talk of Potter going to the Geordies. Surely they will go for the greatest manager of all time in every known galaxy - Bielsa?

Oh my! I would absolutely LOVE this to happen.

Leeds fall apart.

All the galacticos signed by the Saudis refuse to put in the ludicrous training regime Bielsa wants, and that all goes pear shaped.

Sign me up.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Potter and his family are very happy and settled down here, he won't leave unless it's a ridiculous sum of money, and on top of that it has to be the right project

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agree with that, I can't see him wanting to go to Newcastle.

The Newcastle gig is a a huge risk for whoever gets it. If there is not immediate success they are going to be in the firing line pretty quickly. I think Graham values the job security he has at Brighton.

Is it bad taste to suggest that this could be taken literally??

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is it bad taste to suggest that this could be taken literally??

I think he deliberately refrained from using the phrase "he could be for the chop"

Either way, GP would be well advised to stay clear of national embassies if he does take the job and goes on a run of bad results

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd say to any manager looking to take the Newcastle job, just look at the way the fans have treated Bruce. He's one of theirs and he's been given horrendous stick from the start

If I was an in demand manager, I wouldn't work under those owners and I wouldn't want to be at a club with those fans.

The funny thing about Bruce is that he has a similar (slightly better a couple of weeks ago) record to GP since GP joined Brighton :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s going to be hard work for any manager at Newcastle, selling clubs will raise the price to silliness levels for players they have interest in. They only have high wages to offer right now no European football top players already have plenty in the bank.

The new manager will have no idea about the patience of the owners and if he has a bad run best to avoid any embassies or invited trips abroad & pizza ovens.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Has there been any speculation on how much it would cost Newcastle in compensation - effectively a transfer fee - to break Potter's 3.5 year remaining contract with us? I think it cost them in the region of £4m to take Steve Bruce off of Wednesday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Brian Owen in the Argus reporting this morning that the links with Newcastle don't exist and are "nonsense"

"well-connected figures in the regional media on Tyneside had not heard his name linked with what is likely to become a vacancy."

He also reported a contact from Brighton saying there's “a multitude of speculation and nonsense that’s already out there now and that’s going to come out in the next few weeks and months”."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19638178.graham-potter-hard-take-brighton/

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The funny thing about Bruce is that he has a similar (slightly better a couple of weeks ago) record to GP since GP joined Brighton :shrug:

That's not the kind of thing you can express on here I'm afraid.

I would argue that ours is a much easier club to manage, better set up off the field and with a better squad (and squad depth) than Bruce has had with Newcastle. At the end of last season, Bruce had outperformed Potter in terms of points on the board and league placing.

Someone posted on here the other day that since Watford fired Sean Dyche and Burnley hired him, Watford have gone through 13 managers. Multiple relegations and promotions. But now both sides are in the PL and are competing at the same end of the division. Burnley have had great stability but have they performed better than Watford? Which would you have rathered, the excitement of promotions and the misery of relegations, or Burnley's fairly consistent tedium in the last 5 years?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Burnley's fairly consistent tedium in the last 5 years?

Didn't they qualify for the Europa League in the last 5 years (and get knocked out almost immediately)?

What I wouldn't give for the heady romance of an awayday in Aberdeen or wherever it was they went for the first game. I wouldn't get tickets, obviously, but that's another matter.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's not the kind of thing you can express on here I'm afraid.

I would argue that ours is a much easier club to manage, better set up off the field and with a better squad (and squad depth) than Bruce has had with Newcastle. At the end of last season, Bruce had outperformed Potter in terms of points on the board and league placing.

Someone posted on here the other day that since Watford fired Sean Dyche and Burnley hired him, Watford have gone through 13 managers. Multiple relegations and promotions. But now both sides are in the PL and are competing at the same end of the division. Burnley have had great stability but have they performed better than Watford? Which would you have rathered, the excitement of promotions and the misery of relegations, or Burnley's fairly consistent tedium in the last 5 years?

