Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
No he is not , he has done nothing to suggest he would make a decent PL manager

What?
In December 2010, Potter signed a three-year contract as coach of Östersund, who were then playing in the fourth tier of Swedish football. Potter was offered the job after Graeme Jones, his friend and assistant to Roberto Martínez at Swansea City, recommended him to chairman Daniel Kindberg after their pre-season friendly with Swansea.

In 2013, after two successive promotions, Potter extended his contract with the club for another three years. On 27 October 2015, Östersund secured promotion to the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, for the first time in their history following a second-place finish in the 2015 Superettan. Östersund finished their debut season in eighth place, winning plaudits for their "slick passing game" and competing on a limited budget.[15][16]

On 13 April 2017, Potter's Östersund team won the Svenska Cupen, beating Norrköping 4–1 in the final.This granted the team a place in the second qualifying round of the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League where they defeated Galatasaray 3–1 on aggregate. In the third round they defeated Fola Esch 3–1 on aggregate and in the play-offs they knocked out PAOK (3–3 on aggregate with more away goals), thus securing a historic entry into the Europa League group stage.They finished second in their group, level on points with Athletic Bilbao. Despite beating Arsenal 2–1 at the Emirates Stadium, they were eliminated from the competition after losing 4–2 on aggregate. Östersund finished their domestic league season in fifth place.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm completely sold. I read about him last year, how he gets the best out of each player in very different ways, and how he even got his swedish team to put on a play for the local community. He's a little crazy, I want him. Now please, thanks.

I'm starting to agree. I admittedly hadn't heard of him (my bad) but would much rather this than one of those managers who have knocked around the lower end of the leagues like Hughes or Sam...

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Potter would be an excellent appointment for B&HA. You'll be very fortunate if you get him. It's bad luck for Swansea City supporters that their American owners, having brought in Potter, immediately pulled the rug from under his feet by selling virtually anybody that was attractive to another club. I'm convinced that if they'd backed him as Stoke and WBA boards backed Rowett and Moore The Swans would have gone straight back up automatically.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was either sky or BBC who did a feature on him when he was still in Sweden and I thought then that's a great achievement, it passed me by completely that he was a Swansea from the start of last season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That's nonsense. The whole family are through and through Abion fans - and always have been. His grandfather died on the team coach on the way to Stoke. He's invested an incredible sum of money in the club and stadium. He turns up at many away games.

What's more with his background he knows how to play the percentages. I'd say that he's more of a football man than many, if not most on here. Compare that to the Amercians, Chinese and Russians who own most of the other Premier League clubs...

Yawn.
Look at some of the managerial appointments and recruitment decisions.
A football mastermagician he aint.

And now it's being suggested we'll appoint a manager who's had one year in England and never managed at this level?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Initially voted Potter but I've changed my mind now ???

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Compared to most owners at this level, TB is Mr Football.

Potter is a massive risk, but an interesting risk. Personally I thought there might be one or two higher calibre managers available to look at, but in their absence he might well be the best pick.

He seems to tick a lot of boxes that TB would want, primarily giving youth a chance and playing in a 'progressive' fashion.

Whoever we appoint, we need to nail our recruitment down, and hopefully a more attacking style rejuvenates a few of the 'duds' we've bought recently (looking at you AJ).

Maybe if we appoint Potter quickly, then we could convince James to come too instead of sitting on UTDs bench.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
And we would save money by using Gus Poyets old track suits and training tops.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whoever we appoint should be a risk as I don't think Pep or Jurgen Klopp are likely to apply. We can go for one of the usual suspects or a bright young thing who might just be the next special one or some such and be the man to push the project forward. To justify sacking Hughton they need to have a plan and be willing to put it into place. I presume that is exactly what they are doing and I would expect an appointment imminently and significant changes to the playing staff.

Yes we could pick the wrong guy and get relegated but we could've stuck with Chris and got the same. In order to get to the 'next level' we are going to have to change things and I applaud their courage in making the decision. Time will tell if its the right one of course...

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I must admit, i don't know much about Potter, so would be a little underwhelmed. However, from what i have seen of Swansea this season, our players would not suit that system. Could well be a lot of changes.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Potter, but also Lampard in the frame apparently (according to Talksport News)

"Monitoring his position at Derby" was the phrase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here