Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I have to admit to being nervous about the appointment of Graham Potter it's a huge step up and against opposition that can tear you apart. Not knowing anything about his style of play I have spent a while looking at videos of Swansea's performances last season and Indeed the team as a whole bomb forward and are encouraged to shoot for almost anywhere but equally their defensive line was all over the place and at our level teams will punish us for that.

I also watched some videos from his time in Sweden and his Chairman there was a young forward thinking type of guy not unlike our Tony who said and I quote "we always win even when we loose we win because we learn somthing from every experience" now I think he has not had the same Chairman manager relationship at Swansea while still getting a team of relatively unknown players to perform, I can see we have the set up here that might just suite his ethos, time will tell how the other premier league teams cope with his style of play.

Finally we have a great fan base but we like other clubs have many unrealistic twats who expectations far beyond reality who were calling for Houghtons head, please you got what you wanted let's all get behind Potter and the team and stop the barracking from the stands UTA

Has anyone actually thought that the reason we have gone for Potter is he is intelligent, progressive adaptable and calm? He won't just rock up and have us trying to tear Man City and Liverpool a new one. He will know this league is a MASSIVE challenge and step up for him and I think he will adapt appropriately.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agreed...definitely a big part of it I reckon. He showed absolutely no inclination at all to try any of them except in the odd cup game. With Ashworth and Potter running things we might finally start to see the Lancing investment start to bear fruit.

Yeah this!

I genuinely think the comment "More of the same next season" was the tipping point.
It points to a very different mindset between Hughton and Bloom.

It isn't just about the style of play, I think Tony would suffer that, if it was bringing results and moving the club forward.
But the manager being satisified with the first team standing still, whilst the Under 23's are progressing, would have been a red flag to Tony, IMO.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah this!

I genuinely think the comment "More of the same next season" was the tipping point.
It points to a very different mindset between Hughton and Bloom.

It isn't just about the style of play, I think Tony would suffer that, if it was bringing results and moving the club forward.
But the manager being satisified with the first team standing still, whilst the Under 23's are progressing, would have been a red flag to Tony, IMO.

With the speed in which we have sacked Hughton and pretty much identified Potter as our no.1 target without even seemingly interviewing anyone else would suggest to me this decision was discussed and made some time ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Has anyone actually thought that the reason we have gone for Potter is he is intelligent, progressive adaptable and calm? He won't just rock up and have us trying to tear Man City and Liverpool a new one. He will know this league is a MASSIVE challenge and step up for him and I think he will adapt appropriately.

Fingers crossed. Plenty of examples of managers who were on the progressive/intelligent scale and were left completely floundering. No need for examples as there are plenty. Huge amount of faith shown in Potter, let’s hope it’s backed up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was looking at post war. But, okay.
Ok, didn't realise that, as following your post war comment, you then commented on pre war, and then the major honours. Indeed, none post war, I just thought you were saying it wasn't a major honour, when it really was.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Top, top post.

Explains all the agonies of the last week.

The loyalty to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club fighting with the loyalty to Chris Hughton.

And in the end, over time, the Football Club will always emerge victorious, there is no choice.

History will judge whether losing loyalty to Hughton was misplaced.

But in the end, and after a very difficult week, I’m now looking forward to next season again.

Kosh’s post will probably need to be bounced when we have lost our first four games 3-5, 1-4, 0-6 and 3-4 and fans will be hankering back to the dull 0-0 draws 0-1 and 0-2 defeats and occasional 1-0 fluke wins.

Hey, at least it will be exciting!

Yeah it is a good post.
But the idea that the Hughton in crowd (me included) shouldn't score points if the results go against us at first...........
Dream on.

If we look like we might be relegated, I would expect the more vocal Hughton supporters to remind many on here that this was what they wanted.
The risk of what comes next was absolutely what I and other like-minded posters disagreed with.

In reality the risk is all Tony's.
He is prepared to risk all, once he has all the data he needs to back up his hunch.
He has the cojones to make these kind of calls, whilst we just try to score points on internet forums.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with you, but the PL will be new for him, and his system will be new for our players, and that first PL game is going to be a massive test for us.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I agree with you, but the PL will be new for him, and his system will be new for our players, and that first PL game is going to be a massive test for us.

I think what will be massive for us, is if the players buy into what Potter is trying to do. If we loose a few to begin with and the players go against him then this will be a big mistake. If they stick with him even though it isn't working straight away then we might have just taken another step forward.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So who in the current squad will be suited to Potterball?

Suited to Potterball?: Dunk, Bernado, Knockeart, Propper, Bissouma, Andone, March
Not sure: Montoya, Kayal, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Bong, Button, Burn
Could struggle? Ryan, Duffy, Gross, Stephens,
Taxi: Murray

I'm not sure that Murray would be jettisoned.
He is still an excellent finisher, when needed.
On the bench as Plan B surely?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah it is a good post.
But the idea that the Hughton in crowd (me included) shouldn't score points if the results go against us at first...........
Dream on.

If we look like we might be relegated, I would expect the more vocal Hughton supporters to remind many on here that this was what they wanted.
Indeed I imagine that's what would happen, but personally I don't think we'll know how things would have been under Chris until he is managing another team in the PL. Then we can see if he's able to succeed with a team playing attacking football in the top flight.

He is prepared to risk all, once he has all the data he needs to back up his hunch.
Agreed. We wouldn't have blamed the board for keeping him on and helping him build the team over the summer, it's what we'd have expected. I don't think we can blame the decision on the boo boys, but there would of course be some 'careful what you wish for posts'.

we just try to score points on internet forums.
Have you got a league table you can post?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah it is a good post.
Dream on.

The risk of what comes next was absolutely what I and other like-minded posters disagreed with.

He has the cojones to make these kind of calls, whilst we just try to score points on internet forums.

But then the Hughton supporters can remind themselves of 3 wins in 23.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Let's not try and rewrite history. That L1 relegation team had made the playoffs the previous season. Yes, he turned things around but it's not like he had nothing to work with.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

you aren't even going to let Chris have that!
You really hate him don't you.

The playoff team from the year before sneaked in with a last minute goal.
Garcia did wonders getting that far.
The team Hughton put together for the next 2 seasons eclipsed anything that had gone before.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But then the Hughton supporters can remind themselves of 3 wins in 23.

Not very convincing wins, either. As with a good few of those wins earlier in the season.

I love CH, but Bloom was clearly feeling exactly the same as those of us who felt that unfortunately a change was needed to take us further.

Whether it works out, we'll see, but its exciting...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From Wales online an hour ago. Apologies if fixtures:

"Graham Potter is set to depart the Liberty Stadium and become the manager of Brighton.

The Swansea City boss, who has been in post in SA1 for less than a year, has been holding talks with Seagulls bosses over personal terms.

The Premier League club have already agreed compensation with Swansea - believed to be in the region of £2million and to include Potter 's backroom team.

Swansea had rejected an approach from Brighton this week and had offered their manager a bumper new deal in a bid to ward off interest from Brighton, but reluctantly gave the green light for Potter to go after a meeting with the 43-year-old on Saturday.

While details of Potter's move will be finalised, attention will also now be turning to finding a replacement.

Stay with us for live updates."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think what will be massive for us, is if the players buy into what Potter is trying to do. If we loose a few to begin with and the players go against him then this will be a big mistake. If they stick with him even though it isn't working straight away then we might have just taken another step forward.
Let's get you in for a pep talk.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
With Ashworth already in place, and Potter incoming, there seems to be a clear strategy from Bloom. Alongside the training faculties and marvellous work being done at youth levels, we are going to prioritise youth and attempt to get ahead of the HGP curve. That’s where the money is going to be, either developing in house or buying in from the lower leagues young British players whom we can take a gamble on but bigger clubs can’t and turning over a healthy profit, hopefully staying in the PL in the meantime and having a system in place to quickly replace the players which move on.

If this was the long-term plan, I know it might sound crazy, but I wouldn’t be adverse to dropping down a level short term, if it helped in the long term sustainability wise. Hopefully Potter has enough tactical nous about him to achieve the former whilst staying in the PL. The problem with Hughton wasn’t the results, staying up was an achievement for sure, the negative football was a problem however, especially combined with the fact he refused to give youth a chance and always played the safe old guard with no outlook for the future. That’s why he went imo, and that’s why Potter is the replacement.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's funny how managers can be remembered for 1 particular game, and that forever defines them to the individual :

For me -

Poyet - St Patrick's Day massacre.
Garcia - Forest away.
Hyypia - Millwall home.
Hughton - ( I missed Wigan, so... ) Man Utd home with Groß's hawkeye winner.

The Hughton game for me is the 5-0 against Norwich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here