Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Was that not the time when for some reason CH changed his formation that had gained us 26 points in the time up to December, strange that then it was about the same time Ashworth started and we then only gained another 9 points

Was that also not the time we had a lack of available wingers?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
But is that not the professional thing to do? He is currently employed by Swansea and was conducting a scouting mission that had been arranged and paid for long before this speculation came out. As long as he's in receipt of a pay cheque from Swansea he is contractually bound to fulfil his duties. For what it's worth, his head of recruitment will be coming with him if he does decide to join us.

Right - so they both went across to Lancing [emoji106]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No I will still post. Chris had some good years here and for the most part he is very well thought of still at Brighton amongst the fans
I'd imagine he's also still very well thought of by the management at BHA. He had 2 great seasons with us in the Championship, and then kept us in the Premier League twice, all while being a classy ambassador for the club. Ultimately it seems as though Bloom has decided he wants a different style of football here, but that takes nothing away from Chris or his legacy here.

I'm wondering if Tony has pulled a master stroke in negotiations?

I used to run seminars on negotiating and one of the main points we would get over was try to get the other side to put their cards on the table first.

Whether by design or luck Swansea have done just that. Potter now knows exactly what Swansea will offer.

We'll have a pretty good idea what that is, he may even tell us outright, but at least we'll have a chance to beat whatever it is they are offering.

Canny customer, that Tony Bloom

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008

I used to run seminars on negotiating and one of the main points we would get over was try to get the other side to put their cards on the table first.

Whether by design or luck Swansea have done just that. Potter now knows exactly what Swansea will offer.

We'll have a pretty good idea what that is, he may even tell us outright, but at least we'll have a chance to beat whatever it is they are offering.

This is Tony Bloom we're talking about here - it'll definitely be by design

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But is that not the professional thing to do? He is currently employed by Swansea and was conducting a scouting mission that had been arranged and paid for long before this speculation came out. As long as he's in receipt of a pay cheque from Swansea he is contractually bound to fulfil his duties. For what it's worth, his head of recruitment will be coming with him if he does decide to join us.

Oh, agreed on this, but hopefully they weren't on a scouting mission for us that night.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That's impossible now that's he's assured me I can take the piss without having to read his replies.

it's friday trig, i'm in bits here.

i can't laugh and drink beer at the same time, you're making a simple thing for me very difficult

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I am just saying results went down hill when Ashworth was supposed to be helping CH keep his job

I’m not sure what Ashworth was doing when he first started ... bearing in mind first team coaching and managing was not in Ashworths remit I’m at a loss as to what he could have done.

Also what he could have done to make us play like strangers for the last 3 months of the season.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Swansea have no Money so Potter cannot invest.
They are still hand tied with the expensive contracts hand out to Ayew, Bony (expired) Caroll & Montero.
They have to sell to get wages off the books.
The new deal from Swansea provides security in length but won’t give him anything to spend.
It does move the process on as Swansea will know Potters wish if he does not sign it.
Then it’s Swansea getting as much compensation as possible.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Eh? We can beat him on all sorts of fronts, such as: more pay, more money going into the squad, a higher level, the famed training facilities, and so on. The issue I take it that Potter's weighing up is: is this the right move for me now?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd imagine he's also still very well thought of by the management at BHA. He had 2 great seasons with us in the Championship, and then kept us in the Premier League twice, all while being a classy ambassador for the club. Ultimately it seems as though Bloom has decided he wants a different style of football here, but that takes nothing away from Chris or his legacy here.

Well said.

Great manager, great person.

Remains a daft decision IMO.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh? We can beat him on all sorts of fronts, such as: more pay, more money going into the squad, a higher level, the famed training facilities, and so on. The issue I take it that Potter's weighing up is: is this the right move for me now?

I'm not saying getting Swansea to put their cards on the table first will necessarily work.

I'm saying it's an excellent negotiating technique

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not saying getting Swansea to put their cards on the table first will necessarily work.

I'm saying it's an excellent negotiating technique

I suspect that the one that's displaying excellent negotiating technique is Potter, because he seems fully aware that two clubs (with their own attractive features) are after him. If I'm right in this suspicion, it endears me all the more to him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was a decision. It may end up being a great one, it may indeed end up being a daft one - but unless it was made we'd never have known.

The only thing which is worrying me is that the names being touted around are ones I wouldn't have replaced CH with.... :(

Yes.

The whole thing is about taking the club forward, which of course makes sense, but I can’t see where the improvement is, given the managers concerned.

That said we could get Pep and it could still go pear- shaped......

Who knows? Glad it’s Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only thing which is worrying me is that the names being touted around are ones I wouldn't have replaced CH with.... :(
If I can offer you a crumb of comfort, it would be that Bloom & co will be looking far and wide, and they won't be telling us whom they are interested in.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
It was a decision. It may end up being a great one, it may indeed end up being a daft one - but unless it was made we'd never have known.

this is Bang On Knocky

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here