Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Does “a bit more pragmatic” mean “more like Hughton”?

Closer, but nowhere near Chris’s ridiculously OTT focus on defending over everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Closer, but nowhere near Chris’s ridiculously OTT focus on defending over everything else.

Mm I was thinking in terms of being more attack minded but not 'gung ho' ...

Yeah, my comment was tongue in cheek.

It will be interesting to see how much more defence focussed Potter will (or can) be than in his previous jobs.

It’s one thing getting beat 6-0 in a cup final, quite another getting beat 6-0 every other game in the league. I know the points gained is the same as getting beat 1-0; but the morale impact on the players isn’t close to being the same.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

It will be interesting to see how much more defence focussed Potter will (or can) be than in his previous jobs.

It’s one thing getting beat 6-0 in a cup final, quite another getting beat 6-0 every other game in the league. I know the points gained is the same as getting beat 1-0; but the morale impact on the players isn’t close to being the same.

It is fair to say that Potter will have to be more pragmatic or we will concede too many. However, he is obviously an intelligent guy who will have far better players than at Swansea if he joins, so expect he is more than capable of getting the attack/defend balance right, and certainly do better than Chris on this point, who turned into a “defend at all costs” whore at the end of his tenure.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I thought it might have been :)

Its an intriguing appointment anyway, and certainly a bolder step than jumping on the manager carousel . I'm quite excited to see how the summer and start of the season play out

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dale Stephens’ first ever forward pass will be a milestone moment.

I find it interesting the players even picked up on this NSC / twitter nonsense and use it as banter :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looks like Potter is a TRACKSUIT & TRAINERS manager ???

How do we all feel about this? I have grown accustomed to Hughton's impecable touchline tailoring, accessorised with a sober lambswool pullover or buttoned gillet. This may take some getting used to.

Looks like the 2 old men in the background are watching him for tips on how to be a young and dynamic coach...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought he did GREAT. If you remember he only had half a squad?

Edit: plus the keeper was heavily into his Mrs, (Allegedly)
I for one can't imagine how he kept his head on the job.

:shrug: Like i said i’m Not anti Garcia...but my abiding memory apart from the Forest match is of people around me groaning because it was just being passed sideways ..i just wouldn’t call it great ..i think he did a very good job

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
:shrug: Like i said i’m Not anti Garcia...but my abiding memory apart from the Forest match is of people around me groaning because it was just being passed sideways ..i just wouldn’t call it great ..i think he did a very good job

Precisely what I felt and experienced.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's funny how managers can be remembered for 1 particular game, and that forever defines them to the individual :

For me -

Poyet - St Patrick's Day massacre.
Garcia - Forest away.
Hyypia - Millwall home.
Hughton - ( I missed Wigan, so... ) Man Utd home with Groß's hawkeye winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here