Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We don't even know if Potter is a smokescreen. We all sometimes forget TB is a poker player.

"Yes, we've got a brilliant manager lined up, in the bag, but let us know what your terms might be Mr "X" and we can have a think about it. Make your terms attractive enough and we'll give it some serious thought." - all whilst Mr "X" is the manager we wanted all along....

:cool:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Don't worry, I do. It seems strange to me that a manager would be talking about bringing a player with him before even having formal discussions about his own move. Just letting people know what has been reported, and asking whether this is a usually-reliable source or not.

Very few are reliable. Andy Naylor gets most things right. Sky Sports can be chequered but are pretty good. Other than that I just check the local rag of any place that is relevant. Everything else I just ignore as speculation- even if it turns out to be right. As they say, a clock that has stopped is still right twice a day.

I don't believe anyone on here knew of our interest in Potter. But the short odds were noticed and suddenly a few folk are ITK.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
By sacking houghton, It’s pretty clear our owner doesn’t want another season of scraping through.
I’m sure he realises that means forking Out.
Exciting times are on the way with or without potter.

With Ashcroft already in post and young(er) coaches in the frame, the likelihood must be for younger English/British talent with a couple of big, experienced hitters (that meet the no-dickhead criteria) thrown in. The academy will probably be going through a review too.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I am ITK.

AMA.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was saying yesterday, there is seemingly no plan b... great. For me you never sack anyone based on the assumption your primary target will simply say show me the money...

I have a bad feeling about this whole episode.
Are you suffering from a bout of depression? Stop being daft. The club keep their business private, there is nothing at all to suggest that Chris has been sacked with all hope pinned on one specific manager signing. They will have a shortlist, and they will also be accepting applications from managers around the world.

he won’t come, no chance... he’ll be well paid as it is.

It’s going to be a classic Albion shambles... probably end up reappointing CH.
Oh ok, you were just trolling :rolleyes:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
With Ashcroft already in post and young(er) coaches in the frame, the likelihood must be for younger English/British talent with a couple of big, experienced hitters (that meet the no-dickhead criteria) thrown in. The academy will probably be going through a review too.
Ashcroft? The lead singer of The Verve?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That perception is stuck with him now though, many think justified, many like myself feel it has been much more down to confidence and performance than tactics.

I hope he gets another chance in the top flight, and probably have little doubt he will. Just hope we're not waving at him travelling in the opposite direction.

Tend to agree. I think Hughton has the potential to be a very solid Premier League manager with the right opportunity. The problem he's got is that he's now got both Norwich and Brighton on his CV, where on the surface it looks like he got sacked for playing too negative and driving the clubs towards relegation (yes, I know we survived, but our last 23 games if extrapolated to a full season = nailed on relegation). He doesn't help himself with some of the interviews towards the tail end of the season, either, where his talk around how/where we might find some goals to help us fend off Cardiff sounded very negative - he didn't take the opportunity to talk up positive approaches to solving the problem, and instead made some very odd comments about maybe forcing an own goal or having a lucky deflected shot and the like. It also (from a distance) generally looked / sounded like over the last 5 or 6 games he'd decided that the road to safety was grinding out draws - but that wasn't going to get the team going again from a morale standpoint.

I fully expect a championship team to pick him up, and for that team to do really well under his tenure and push for / gain promotion. Hopefully he then gets what he needs once promoted to show what he's got. The key thing for Hughton as a manager is to do everything he can to avoid going into 'siege' mentality if he does experience a run of defeats. His strength appears to be on the defensive side (note: I'm not saying he's *too* defensive, just that this is where his strength lies). The thing he needs to be careful of is not falling back on that defensive strength as being "the answer" when having a challenging run.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Big difference is that Hughton has previously showed that he can manage in the PL and gain points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm a fan of Hughton but once the players showed a lack of confidence in the him and the new signings were not performing as expected there can only be one outcome.

It's either sell the team or find someone who can get more out of them. If they really are as bad as we often looked during many games this season then we are really in trouble with any manager because Chris really would have demonstrated that he really did get the best out of them.

We will only find out if Chris has got the best out of this squad if we have another manager to compare it to, and the players cannot get any worse.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tend to agree. I think Hughton has the potential to be a very solid Premier League manager with the right opportunity. The problem he's got is that he's now got both Norwich and Brighton on his CV, where on the surface it looks like he got sacked for playing too negative and driving the clubs towards relegation (yes, I know we survived, but our last 23 games if extrapolated to a full season = nailed on relegation). He doesn't help himself with some of the interviews towards the tail end of the season, either, where his talk around how/where we might find some goals to help us fend off Cardiff sounded very negative - he didn't take the opportunity to talk up positive approaches to solving the problem, and instead made some very odd comments about maybe forcing an own goal or having a lucky deflected shot and the like. It also (from a distance) generally looked / sounded like over the last 5 or 6 games he'd decided that the road to safety was grinding out draws - but that wasn't going to get the team going again from a morale standpoint.

I fully expect a championship team to pick him up, and for that team to do really well under his tenure and push for / gain promotion. Hopefully he then gets what he needs once promoted to show what he's got. The key thing for Hughton as a manager is to do everything he can to avoid going into 'siege' mentality if he does experience a run of defeats. His strength appears to be on the defensive side (note: I'm not saying he's *too* defensive, just that this is where his strength lies). The thing he needs to be careful of is not falling back on that defensive strength as being "the answer" when having a challenging run.

Dare I say that his top level is Premier League fire fighter? If he was as good as some would like to think a top job offer would have come his way. He has been brilliant at keeping us up but has he the potential to be a top half of the table manager? I think a mid/ higher Premier League team would have made moves for him if he was. I haven’t heard any noises that suggest he is that man.

I do not think he could take us higher, even with a bigger budget, the mindset seems to be defence, defence, defence at this level.

There is a massive difference between the Premier and the Championship.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Why is an egg?

If you are asking if we have poached our new manager, that is an eggcellent question. I've scrambled around to see if I can find out what it's boiled down to, should be able to let you know by Fryday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here