Steve Bruce makes you think Newcastle had a poor squad, they didn't. They have a bigger budget than us, despite the previous owners reluctance to spend as much as he could have, and Steve Bruce has not just not won a game against Potters Brighton, he hasn't scored a goal, home or away. Aggregate 6-0 in four games.

I would rather have Potter than, Bruce, Dyche, or any but maybe one of Watfords procession of recent managers.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Didn't they qualify for the Europa League in the last 5 years (and get knocked out almost immediately)?

What I wouldn't give for the heady romance of an awayday in Aberdeen or wherever it was they went for the first game. I wouldn't get tickets, obviously, but that's another matter.

They did. Their 7th place finish in the 17-18 season saw them qualify for the Europa League second qualifying round. Their season started on July 28th with a trip to Aberdeen, they beat them and Istanbul Basaksehir before losing in the play off round to Olympiacos. Their league form that season suffered though winning only 2 of their first 15 games. I'm not sure qualifying for the minor European competitions is worth the ridiculously early start to the season. As much fun as a Thursday night in Greece might be.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Which would you have rathered, the excitement of promotions and the misery of relegations, or Burnley's fairly consistent tedium in the last 5 years?

Oh yeah I can imagine the Watford fans thinking "this misery is so much better than the tedious staying up thing" at the end of the season.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
They did. Their 7th place finish in the 17-18 season saw them qualify for the Europa League second qualifying round. Their season started on July 28th with a trip to Aberdeen, they beat them and Istanbul Basaksehir before losing in the play off round to Olympiacos. Their league form that season suffered though winning only 2 of their first 15 games. I'm not sure qualifying for the minor European competitions is worth the ridiculously early start to the season. As much fun as a Thursday night in Greece might be.

I suspect their league results was a reversion to the mean type drop off as much as a result of playing in Europe, although I'm sure it doesn't help.

Since they're still in the Premier League and didn't get relegated, I'd take the minor European adventure and the risk of worse results the next season over constantly coming 8th to 10th. Maybe not every year though, I'd have to save up the travel fund on alternate seasons (more realistically - BT subscription or whoever has the Europa League rights now :lolol:)

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I suspect their league results was a reversion to the mean type drop off as much as a result of playing in Europe, although I'm sure it doesn't help.

Since they're still in the Premier League and didn't get relegated, I'd take the minor European adventure and the risk of worse results the next season over constantly coming 8th to 10th. Maybe not every year though, I'd have to save up the travel fund on alternate seasons (more realistically - BT subscription or whoever has the Europa League rights now :lolol:)

Fulham's 2009-10 European adventure started in late July in the Faroe Islands and culminated the following May to an unlucky loss to Athletico Madrid (with a certain Aguerro on the wing and de Gea in goal) in Hamburg. We did it without a massive squad (Bobby Z started most games though was crocked by the Final) and without our Premiership form dipping that much. It gave us fans the chance to visit some big clubs and nice cities across Europe and some magic nights under the lights at the Cottage. For supporters of a club like Fulham - and the Albion - the Europa League offers the chance of an incredible, once in a lifetime, adventure. The galling thing about the Europa League is that the rejects from the Champions League group stages get parachuted in.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Fulham's 2009-10 European adventure started in late July in the Faroe Islands and culminated the following May to an unlucky loss to Athletico Madrid (with a certain Aguerro on the wing and de Gea in goal) in Hamburg. We did it without a massive squad (Bobby Z started most games though was crocked by the Final) and without our Premiership form dipping that much. It gave us fans the chance to visit some big clubs and nice cities across Europe and some magic nights under the lights at the Cottage. For supporters of a club like Fulham - and the Albion - the Europa League offers the chance of an incredible, once in a lifetime, adventure. The galling thing about the Europa League is that the rejects from the Champions League group stages get parachuted in.

I admire your commitment to this conversation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More praise, in the Telegraph this evening:

A0EB690B-EBBF-4790-B1CC-CF5B8C3C857F.png

1369F420-2055-474D-9C2D-368D6B8D820A.png

3B8B5707-B681-4EA5-B418-EBBCED7630FC.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here