Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
He is idolised at Swansea. Turning them around after losing key players was as good an achievement as us staying up. It's not a huge risk and I'd rather we did that than went for someone completely unproven or an archaic dinosaur.

Lampard has had a fair amount of backing at Derby and almost didn't make the playoffs.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I simply cannot see someone like Potter getting the job with no experience.. We have one of the smallest budgets in the Premier league and the job of keeping us in this league is hard enough.
I going for a top European manager from somewhere.

Might do. But it'll have to be someone who's happy to work to a new Technical m.o. because there HAS to be a new one in the background.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Interest in Potter confirmed in the Argus so it MUST be true ..... one of three ish being considered .... believe what you want and discard what you think is BS

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Would having a manager like Potter be a possible turn off for potential new signings?

You know what, I've been more worried about the reputation we've developed over the second half of the season being our biggest concern in turning off potential new signings. Infact not only have I feared that nobody would want to come and play for us after this season, I've been worried that our best players might want to leave. Not something I've worried about in a long time.

You could look at a new little known manager coming in and worry about our ability to attract players, but I'm sad to say I would be far more worried about that if we had stuck with the previous manager and style of play. Feel sad saying it, but it's true.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And Talksport said it would be a foreign manager this morning.......just clutching at straws...

Ties in with the Argus story. According to Talksport (the font of all knowledge) there is a three man short list with Potter and Lampard on it.

It's gonna be Potter, he fits in with the behind the scenes strategy. I'd be amazed if he turns us down.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Tbh I had never heard of him until today, and when I first heard he was the favorite I felt disappointed. But I like what I am hearing. I'd have liked Wenger (perhaps a pipe dream) and Arteta seemed an exciting prospect, but if this guy is good enough for Tony (and Dan), then he is good enough for me.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not if Ashworth is telling the best and brightest young talent to get to Brighton because it's the gateway to the England squad.

And everyone knows his sides play decent football. Ive only watched his side when they played City I have to be honest, and its a 1 off but Swansea's football was excellent.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My first reaction is no fecking way, what experience does he have at this level?

But then I’m not a gambler

We need to get this appointment right and I’m sure TB will already have someone in mind, but had he already approached him before CH got the tin tack?

The odds being what they are might suggest he has.....

His Swedish team beat Galatasaray over 2 legs in the Europa League and won matches against Hertha Berlin and Arsenal as they qualified from the group stage. That's not a bad level.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Tony Bloom and the team don't just sack a manager then sit round the table saying " well lads, who shall we go for as next manager"

Like players they'll have an on going constantly updated list of potential managerial targets in case CH got offered a bigger job suddenly, or left for personal reasons, or as is the case was sacked.

If Potter is their top target then he's been top of the list for a while and homework would have been meticulously carried out on him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Compared to most owners at this level, TB is Mr Football.

Potter is a massive risk, but an interesting risk. Personally I thought there might be one or two higher calibre managers available to look at, but in their absence he might well be the best pick.

He seems to tick a lot of boxes that TB would want, primarily giving youth a chance and playing in a 'progressive' fashion.

Whoever we appoint, we need to nail our recruitment down, and hopefully a more attacking style rejuvenates a few of the 'duds' we've bought recently (looking at you AJ).

Maybe if we appoint Potter quickly, then we could convince James to come too instead of sitting on UTDs bench.

I had already thought that someone new might make things different for the likes of Locadia, And one and Jahanbahksh. Hasenhuttl has brought a few of Saints fringe players back in to serious contention.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His Swedish team beat Galatasaray over 2 legs in the Europa League and won matches against Hertha Berlin and Arsenal as they qualified from the group stage. That's not a bad level.

I posted not knowing very much at all......but having seen this I am now warming to the idea of a young coach who plays football like it should be played and uses young players.

It could all go totally pear shaped but it looks like we might be getting what I have been crying out for over the last few months.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Young - 43, English, Intelligent - master's degree in leadership and emotional intelligence, Speaks very well and with an air of authority, adopts various styles of play and tactics he's not Pardew, Allardyce, Moyes, Pulis, Hughes etc

OK, you've convinced me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here