Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But there is nothing to say we would have continued to play so badly.
We might have or we might have signed different players and played better.
Wolves may have gone down but Watford this year had an amazing season after sticking with a manager most fans wanted out after a terrible run at the end of last season.
He is gone and we need to move on but people stating with such confidence that we would have gone down under Hughton are imho overlooking the good work he did for us and disrespecting him.
There is simply no way of knowing if we would have gone down with him next season. What we do know is we didn't go down in his 2 Premier League seasons with us.
Think as the owner you have invested more money and seen no improvement from last season none, our two most expensive signings haven’t really played in and out the side you would have to protect the investment £31m on two players that aren’t rising in value just yet and probably wouldn’t under Hughton. They are not bad players just never really been given a chance. Locadia wasn’t playing badly was picking up points Arsenal/ Everton and in his words just dropped for no reason given.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
But there is nothing to say we would have continued to play so badly.
We might have or we might have signed different players and played better.
Wolves may have gone down but Watford this year had an amazing season after sticking with a manager most fans wanted out after a terrible run at the end of last season.
He is gone and we need to move on but people stating with such confidence that we would have gone down under Hughton are imho overlooking the good work he did for us and disrespecting him.
There is simply no way of knowing if we would have gone down with him next season. What we do know is we didn't go down in his 2 Premier League seasons with us.

You are right there is no way of knowing but Bloom would be right to think Hughton had no answer to that slump in nearly 5 months of football so what is to suggest he would know how to turn it around next season. Everyone calling potter a gamble is assuming Chris would have turned it around.

One thing is for sure he is gone now so everyone needs to get behind the new guy and give him a fair crack of the whip

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No idea cant remember but a sacking does not require a press conference like an appointment does.

An appointment doesn't require a press conference. It doesn't require anything except a signed contract. There's nothing stopping a press release this evening with a press conference later in the week.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I obviously assume that if Potter wins 3 out of the first 23 games and gets a total of 11 points in that time it will still be the fault of the recruitment team and not the manager.

el punal

That's what he made out anyway.

Exactly. Whatever respect I had for Gus Poyet disappeared in that faux television “I’m shocked, what’s going on, end of the world” scene. He knew damn well that he’d gone, why milk the whole sorry saga in front of millions with that fake affrontery.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Think as the owner you have invested more money and seen no improvement from last season none, our two most expensive signings haven’t really played in and out the side you would have to protect the investment £31m on two players that aren’t rising in value just yet and probably wouldn’t under Hughton. They are not bad players just never really been given a chance. Locadia wasn’t playing badly was picking up points Arsenal/ Everton and in his words just dropped for no reason given.

Re-writing history - he started every game until Leicester on 26th Feb scoring no goals after the Everton game and really not playing well.
If he thinks that's no reason he needs to have a look at himself.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What exactly does that post achieve? (genuine question)

Because I’m bored reading posts about how Hughton wasn’t at fault for what has happened since Xmas, it was Ashworth or the recruitment team or the players.

The outcry on here from some is incredible, even down to some posters actually wanting us to lose to “teach the club a lesson”

I’ve been both CH in and out over the course of the season, and I’ve no idea if it’s the right decision or not. What I can accept is 3 wins in 23 puts ANY manager in danger of losing his job. That is what has happened and whether people agree with it or not, what I can’t understand is how anyone can be genuinely shocked that it happened.

So I suppose my point is if some feel SO strongly that 3 wins is 23 is ok for CH then surely it’s the same for whoever comes next.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never likely to be announced on a Sunday , dont think the club have ever announced something this important on a weekend so was always going to be Monday or Tuesday. Factor in the logistics of a press conference & the obligatory photo with the club scarf a weekday was always more likely. Dont see a problem with his back room staff not being in Sussex yet as they will obviously have told GP they are following him or not well before now.

All true, but most important aspect is that he’ll need to speak to his lawyer....not a ****ing hope of one of them being available on a weekend [emoji23][emoji23]

This is a done deal, probably announced late tomorrow or Tuesday, followed by confirmation that Winstanley has ‘decided to pursue other opportunities’

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So I suppose my point is if some feel SO strongly that 3 wins is 23 is ok for CH then surely it’s the same for whoever comes next.

But their point isn't that 3 wins in 23 is ok, it's that 3 wins in 23 is the best that can be expected with the players available thanks to the recruitment team. If a change of manager results in the same outcome, wouldn't that support their claim that results aren't the fault of the manager but something bigger at the club, e.g. recruitment and the players available.

Because I’m bored reading posts about how Hughton wasn’t at fault for what has happened since Xmas, it was Ashworth or the recruitment team or the players.

The outcry on here from some is incredible, even down to some posters actually wanting us to lose to “teach the club a lesson”

I’ve been both CH in and out over the course of the season, and I’ve no idea if it’s the right decision or not. What I can accept is 3 wins in 23 puts ANY manager in danger of losing his job. That is what has happened and whether people agree with it or not, what I can’t understand is how anyone can be genuinely shocked that it happened.

It wasn't just the 3 wins in 23 games that did it it was the performances as well...culminating in that dreadful 1St half against Newcastle which was beyond belief

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Yes, indeed. I'm a bit hacked off with the vilification of the recruitment team as well.

Unfortunately, pushing back against this involves having a further dig at Hughton - which now he has gone, also seems a little ungrateful.

My view on Hughton - great manager for the albion, on a downward spiral sadly, time to go now rather than taint his legacy with an ( in my view ) inevitable relegation. Go out on top as a man who left us in a better place than when he arrived.

Best for everyone when the new man is officially in and we can stop slagging off the recruitment team, and also muddying Hughton's legacy.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes, indeed. I'm a bit hacked off with the vilification of the recruitment team as well.

Unfortunately, pushing back against this involves having a further dig at Hughton - which now he has gone, also seems a little ungrateful.

My view on Hughton - great manager for the albion, on a downward spiral sadly, time to go now rather than taint his legacy with an ( in my view ) inevitable relegation. Go out on top as a man who left us in a better place than when he arrived.

Best for everyone when the new man is officially in and we can stop slagging off the recruitment team, and also muddying Hughton's legacy.

Well said sir.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Graham Potter

But their point isn't that 3 wins in 23 is ok, it's that 3 wins in 23 is the best that can be expected with the players available thanks to the recruitment team. If a change of manager results in the same outcome, wouldn't that support their claim that results aren't the fault of the manager but something bigger at the club, e.g. recruitment and the players available.

We didn’t have a run like that without those signings in our first premier league season and we did not have one in the first half of the season with them either.

Granted our squad was always going to be one of the weaker in the division but 3 in 23 quality? Not for me.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Spot on

Hughton did a great job, but something has obviously gone wrong halfway through this season and Bloom has made the choice to move on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here