Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Middlesbrough away - we were brilliant and MD spoilt it.

And how the squad was motivated to do it all again and go one better.

Re-writing history. We barely had a kick in the first half and could have been three nil down at the break.
The second was much better but we certainly were not “brilliant.”

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
or staying up.. they will probably remind themselves of that.

We only stayed up because Cardiff were even worse than us - although even they beat us at the Amex.

Had the Sala tragedy not happened, he would probably have scored enough goals to keep Cardiff up and send us down.

Much as I admire and respect Chris Hughton (modest, articulate, doesn't seek controversy to grab headlines), and appreciate how he got us into the Premier League, I am convinced that if he had stayed, and continued with the same tactics and under-performing players next season, we'd effectively be relegated by Christmas.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Re-writing history. We barely had a kick in the first half and could have been three nil down at the break.
The second was much better but we certainly were not “brilliant.”

We were away to the team that demolished us at home earlier in the season, and who had looked odds on to go up.
Equalised and there was only one team going to win that - us
Until the Shyster had his moment of glory

People have short memories - jeez.

Were you there and if so why did you bother?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Just passed a black Mercedes heading west on M4 at Chippenham reg R19 GSP. Just checked google and his middle name is Stephen. Coincidence?

It’s him. It’s him.
[emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Heading West you say - ahh

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We only stayed up because Cardiff were even worse than us - although even they beat us at the Amex.

Had the Sala tragedy not happened, he would probably have scored enough goals to keep Cardiff up and send us down.

Much as I admire and respect Chris Hughton (modest, articulate, doesn't seek controversy to grab headlines), and appreciate how he got us into the Premier League, I am convinced that if he had stayed, and continued with the same tactics and under-performing players next season, we'd effectively be relegated by Christmas.

If my granny had bollocks.....

We stayed up.
Opinions of what would have happened in other scenarios are irrelevant.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Has anyone get any flight numbers? Been monitoring Gatwick for hours now. No sign of him.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I will never hanker for what we saw the second half of last season. If that means relegation to the Championship, so be it. A team scared of it’s own shadow doesn’t deserve to be at the top table.

1000% this.

It's often asked, "what would you prefer, play gash football and just stay up? or play good football and go down?".

I struggled with that question when we first came up, maybe I even reluctantly accepted the former. But after watching us play this season I've come to realize that my enjoyment of football and love of my football club come from enjoying the fight, whatever happens.

I'm now 100% sure that I would rather we go down fighting the good fight than stay up because we successfully ran away from the enemy.

"Stand or Fall" has never rung so true to me as it does today.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think both sides of the Hughton argument will agree that in the latter stages of the last season. it was the player's fear and lost confidence that was one of the biggest worries.

I will be interested to see how Potter fares with this.
One of the fascinating pieces of the documentary about Ostersund, was his methods for making the team braver.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Just passed a black Mercedes heading west on M4 at Chippenham reg R19 GSP. Just checked google and his middle name is Stephen. Coincidence?

R19 GSP is registered to a 2005, 120,000 miles on the clock, Red Mini One Diesel.....

Unless he's cast a spell on it to look like a Black Mercedes, it wasn't him. ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here