Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
And a promotion and staying up twice, against the odds.

3 wins in 23 was good enough after the start to the season. As you know.

Horrendous football.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He was happy to pick Solly from the age of 20, Tomori when he was 19 and reportedly wanted Brooks - so I guess he would have played him too.
He’s also been close to signing other teenagers in the past - eg Joe Gomez, Abraham. He’d have played young players if he’d had young players.

Didn't he have to play Tomori as part of the loan deal? If he'd signed Brooks he would still be in the U23s 'until he's ready'. Hughton was simply too cautious to bring through the likes of Gyokeres for anything other than the odd game.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why can't we compare? Teams pushing for trophies are happy to play youngsters.

It’s a bit easier to slip a youngster into an already successful and winning team

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn't he have to play Tomori as part of the loan deal? If he'd signed Brooks he would still be in the U23s 'until he's ready'. Hughton was simply too cautious to bring through the likes of Gyokeres for anything other than the odd game.

We’ll find out if Potter sees premier league potential where Hughton didn’t, or another manager concludes they’re not good enough. I didn’t see much from Gyokeres to suggest he was kept out unreasonably.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Some games we were very poor. But there were plenty where we weren't.
That 'horrendous' football kept us up. Give me that over Fulham's season any day.

Sure - but no ones advocating for a ‘Fulham approach’. It’s not one thing or the other, in fact the two approaches (Hughton and Fulham) are at such different ends of the spectrum there is a huge amount of room for change without getting near the Fulham situation (a completely incomparable situation given their transfer dealings and loans ending). But you know that.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That 'horrendous' football kept us up. Give me that over Fulham's season any day.

Plenty!? I'm struggling to think of many to be honest. Even in the first half of the season when we were getting results it was rarely pretty.

But yes, of course id rather our over Fulham's season

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby

Never likely to be announced on a Sunday , dont think the club have ever announced something this important on a weekend so was always going to be Monday or Tuesday. Factor in the logistics of a press conference & the obligatory photo with the club scarf a weekday was always more likely. Dont see a problem with his back room staff not being in Sussex yet as they will obviously have told GP they are following him or not well before now.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Never likely to be announced on a Sunday , dont think the club have ever announced something this important on a weekend so was always going to be Monday or Tuesday. Factor in the logistics of a press conference & the obligatory photo with the club scarf a weekday was always more likely. Dont see a problem with his back room staff not being in Sussex yet as they will obviously have told GP they are following him or not well before now.

Potter isn’t in Sussex yet either

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Wasn't Gus fired on a sunday evening?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maybe although if it continued we would probably get relegated next season playing so lamely. Bloom knew it and decided to change things, Wolves stuck with McCarthy after an almost identical season and went down the following.

Anyway the worst scenario for us fans is Championship football for TB is a massive loss of income and obviously by his statement does not want to lose the PL cash can’t blame him really.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Maybe although if it continued we would probably get relegated next season playing so lamely. Bloom knew it and decided to change things, Wolves stuck with McCarthy after an almost identical season and went down the following.

But there is nothing to say we would have continued to play so badly.
We might have or we might have signed different players and played better.
Wolves may have gone down but Watford this year had an amazing season after sticking with a manager most fans wanted out after a terrible run at the end of last season.
He is gone and we need to move on but people stating with such confidence that we would have gone down under Hughton are imho overlooking the good work he did for us and disrespecting him.
There is simply no way of knowing if we would have gone down with him next season. What we do know is we didn't go down in his 2 Premier League seasons with us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here