Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It's so many factors, not just a decent stadium (Swansea have one of those), the personal upheaval for him, the potential rebuilding of our squad, many unknowns. With blue and white specs on, yes it's a massive step up, but to the larger footballing world we're still little old Brighton.

But the Swansea owners have tied both of his hands behind his back by selling so many players, and many more are due to go this summer.

We are small, but we are held up as the model of a well run club.

Even if Swansea do turn things around and get promoted, will they ever be more than we are right now?

Brighton have the potential to push on, so if we are given permission to talk to him, Im sure Tony will have no problem selling his vision for the future and convince him to join us.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Not sure if it's a release clause or just a figure Swansea have come up with as compensation for releasing him from his contract.

It seems that the sticking point now is that we are not prepared to pay the £2m, therefore Swansea haven't permitted talks to start.
What does it say if B&HA aren't prepared to pay £2,000,000 to bring Potter to The AMEX? Clubs will splash out ten or fifteen million on a player and if it doesn't work shrug their shoulders. Graham Potter could be the most important appointment in the club's history so a million or so seems trivial.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What does it say if B&HA aren't prepared to pay £2,000,000 to bring Potter to The AMEX? Clubs will splash out ten or fifteen million on a player and if it doesn't work shrug their shoulders. Graham Potter could be the most important appointment in the club's history so a million or so seems trivial.

Probably because it doesn’t say that . Anywhere. There’s no reporting whatsoever that says this is a problem.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I don't know much but I do know one thing. I've never spent so much time on Wales Online.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
You have to look it from Potters point of view and Brighton's point of view. Brighton have to do things above board or they could be heavily fined for it.

If Potter simply jumps ship and fails at Brighton - Who realistically might employ him in the future. Some clubs would but others would see him as disloyal and never employ him, so he would limit himself in the future. He has to do it the correct way as well.

I think things are most likely being done in the right manner. Five days isn't exactly a long time for this process and the fact that it is '' close season'' there isn't a major rush. He will still have family holidays to go on anyhow during the summer.

Yes this, I'm glad that Potter hasn't kicked off at Swansea to let him come here, to me it's showing that he is a loyal person and wants to give Swansea the benefit of coming up with assurances about the season to come.
Remember they completely lied to him when he went there so I'm sure he is asking for concrete assurances, possibly written down so they can't go back on their word about budget and selling players. IF he does end up here and does wonders so clubs higher up the chain come calling, I'd like to think he'd give us the same levels of loyalty.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im sure we are fully prepared to pay 2m if we want but no harm in a little haggle is there ?

Potter will want the job. I have no doubt about it.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
My guess is that Albion must have already had informal contact with Potter before announcing CH's sacking.

This delay is either Potter making up his mind before telling Swansea he wants to leave (or not), or is a negotiating tactic on the part of Swansea to increase the level of compensation.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Admittedly i'm ignorant to the process, but i don't understand why we are waiting for Swansea. If he has a £2m release clause in his contract, as reported, then surely we don't need permission from them if we are prepared to pay that.

I really don't think that the compensation to Swansea is the stumbling block here. We'll be willing to pay the compensation, providing we want Potter enough.

However, football is all about relationships and the club will want to do things the right way to maintain our relationship with both Swansea City and Potter's agent. We'll need both in the future, particularly if we want to conduct transfers between the two clubs and keep Potter happy. Brian Owen was on record yesterday as suggesting our relationship with both parties is a strong one, and we won't want to jeopardise that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Brighton aren't prepared to pay £2m yet.

Registering an interest and seeing how things develop, as opposed to revealing you are prepared to pay whatever is the asking price.
How do you think one of the best poker players in the world might go about this?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
My guess is that Albion must have already had informal contact with Potter before announcing CH's sacking.

This delay is either Potter making up his mind before telling Swansea he wants to leave (or not), or is a negotiating tactic on the part of Swansea to increase the level of compensation.
With the first sentence. Never believe agents. Blood suckers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here