Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's fairly clear that Tony Bloom doesn't see the recruitment team as the problem otherwise they would of been sacked instead of Chris Hughton and his assistants... Tony believes the players weren't coached as well as they could of been the tactics were wrong and they didn't get the best out of a lot of the players

Could well be both. They could be going as and when Potter brings his team in. Also, whilst Bloom has shown he is willing to swing the axe at recruitment (Burke), presumably a lot of that team are on more real-world salaries than a manager, and perhaps need to be treated a little more like traditional employees with mortgages etc to pay - behind the scenes people's roles and responsibilities could well be shifting.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes, indeed. I'm a bit hacked off with the vilification of the recruitment team as well.

Unfortunately, pushing back against this involves having a further dig at Hughton - which now he has gone, also seems a little ungrateful.

My view on Hughton - great manager for the albion, on a downward spiral sadly, time to go now rather than taint his legacy with an ( in my view ) inevitable relegation. Go out on top as a man who left us in a better place than when he arrived.

Best for everyone when the new man is officially in and we can stop slagging off the recruitment team, and also muddying Hughton's legacy.

Excellent post.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Here's an extract from a Guardian story which looked back at the reaction to Wenger's appointment as Arsenal manager in 1996:

" Nick Hornby says: "I remember when Bruce Rioch was sacked, one of the papers had three or four names. It was Terry Venables, Johan Cruyff and then, at the end, Arsne Wenger. I remember thinking as a fan, I bet it's **** Arsne Wenger, because I haven't heard of him and I've heard of the other two. Trust Arsenal to appoint the boring one that you haven't heard of."

"The bookies wanted Cruyff, but the Arsenal board went for Wenger. Club captain Tony Adams was unimpressed: "At first, I thought, what does this Frenchman know about football? He wears glasses and looks more like a schoolteacher. He's not going to be as good as George Graham. Does he even speak English properly?"

"Adams was not alone in his scepticism. On Wenger's first day at training, a meeting was called and the new manager was presented to the players. He had won cups and leagues in France and Japan, and expected to be greeted by players who were familiar with his work and respectful of his success. But, as Lee Dixon recalls, it didn't quite pan out like that: "The players filed in and in front of us stood this tall, slightly built man who gave no impression whatsoever of being a football manager."

"Wenger was very much a football manager and his language skills were not going to be a problem. Sir Alex Ferguson once derided the link between Wenger's linguistic abilities and his mental acuity: "They say he's an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages. I've got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages."

Potter is English, not French, and, as far as I know, does not speak five languages. Nor does he look like a teacher. Otherwise..........f
ast forward a few years and it is possible that Potter will be acclaimed as a world class manager.u

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Can we call him GP yet, or does he have to be singed first?
I hope not. Whenever I see 'GP' the 'ees comlicated' earworm wakes up.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, indeed. I'm a bit hacked off with the vilification of the recruitment team as well.

Unfortunately, pushing back against this involves having a further dig at Hughton - which now he has gone, also seems a little ungrateful.

My view on Hughton - great manager for the albion, on a downward spiral sadly, time to go now rather than taint his legacy with an ( in my view ) inevitable relegation. Go out on top as a man who left us in a better place than when he arrived.

Best for everyone when the new man is officially in and we can stop slagging off the recruitment team, and also muddying Hughton's legacy.

Absolutely this. If CH is ever back at the Amex, I’ll be one of the first to stand up and applaud, but it was right to change.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We didn’t have a run like that without those signings in our first premier league season and we did not have one in the first half of the season with them either.

Granted our squad was always going to be one of the weaker in the division but 3 in 23 quality? Not for me.

I'm not saying it is absolute proof, or that it is even what I believe. But the argument that maintaining the same record at the start of next season without Hughton somehow shows that it was Hughton's fault seemed like a weird argument to me (and the argument people were saying they were happy with Hughton getting 3 wins in 23 was a misreading of Hughton's defenders/recruitment critics' positions). I get people being frustrated with the recruitment team taking a lot of flack, but there should be some logic to the defence of them (such as your argument - but it could be argued; the January window would be the big difference - who did we sign that offered Hughton more options for his first team? They either signed development players, or players we couldn't yet bring in due to visa issues. When other squads are improving, to do nothing is a backward step).

Last edited:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Phase1 successfully completed. Enough points gained in each of the first 2 seasons. CH is to be congratulated. Phase 2 about to begin with the aim of survival and more progressive tactics. Hope GP or whoever will be congratulated in 2 years time.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Why are we still talking about Hughton? Thanks Chris for everyone but we move on. The King is dead long live the king!

What Im more interested is what is GP (the new one)'s preferred formation / types of players and have we go them?

We have a lot of supposedly really good out and out wingers and goalkeepers,reasonably good full backs but perhaps not wing backs..... not enough defenders, not enough forwards and perhaps not enough good enough midfielders who can carry a bit of bite in midfield and be creative (Gross is one not the other, most are the other)... and of course we are in real trouble up front. No striker.... no survival and Glen is done.It's unfair to expect another season from him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's an extract from a Guardian story which looked back at the reaction to Wenger's appointment as Arsenal manager in 1996:

" Nick Hornby says: "I remember when Bruce Rioch was sacked, one of the papers had three or four names. It was Terry Venables, Johan Cruyff and then, at the end, Arsne Wenger. I remember thinking as a fan, I bet it's **** Arsne Wenger, because I haven't heard of him and I've heard of the other two. Trust Arsenal to appoint the boring one that you haven't heard of."

"The bookies wanted Cruyff, but the Arsenal board went for Wenger. Club captain Tony Adams was unimpressed: "At first, I thought, what does this Frenchman know about football? He wears glasses and looks more like a schoolteacher. He's not going to be as good as George Graham. Does he even speak English properly?"

"Adams was not alone in his scepticism. On Wenger's first day at training, a meeting was called and the new manager was presented to the players. He had won cups and leagues in France and Japan, and expected to be greeted by players who were familiar with his work and respectful of his success. But, as Lee Dixon recalls, it didn't quite pan out like that: "The players filed in and in front of us stood this tall, slightly built man who gave no impression whatsoever of being a football manager."

"Wenger was very much a football manager and his language skills were not going to be a problem. Sir Alex Ferguson once derided the link between Wenger's linguistic abilities and his mental acuity: "They say he's an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages. I've got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages."

Potter is English, not French, and, as far as I know, does not speak five languages. Nor does he look like a teacher. Otherwise..........f
ast forward a few years and it is possible that Potter will be acclaimed as a world class manager.u

Brilliant post :bowdown:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It's the sort of managerial appointment we would applaud if another club in our position did it as we all want to see young English coaches do well. As for the recruitment side I did see he was bringing his head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay with him but I imagine Dan Ashworth will sort that side out over the Summer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tbf; Hughton gave James Tilley 15 seconds in the playoffs.

I think you mean 15 seconds in a dead rubber at Middlesbrough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here