Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Not sure how I feel about this. Was quite keen when he was first mooted, but looks like Swansea are desperate to keep him, and are willing to pay him more and offer assurances over budget etc. If he's happily settled and feels Swansea is a project he can build over a few years without the intense pressure and scrutiny of the PL I can understand why he might want to stay put. He is still young, obviously has confidence in his ability and methods, and there is nothing to say that he won't have other opportunities to manage in the top flight in the future.

Whilst we all love our club, and think it has great facilities, set-up and potential we have to see how it looks from the outside. The set-up and facilities are top drawer, but anyone who has witnessed the football since Christmas can see there is a massive job on their hands with this squad, either refreshing/strengthening it through the transfer market and /or on the training pitch. They will also be aware of the relatively low wage/playing budget we have for the division. Whilst I am confident TB will be increasing these for next year, you have to say, from a neutrals perspective, we are not perhaps the dream job we would hope to be.

That said, there are plenty more managers out of work than in, so I have no doubt there will be plenty of interest as the PL seems to be the league where plenty want to get involved in. Pretty confident Bloom will make the right choice, whether it is Potter or not, too early to say

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This is fact apart from the last bit. I still think Potter wants to meet Brighton if he hasn't already.

I really hope Hughton wasn't fired by Bloom on a promise from an agent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah I can really see Tony Bloom being that naïve? Graham potter is a wanted manager so it's a waiting game?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, Phil Neville.

Oh, the unbridled joy.

I think thats the media pissing in the wind tbh. One thing we know about Bloom is that he keeps his cards very close to his chest, I've seen nothing to give any real credence to Phil Neville being in the frame.

If we don't get Potter, he'll probably go foreign with someone we've never heard of.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure how I feel about this. Was quite keen when he was first mooted, but looks like Swansea are desperate to keep him, and are willing to pay him more and offer assurances over budget etc. If he's happily settled and feels Swansea is a project he can build over a few years without the intense pressure and scrutiny of the PL I can understand why he might want to stay put. He is still young, obviously has confidence in his ability and methods, and there is nothing to say that he won't have other opportunities to manage in the top flight in the future.

Whilst we all love our club, and think it has great facilities, set-up and potential we have to see how it looks from the outside. The set-up and facilities are top drawer, but anyone who has witnessed the football since Christmas can see there is a massive job on their hands with this squad, either refreshing/strengthening it through the transfer market and /or on the training pitch. They will also be aware of the relatively low wage/playing budget we have for the division. Whilst I am confident TB will be increasing these for next year, you have to say, from a neutrals perspective, we are not perhaps the dream job we would hope to be.

That said, there are plenty more managers out of work than in, so I have no doubt there will be plenty of interest as the PL seems to be the league where plenty want to get involved in. Pretty confident Bloom will make the right choice, whether it is Potter or not, too early to say

And there I was thinking that because I supported B&HA anyone would be desperate to come here :shrug: :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't have an issue with being agreeably disagreed with... seriously no issue.
Likewise.

It's the way you often do it. So pompous, so conceited
There are tons of different views on this board, some I agree with, some I don't (like most posters I guess). A couple of your posts on this thread were so odd that I felt you were trolling, so yes, I treated your posts with contempt.

and so desperate to be, I don't know, the know all blowhard at the back. Deny it all you want, you want to be the one proven to be right about nearly everything... you love it, you play the game and the percentages, pragmatically going about with your balanced opinion which must see you perched painfully of a narrow fence with splinters in your arse.
You make it sound like a balanced opinion and sitting on the fence are a bad thing :shrug: And yes, I don't go out with the intention of being wrong about anything, so it's fair to say I want to get things right.

I feel I need to reaffirm that couldn't give a shit whether I'm right or not, BUT I am allowed to express my feelings and opinions no matter how factually based or otherwise you consider them to be.
Indeed you are allowed to express opinions like "It’s going to be a classic Albion shambles... probably end up reappointing CH", and I'm allowed to mock those opinions.

The manic retro-quoting is just exhausting... I don't know why you bother, I really don't.
I don't know why you bother being so negative about everything. But that's ok, we don't all need to understand each other.

All your battling has changed nothing... regardless of the outcome... I will never be on message with you, never.
Er, I'm not asking for your vote here.
I guess you can quote this one back at me too, but - heck - this time, alas there will be no reply :(
How sad, never mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Discussions on his future from me are off limits but it is funny watching all the stuff in the Press who have had him in jobs before he had even cleared the last paper clip from his desk at Brighton
They're making him clear up his paper clips? Bloody hell, that's a bit much.

You obviously know I wanted him to stay, but I guess this must be particularly sad for you. Are you going to disappear when Chris takes over somewhere else? Or do you share Kosh's opinion that we'll probably reappoint Chris?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So are you saying player recruitment cost Hyypia his job but this was not the case for CH?
I thought CH had some crap purchased for him

Hyypia was given absolute rubbish to work with, Hughton was given good players but took us as far as he could? Since the start of 2019 Hughton was taking us backwards and it had to be halted?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Don't think it is the pay rise that would interest Potter, it will be more about the money invested in the team to allow him to bring his vision to fruition. For once we are in the front seat regarding wages, we can pay him more. Have Swansea made the job interesting enough for him to stay.

this is where reality lies

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I said yesterday at some point , its whether Potter believes what he is told/promised much like Rafa & Ashleys false promises ... article does mention transfer assurances which I assume to mean they have said money will be available for incomings as well as holding onto certain players.
I was thinking the same, but it's a really dodgy game to play with your manager. If they offer him assurances, and then they fail to deliver over the summer window, he's going to be pissed off, and it'll be a matter of time before he leaves, this time without compensation.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think that if we don't get our main man and have to settle for someone else it could be considered a miscalculation. It's a move that you would only do if signing him was a certainty.

Another odd thing that springs to mind is why award a manager with extended contracts that you may not want to fulfil?

Had Hughton's contract naturally ran out this season we would have been in a better position to line up a manager to take over, and would have saved the indignity of sacking Hughton, and not looking so ruthless in the process.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I think that if we don't get our main man and have to settle for someone else it could be considered a miscalculation. It's a move that you would only do if signing him was a certainty.

Another odd thing that springs to mind is why award a manager with extended contracts that you may not want to fulfil.

Had Hughton's contract naturally ran out this season we would have been in a better position to line up a manager to take over, and would have saved the indignity of sacking Hughton, and not looking so ruthless in the process.[/QUOTE

And also saved probably 2million in paying up his contract .

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That Wales online website is just full of speculation, no hard facts other than there has been a meeting between Potter and Swansea.

Words like believed, thought and understood are used to speculate what was discussed. It's all nonsense, they obviously don't have a clue what was said. The pay rise is just something they have assumed.

D

Deleted member 2719

They're making him clear up his paper clips? Bloody hell, that's a bit much.

You obviously know I wanted him to stay, but I guess this must be particularly sad for you. Are you going to disappear when Chris takes over somewhere else? Or do you share Kosh's opinion that we'll probably reappoint Chris?

He won't be back as he only had one interest and that was PR for Hughton, he is a one trick pony.

We have the whole of the Albion to discuss, week in and week out, how exciting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here