Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
£3M quoted earlier for the whole coaching staff

If TB is quibbling over £2-3M then he obviously is not that confident in the man he is chasing.

You clearly know nothing of the Jewish mentality (and that is in no way intended as a knock btw)

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

If TB is quibbling over £2-3M then he obviously is not that confident in the man he is chasing.

Its always like this....never pay over the odds....Never sell too cheap etc....

If we want him we pay up....
if he wants to come we pay going rate..

For once being in the PL we have the position/wealth and status to be an attractive proposition ....big difference to years gone by when all our best managers walked..

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

There’s a difference between quibbling and negotiating. why waste money?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not sure it was a complete failure, maybe we just didn’t give it time for everyone to take on board and adjust to the the new tactics. The first halves against West Ham and Fulham were thrilling but in the the comebacks from both teams, just about everything they hit went in the back of the net. I doubt it would have carried on like that. I really wish CH had persevered and believed as I think he’d still be in a job and we’d be looking at a season that was an improvement on the last one. The inbuilt fear of losing took over again and the end result was just as bad as if we’d carried playing that way imo. I believe we’d have picked up points along the way although we may have had some heavy defeats as well. Who knows but he’d definitely have kept my support, which went after the Bournemouth game.

Think that’s a very fair and considered account of the way things panned out - well put!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Exactly. TB has already said that it was the inability to win any of the last nine games that did for Chris. I don't doubt that it was more than that, but it will have had nothing to do with anything said or written by fans.

As if the owner of a multi million pound business would make the most key decision about it based on what some "customers" wrote on a forum. No chance.

I tried to get EAT to bring back the BLT to their core menu, deaf ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Who says he is quibbling? These negotiations take time. Its only been 24 hrs. Jeez....

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Graham Potter

Just googled Östersunds FK. Finances

First link is to an investigation into the Chairman there for alleged financial irregularities.
I’m not sure who the investigative reporter is, could be fake news.

I was just interested into what sort of investment helped (or hindered) Graham Potter in the meteoric rise of that football club.

Apologies if it’s been posted before

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I use another forum which is for fans of all teams, and this is what a Swansea fan had to say about Potter when he was brought up.

“On the face of it we were a relegated Premier League side, and should have had it in us to make a stronger push to get back to the Premier League but whilst Stoke and West Brom backed their managers, our owners did the complete opposite.

£5 million or so spent, all on youngsters, whilst we brought in £40 million, let another three first teamers go for free and loaned out a further £66 million of Premier League signings that went on loan. Our squad got absolutely decimated:
- All of our strikers from last year were sold or let go (Abraham, Baston, A. Ayew, J. Ayew, Bony), with nobody signed.
- Four of our five centre halves from last year were sold (Fernandez, Mawson, Bartley, Amat), again with nobody signed initially, and then a youngster being brought in loan eventually.
- We lost six deeper central midfielders from last season (Clucas, Carroll, Sanches, King, Ki, Britton), again with nobody signed.

To get a team together this season, Potter's had to promote players to the first team that we weren't expecting anything from. Dan James has been a revelation, having not being able to get a game at Shrewsbury last season. Matt Grimes has been our player of the season, having been relegated from League 1 last season with Northampton. Jay Fulton couldn't get a look in Wigan's team last season. Celina came in having not had rave reviews at Ipswich. Baker-Richardson became a first teamer despite being signed from Leamington Spa. McBurnie was on loan at Barnsley last season and his come in to prove himself as a player now linked with Premier League sides. George Byers, Joe Rodon, Cian Harries, Yan Dhanda and Connor Roberts all also became first teamers, all of which earning really low wages for this level as the club tries to scrape pennies.

It's that scraping of pennies that will mean Dan James will have to go, with only one year left on his contract, as rather than pay him a true Championship wage when beginning to play in the first team, we decided to gamble to penny pinch and I reckon it'll end up costing us £10 million. The same risks were taken with Joe Rodon and Connor Roberts, but both signed contracts due to us being their boyhood clubs.

The point being - the club is being run like an absolute shambles. We've been backed significantly less than Sunderland were when they got there second relegation, and if we had been relegated this season then the board could have had no complaints. Under a different manager, we would have been but Potter has managed to do brillantly, bedding in the vast majority of his squad in to a real team in most of their first seasons at this level. We've played brilliant football for a lot of the season, with the youngest team in the football league, and might have probably been looking at the play-offs if we had a goalkeeper who was capable of catching a football.

This has been a really enjoyable season for any fan I've spoken to, and Graham Potter is the best manager we've had since Michael Laudrup.

Has he done a better job this season than Farke and Wilder? No. But they're both managers who've had time to build a squad where as Potter's not had the opportunity to carry on from his work this season yet. If he was backed in the summer, and by backed I mean simply not selling our key assets, or spending the majority of the money we receive for players then I'd be backing us to do really well next season. If that doesn't look like it's going to be the case, I can hardly blame him for moving on. As it stands, it looks like we will continue to go backwards as large parts of our remainder of our Premier League squad are out of contract, and there won't be any real steps made to keep hold of them.

For those saying there's still Premier League players on our books, I reckon this is our strongest line up of players going in to next season, that he'll have to work with if he does stay, taking in to account the inevitable contract expirations. How many of those are recognised from our Premier League days?

Mulder
Roberts - Van der Hoorn (c) - Rodon - Grimes
Fulton - Byers
Dyer - Celina - James
McBurnie​

What I will say is that the Brighton job is going to be incredibly difficult for him, and I will agree with the point that developing the style of play that we've been playing this season is going to be very difficult to do at that level, and with a side that seem a long way off it.”

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry if this was posted earlier,

Alan Nixon
@reluctantnicko·
4h
SWANSEA. Potter and backroom staff all primed for BRIGHTON move. Compo for lot over 3m. So that’s something ...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This is the lizard we are talking about.
He knows exactly what he's doing in this situation.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hang on, wasn't the caretaker at Fenn Street School in Please Sir called Potter.
If that's the case, I'm in, I loved that show, let's hope he's not just a flash in the pan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here