Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As others have mentioned already, I don't believe there's any miscalculation regarding whether a specific manager will join us. The calculation was simply whether Chris was the right man to take us forward, or not. They decided not. No idea whether or not that's a miscalculation, but it's independent of whom we eventually appoint.

Good managers will want the confidence of the board, and want a decent contract length. It's also good if the players expect the manager to be sticking around. The cost of paying them off, should it go wrong, is perhaps not that high compared to the overall playing budget.

We won't know if it is a miscalculation or not until we know who is actually appointed, and if it is any of the other names thrown into the hat other than Potter I cannot see a standout candidate.

This isn't about getting someone in who is a little bit better than Hughton, it's about getting someone in who is leaps and bounds better in all areas.

Anyone other than Potter is going for second best.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
This saga reminds me of when we were after Jim Gannon. I wonder if history repeats itself for both Swansea and Potter?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
For what it's worth, his head of recruitment will be coming with him if he does decide to join us.

Does that mean our current head of recruitment Paul Winstanley and the new bloke, Dan Ashworth, will be on their way then? Makes sense, they’ve been dogshit this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This saga reminds me of when we were after Jim Gannon. I wonder if history repeats itself for both Swansea and Potter?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can a 'saga' be just 5 days in length?

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Does that mean our current head of recruitment Paul Winstanley and the new bloke, Dan Ashworth, will be on their way then? Makes sense, they’ve been dogshit this season.

No, I think it simply means that there would be a place for him in the existing structure. This from Brian Owen earlier today: "Macaulay has followed Potter to Swansea and it would appear could be part of a move to the Amex, should it happen."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...d-the-footballing-tide-in-more-ways-than-one/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Benitez let his contract run out.
Yeah I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen that way. Pulis's contract at 'brough has run out too. With Benitez I assume he didn't want to sign for longer without a better budget, and with Pulis I assume he wasn't offered longer. But it's more common for managers to have longer left on their contract.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite. I remember Ashley Barnes' last game for us. He was on his way to Burnley and could have opted out of playing (Bridcutt, remember, wasn't in the right frame of mind to play). Instead, he rampaged round the field like a bull, didn't pull out of any tackles and set up our goal.

Professionals give their all for their employers until they actually leave

Then, as someone predicted, Ashley went on to be a League One plodder.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This isn't about getting someone in who is a little bit better than Hughton, it's about getting someone in who is leaps and bounds better in all areas.
I don't think they have to be better in every area. Potter is unlikely to be better than Hughton in all areas, let alone leaps and bounds better. He is, however, different, and that appears to be what Bloom wants.

Anyone other than Potter is going for second best.
Oh come on. There are dozens of world class managers across the planet. You don't seriously think that the only decent one we can get is Potter?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports