Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Son of Sami.

MV5BOTg2NDUwODI2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg1MjA2MDE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

https://youtu.be/afeAUndotas

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Looks like Potter is a TRACKSUIT & TRAINERS manager ???

How do we all feel about this? I have grown accustomed to Hughton's impecable touchline tailoring, accessorised with a sober lambswool pullover or buttoned gillet. This may take some getting used to.

He has a plan B though

swansea-city-v-blackburn-rovers-sky-bet-championship-5cda8732531e739be5000001.jpg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Agreed...definitely a big part of it I reckon. He showed absolutely no inclination at all to try any of them except in the odd cup game. With Ashworth and Potter running things we might finally start to see the Lancing investment start to bear fruit.

There’s an excellent passage somewhere on the Albion roar where this topic is discussed and apparently CH used to need to see a player train 30-40 times before he was certain he could trust them to perform in the required manner and therefore were worthy of a spot in his squad. What chance did the u23s have?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looks like Potter is a TRACKSUIT & TRAINERS manager ???

How do we all feel about this? I have grown accustomed to Hughton's impecable touchline tailoring, accessorised with a sober lambswool pullover or buttoned gillet. This may take some getting used to.
Don't panic, wearing a suit will be part of the contract.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. If players at this level cannot perform at peak physical endurance levels then they should be toast. I expect GP to be tough on this. We should expect to see some of our own long term payers up their game considerably. Someone mentioned complacency on another thread. We now have the best Chairman (genuine fan), best CEO, best technical director, and now perhaps the best fledgling first team head coach talent, so we have the lot, and we have some money to spend on recruitment that works, not like the last £80m that might as well have been spent over the bar in the Nelson. What a night that would have been.

I am very, very positive about what TB is constructing here. And I use the word constructing wisely.

No need to be tough, that does not work with modern players.

Instead just well coached and nurtured, but critically with some better first team players bought in. Our first team is not as talented throughout, as a few fans believe.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Agreed. If players at this level cannot perform at peak physical endurance levels then they should be toast. I expect GP to be tough on this.

I did wonder if perhaps a perk of bringing a new manger in would be that any sentiment between coach and players that CH might have felt would have been removed. Not at all suggesting anything unprofessional, but it's clear that CH had players he trusted implicitly, come rain or shine, and I wonder if having someone in who doesn't have those kind of bonds as yet will get one or two to step up, or we will see one or two big names shipped out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did wonder if perhaps a perk of bringing a new manger in would be that any sentiment between coach and players that CH might have felt would have been removed. Not at all suggesting anything unprofessional, but it's clear that CH had players he trusted implicitly, come rain or shine, and I wonder if having someone in who doesn't have those kind of bonds as yet will get one or two to step up, or we will see one or two big names shipped out.

I think that will apply to transfers out. If the new management team, with Ashworth, consider some players lacking in the qualities required for their game plan, they’ll be sold soon without sentiment.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There’s an excellent passage somewhere on the Albion roar where this topic is discussed and apparently CH used to need to see a player train 30-40 times before he was certain he could trust them to perform in the required manner and therefore were worthy of a spot in his squad. What chance did the u23s have?

I don't believe it was discussed on the show, but I well recall the post [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] made on NSC afterwards, sharing the conversation he had with John Morling afterwards - where this subject was discussed off-air. It was this that really lodged in my mind. The post is quoted below:

We had John Morling the Albion Academy Manager on the show this week, and he came in to tell us about the setup at Lancing, and across Sussex and Surrey.

For me, this was a genuinely fascinating show as I had little idea as to how the whole set up works, and John gave us great insights. What he said afterwards (an hour really is a short space of time to let everyone know things) was to give an insight as to how a player can make it from U23 to senior level.

He said him and Chris Hughton and the senior management team have regular meetings, and at certain times Chris will ask John if there is anyone he believes ready to make the step up. If John suggests someone, they will be invited to train with the first team. When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

For example, one player who has made the step up to the senior side 'would have trained 30 or 40 times with the first team squad' before being considered by Chris.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think ultimately Hughtons downfall was not giving youth a chance. He seemed only to stick with his players and the U23’s were not his players so they never really got a look in. Clearly Blooms long term plan is for the U23’s to feed one or two players a year into the first team hence the big investment into Lancing. That was not happening under Hughton after 4 years. Next season I reckon several U23’s will break into the first team. That could be the equivalent of tens of millions of pounds payback.

This has reminded me of when Hughton played James Tilley for 15 seconds in the last game of the playoffs. I wasn't too sure of the purpose and reasoning behind this at the time. It cannot be classed as good experience and there seemed to be a reluctancy to give him a real run out.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I think that will apply to transfers out. If the new management team, with Ashworth, consider some players lacking in the qualities required for their game plan, they’ll be sold soon without sentiment.

Agree. In fact I reckon Ashworth will already have it in the back of his mind who he thinks is up to scratch and who isn't

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"But that match seems to have been a turning point because their record since then is awful.

They’ve played 22 league games since that goal-less draw at the DW Stadium, conceding 36 goals. Only four teams in the entire division have conceded more in that period and three of them are currently in the relegation zone"

Not sure I'd call it interesting. Worrying, yes. Our Achilles heal is letting in goals on the break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here