Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which means he won't be our next manager.... timing all wrong for him and us... so everyone can relax..!
But as Bozza has said, our squad are away until 1st July anyway, so he'd only be missing for 7 days. Not that I think we're interested in him anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The thing about Swansea that will maybe turn him against them is that they allegedly made a number of promises when he signed with them that they then promptly reneged on so he may not entirely trust them.
That would be the nail in the coffin I'd imagine. Where have you got this from?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Article in Independent today (Apologies post on wrong thread earlier)
“Potter, who was coincidentally on the south coast on Thursday night watching the Sky Bet League One play-off between Portsmouth and Sunderland, is expected to make his decision over the weekend.”

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southampton sacked Mark Hughes on 03 December, compensation was agreed with Leipzig and Hasenhüttl appointed by 05 December and in charge of the team for their game v Cardiff on 08 December. Just saying.
Have we got a game in 3 days?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But as Bozza has said, our squad are away until 1st July anyway, so he'd only be missing for 7 days. Not that I think we're interested in him anyway.
Well, if you believe the argus (!), we want someone in to be involved in recruitment, and we are happy with a short delay now, but not a long delay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Article in Independent today (Apologies post on wrong thread earlier)
“Potter, who was coincidentally on the south coast on Thursday night watching the Sky Bet League One play-off between Portsmouth and Sunderland, is expected to make his decision over the weekend.”
Bullsh*t.

Swansea haven't given us permission to speak to him yet. So we haven't interviewed him, let alone offered him the job. So what ****ing decision is he supposed to be making? (the rage and anger aimed at the Independent, not you)

That's not to say he can't sign over the weekend, they could have agreed to meet last night, with an interview today, but I'm pretty sure we hadn't got to the stage where he had a take-the-job or not decision when that went to print.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, if you believe the argus (!), we want someone in to be involved in recruitment, and we are happy with a short delay now, but not a long delay.
I don't believe the Argus. However, I'd think it fairly obvious they are right, that we would want to the new manager to be involved, so starting on the 7th wouldn't be ideal. However, if we were appointing Phil, would it not be possible for him to spare a few hours here and there to comment on potential transfer targets?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't believe the Argus. However, I'd think it fairly obvious they are right, that we would want to the new manager to be involved, so starting on the 7th wouldn't be ideal. However, if we were appointing Phil, would it not be possible for him to spare a few hours here and there to comment on potential transfer targets?

The thing is - we can't mess about, this summer transfer window is vital so settling for anything too far from ideal would be quite a strategic failure. We need someone who's 100% focused on albion from day 1 - not just sparing a few hours as and when.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The thing is - we can't mess about, this summer transfer window is vital so settling for anything too far from ideal would be quite a strategic failure. We need someone who's 100% focused on albion from day 1 - not just sparing a few hours as and when.
Yep, not ideal. I wouldn't expect us to be after him anyway, I don't know why the price on him is short. Well, I guess someone stuck 50 quid on him, and that's that.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

If Potter comes in and with his style of footy then we’re gonna need an overhaul of our current squad so he’ll want to get the right sort of players in - we can’t delay too long

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
That would be the nail in the coffin I'd imagine. Where have you got this from?

I read on their fans forum that Swansea tried selling two of their players without letting Potter know at the end of January.

I also heard or read (can't remember which) that the move from Sweden to Swansea was a big move for his family and he promised it wouldn't be a common thing for them. I think that if he has been promised that his squad won't be taken apart and he can have money to build then if he believes them then he will stay.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Bullsh*t.

Swansea haven't given us permission to speak to him yet. So we haven't interviewed him, let alone offered him the job. So what ****ing decision is he supposed to be making? (the rage and anger aimed at the Independent, not you)

That's not to say he can't sign over the weekend, they could have agreed to meet last night, with an interview today, but I'm pretty sure we hadn't got to the stage where he had a take-the-job or not decision when that went to print.

Telegraph said earlier in the week he was to be interviewed that day.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep, not ideal. I wouldn't expect us to be after him anyway, I don't know why the price on him is short. Well, I guess someone stuck 50 quid on him, and that's that.
Indeed. And personally I am not anti-Neville per se - just anti-Neville-who-starts-on-July7th.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Swansea have just published the release/retained list. They've released some big names, and many of their fans are in 'Twitter meltdown'. I should imagine that this lay at the heart of much of the negotiations the Swansea have been having with Potter over the last couple of days, although it's impossible to know what assurances they have made Potter about the funds available to him to help him rebuild their squad.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Even by your usual standard of gibberish that's impressively bonkers.

'So far south ,you're almost French' is a chant at away games.Poitier is a French version of Potter,so possibly a bit too subtle.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Still hoping we have another candidate kept under wraps.

Seems like Potter is only the most popular amongst fans due to the utter morbidity of others mentioned.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9098824/brighton-wilder-potter-replace-hughton-boss/

Not much new info. "Wilder not on 3 man shortlist" and the moment Chris was told of his firing "The 60-year-old was called into the training ground for what he thought was a meeting to discuss summer recruitment.

He was shocked and furious to discover he was being fired having kept the club up for a second successive season and reached the FA Cup semi-finals".

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't believe the Argus. However, I'd think it fairly obvious they are right, that we would want to the new manager to be involved.

You don't believe the Argus but do believe what they've reported (almost certainly based on conversations with Barber) that "They are prepared to wait up to a point but want their man in place to have input into what could be a busy transfer window." ??
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/17642690.albion-play-waiting-game-on-potter-talks/

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Did Leipzig try and keep him, or turn down Southamptons first approach?

Hassenhüttl had long gone from Leipzig before he joined Southampton. He walked at the end of the 18/19 season, requesting the final year of his contract be cancelled. Any final 'settlement' would surely have been sorted soon after, but who knows what clauses were in any termination agreement. Still doubtful Leipzig would have been due payment from Southampton if he'd severed all ties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here