Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The Argus revelation about TB is interesting because on the thread about when the decision was taken I suggested that the Southampton game raised the concern and the decision was taken after Bournemouth and finalised after Cardiff result It seems I wasnt far out.

I think most fans who weren't wearing rose tinted specs around the time we played Southampton(at least) knew this.

CH did a great service for Brighton and will go down for a long time as one of the greatest managers ever for the club. Things were clearly getting stale though and the rot was setting in. The right decision.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The Argus revelation about TB is interesting because on the thread about when the decision was taken I suggested that the Southampton game raised the concern and the decision was taken after Bournemouth and finalised after Cardiff result It seems I wasnt far out.

as always, good sir!
has TB invited you to a third interview? ???:moo:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Some people dismissing Potter (why do I always say in my head like Malfoy says it) have got short memories considering the outpouring of negativity when Hughton was hired. Just think back to when he got appointed, were you excited? Probably not. In fact I think most people thought it was the wrong appointment.

Fast forward and yes it's saddening what has happened and maybe there is merit to think it's not entirely his fault, so you would think TB has analysed each area of the First Team structure to see what needed to change to hopefully produce the right results for next season.

Now some people don't like it and I get it, but whoever we get, let's all get behind him and do our best to support him and the team through next season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You have to give all new managers at least one game to prove themselves but I would say that 10 is fair. If we have a problem we can hire Allardyce in January anyway.

If we lost our first 7 under Potter, would you off-load or hold on for 10?

In a way Palace cut their losses early on with Agent de Boer.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this. :cry::cry:

It'll either be a masterstroke, or another Hyppia style dropped bollock. I think the latter is more likely. What are the odds on BFS or Moyes being manager by January 2020 :nono:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I just cant see Professor Potter and his brand of ‘thinking mans’ soccer really striking a chord with Duffy and Stephens (aka the booze brothers) can you? It’ll be like CP30 trying to manage the ****ing Crazy Gang. Gulp.

Right shoes, wrong feet.

Yes, I rather like that.

We’ll be gone by November.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I just cant see Professor Potter and his brand of ‘thinking mans’ soccer really striking a chord with Duffy and Stephens (aka the booze brothers) can you? It’ll be like CP30 trying to manage the ****ing Crazy Gang. Gulp.

Right shoes, wrong feet.

Yes, I rather like that.

cheer up, we've not been saddled with the experiment yet!
who would you suggest?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Some people dismissing Potter (why do I always say in my head like Malfoy says it) have got short memories considering the outpouring of negativity when Hughton was hired. Just think back to when he got appointed, were you excited? Probably not. In fact I think most people thought it was the wrong appointment.

Fast forward and yes it's saddening what has happened and maybe there is merit to think it's not entirely his fault, so you would think TB has analysed each area of the First Team structure to see what needed to change to hopefully produce the right results for next season.

Now some people don't like it and I get it, but whoever we get, let's all get behind him and do our best to support him and the team through next season.

Probably not a good example as concerns over Hughton were proved correct. A one trick pony.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I know, outside of a Wenger type appointment I remain convinced we’re going down and fast... then left trying to come back up without the manager with the best credentials to do so.

I’m literally at a loss as to the wisdom of removing CH with no clear forward plan... I rather suspect this summer is going to be an utter shambles.

No clear plan other than having an exciting young manager already lined up you mean?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Any sign of Gus and Tanno yet?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Right shoes, wrong feet.

Yes, I rather like that.

Dunk was only thrust into England calculations because of his skills at his position when he first came into the PL.

This season he's hardly had an opportunity to showcase his full abilities given we spent so much time playing ugly negative football with our 8-9 behind the ball tactics.

He needs a manager who will allow him to use those wonderful passing skills and not bottle him up like he was under CH season past.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I don’t know. But the answer isn’t Potter. My point being if as a club you have decided to get rid of a manager because of poor results and the concern that if repeated next season it could mean relegation. Then surely you would want your next manager to have a bit more experience then Potter. Chris took over the club when it looked like we could go down and turned our fortunes around and achieved promotion to this league. He has also managed to keep us in this league for 2 seasons. What has Potter achieved?

Potter has managed more wins at the top 6 than Hughton did at us, and he did it with a team that started his managerial career in the Swedish 4th División.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Potter has managed more wins at the top 6 than Hughton did at us, and he did it with a team that started his managerial career in the Swedish 4th División.

I see you cherry picked that. I’m sure you don’t want to look at the teams Chris has managed over the years and has a CV that Potter could only dream about. What ever manager comes in will have to do something special, obviously keeping us in this league for 2 seasons is deemed not good enough. I suspect there will be a lot of people scratching their heads come Christmas and wondering why did the club make the change. It’s a difficult job to keep a club in this league and we will always been in the group that could go down.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I see you cherry picked that. I’m sure you don’t want to look at the teams Chris has managed over the years and has a CV that Potter could only dream about. What ever manager comes in will have to do something special, obviously keeping us in this league for 2 seasons is deemed not good enough. I suspect there will be a lot of people scratching their heads come Christmas and wondering why did the club make the change. It’s a difficult job to keep a club in this league and we will always been in the group that could go down.

Chris who?

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Yeah, we’ll look like idiots if Potter manages 3 wins in 23 games. That kind of form should get managers the sack.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Tough one. I would leave that to Bloom to figure out because he would have got us in this hypothetical disaster in the first place by wrongly sacking Hughton.

What if he wins 3 out of our first 23, is that a hypothetical disaster?

What if we lost the first 8 games under CH, would that be because we wrongly chose not to appoint Potter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here