Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You remember what happened to Lewis Grabban don't you? Transfer fee accepted, wages agreed. We met him and he was an arse hat so we pulled out.

I was under the impression he turned us down not the other way around. We thought we had it in the bag but Bournemouth upped the offer and he decided to stay. Accept I could be wrong on this though.

I vaguely remember talk of Burke being the arse hat at the interview. Something to do with practising his singing ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've just checked and Hyypia resigned 22 December & Hughton was appointed 31st December, so it took 9 days. Hughton had already been interviewed the previous summer and was out of work.
Nine days for a straightforward appointment without any other club involved.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The manager will have an agent, and what you just said will make him scratch his head with the confusion of a cat with ten mice running towards it, all carrying little chunks of cat food... It's not the way it's done these days.

It could all be a very pretty and intricate dance involving Potter, BHAFC and the manager we really want.

Potter agrees to be the 'firm favourite' for the job. He has no intention of coming, but just wants a pay rise and a longer contract at Swansea so is happy to knowingly play along. The 'real' target is on the back foot as he thinks we're close to signing Potter, so his demands will be lower and/or he's forced to make a quicker decision. Everyone wins, apart from the manager we want, kind of.

There's a whole manner of bullshit we're not party to.

Who wants their new manager to feel they've been rushed into a decision and shafted on wages??

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was under the impression he turned us down not the other way around. We thought we had it in the bag but Bournemouth upped the offer and he decided to stay. Accept I could be wrong on this though.

I vaguely remember talk of Burke being the arse hat at the interview. Something to do with practising his singing ???

I agree with you. Money grabbing Grabban was the talk at the time. He was given a pay rise at Bournemouth.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We can't interview him until Swansea agree to the release clause price. I think we have made an offer and Swansea want us to up it.

Yes I know - my point to the OP is - why would we quit his job without either party meeting or having an interview.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not sure I want any manager who doesn’t jump at the chance of joining the Albion. This is starting to sound a little like that Bournemouth player who used us as a bargaining chip to get more money. Let him stay at Swansea if it’s a case of getting assurances that they won’t sell players or he’ll leave.

Leave him to his project

If Phil Neville is our second choice I may have reconsider what I just wrote though :smile:

I can see myself moving to “bring CH back” soon

We'll be glad to have you aboard.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The manager will have an agent, and what you just said will make him scratch his head with the confusion of a cat with ten mice running towards it, all carrying little chunks of cat food... It's not the way it's done these days.

It could all be a very pretty and intricate dance involving Potter, BHAFC and the manager we really want.

Potter agrees to be the 'firm favourite' for the job. He has no intention of coming, but just wants a pay rise and a longer contract at Swansea so is happy to knowingly play along. The 'real' target is on the back foot as he thinks we're close to signing Potter, so his demands will be lower and/or he's forced to make a quicker decision. Everyone wins, apart from the manager we want, kind of.

There's a whole manner of bullshit we're not party to.

Don’t believe that for a minute. You don’t try and con a sought after new hire into joining and being paid less than he is worth. That puts things off to a bad start straight away. Awful recruitment process.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
These few days are normally just formalities. Media and Press make some stuff up to fill in on what they don't know while Potter talks things over with wife and family and gets their approval

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Some of the speculation on this thread is amazing. People have absolutely no idea what is going on so start to invent stranger and stranger scenarios in their own head, and then get annoyed by said made up scenario. Completely bizarre.

Everyone needs to relax, the season has been over less than a week, all the players are away on holiday, there is no rush. We’ll get our man, if it’s not Potter it will be somebody else.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Some of the speculation on this thread is amazing. People have absolutely no idea what is going on so start to invent stranger and stranger scenarios in their own head, and then get annoyed by said made up scenario. Completely bizarre.

Everyone needs to relax, the season has been over less than a week, all the players are away on holiday, there is no rush. We’ll get our man, if it’s not Potter it will be somebody else.

Away with your sensibility!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
An update - in short - he's been talking to Swans today to see what they can offer him.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...swansea-city-brighton-potter-hughton-16287414

"Swansea City remain in talks with Graham Potter amid Brighton’s interest in making the Englishman their new manager.
The Seagulls made Potter their No. 1 target after making the bold call to sack Chris Hughton on Monday morning.
They have already had an approach to speak with Potter turned down by Swansea , although Brighton are expected to up their efforts to take the 43-year-old to the Amex Stadium. It is believed there has been no official follow-up approach from the Seagulls.
Swansea held lengthy talks with Potter on Wednesday, and it’s understood that discussions between the club and their manager remain ongoing.
It is understood that Potter - who during the course of the 2018/19 campaign has repeatedly stated that he views the job in SA1 as a long-term project - is seeking assurances over what the future holds at the club.
He has endured two difficult transfer windows at the Liberty Stadium to date, with no fewer than 19 players departing while only six have been recruited."
Sounds like his heart isn't really in joining us.

Best focus on another target.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Unfortunately Fat Frank got to Wembley delaying options

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
These few days are normally just formalities. Media and Press make some stuff up to fill in on what they don't know while Potter talks things over with wife and family and gets their approval

Have you any thoughts on Graham Potter?
Believe he's from your current part of the world and with your contacts, any friends of friends linked to him?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just checked and Hyypia resigned 22 December & Hughton was appointed 31st December, so it took 9 days. Hughton had already been interviewed the previous summer and was out of work.
Nine days for a straightforward appointment without any other club involved.

We've not even got to that point yet. Until we get permission from Swansea, we can't even hold the discussions about the fine detail.

Potter's biggest fear must be that we could take him and he could be gone by November leaving him out of work and a severely damaged reputation. It is probably as big a risk for him as it is for us. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he'll take it in all honesty.

Whether it is just the media, feels like it's been set up like he's our no.1 target, and if we fail to land him, everyone is going to be a 2nd choice. Not sure why we haven't refuted that we have a no.1 target at all, and that we're casting the net far and wide to identify the best candidates.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Exactly - I hadn’t logged on all day, read the last page and assumed he’d turned us down - you melts :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Have you any thoughts on Graham Potter?
Believe he's from your current part of the world and with your contacts, any friends of friends linked to him?
Don't really know much about him. Hasn't been massively high profile very long so haven't really ever crossed paths

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here