Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is that like the football BRIGHTON sometimes played in the Championship? Under Chris Hughton?

No one disputes Hughton as a Championship manager, but that football has rarely translated into similar standard in the Premier League. And that is probably where his limitations are.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No one disputes Hughton as a Championship manager, but that football has rarely translated into similar standard in the Premier League. And that is probably where his limitations are.

He had Newcastle scoring goals for fun when he got them promoted in their season back in the top flight. I think only 4 teams had scored more goals when he was sacked sitting somewhere around 10th or 11th. Who knows where he might have taken them had they not a lunatic running them.

He's then had an experience at Norwich, another club that got relegated thereafter coming up, so hardly evident it was just Hughton, and now us, where in all honesty our players are as much to blame as he is.

The perception is he cannot step up, but I'd argue he is a better manager than the likes of Pardew, Hughes, Pulis, even Alledyce, all of whom have been given far more opportunities than Hughton has. Does make you wonder why some of those clowns got job after job, and yet their football stunk the place out half the time far worse than a few poor months we've had.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Wales Online are quoting Teamtalk saying he wants to come to us and bring Danny James with him. £3m compensation, apparently

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Is that like the football BRIGHTON sometimes played in the Championship? Under Chris Hughton? And the Dan James who is seemingly on his way to Old Trafford? ???

We never played football like that under Hughton in the championship as good as we were at times.

Replicating it in the Premier League is a whole new ball game though, be fun seeing it tried, and just imagine if we can.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"Swansea are facing a fight to keep manager Graham Potter after interest from Premier League survivors Brighton.
Brighton could appoint Swansea manager Potter within the week, Sky Sports News has learned.
The Swans have a release clause in Potter's contract of just under £2m and Brighton are prepared to pay that for the 43-year-old." (SSN)

TB made the decision to get rid of CH after the Cardiff home defeat so this was no knee jerk decision.
The fact TB got rid of CH Assistant and coach shows plans were in place to recruit a Manager and his Team.
Negotiations will take longer as you are having to agree release fees for his assistants as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The perception is he cannot step up, but I'd argue he is a better manager than the likes of Pardew, Hughes, Pulis, even Alledyce, all of whom have been given far more opportunities than Hughton has. Does make you wonder why some of those clowns got job after job, and yet their football stunk the place out half the time far worse than a few poor months we've had.

Hughton didn't enter first team management until 2009, after many years in various coaching roles and seemingly then only stumbling into the Newcastle job after several caretaker stints there with the club being the Ashley-owned basketcase. Since he entered first team management, he's had four jobs:

Newcastle: Nov 2009 - Dec 2010
Birmingham: June 2011 - June 2012
Norwich: June 2012 - April 2014
Albion: Dec 2014 - May 2019

The only way you can suggest that he's not had more opportunities is if you believe he spent time pre-2009 wanting to be the main man, but was denied the chance. I don't know enough about his time back then to know whether he held management ambitions. Do you (not a loaded question - I genuinely have no idea)?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I’ve been following Graham Potters progress since I first read about him last year.

Personally, I agree it’s risky, however I’m excited that BHA have found probably the most exciting “prospect” outside the big leagues and want to give him a crack at the PL. He promotes youth, plays attacking football and turns flabby teams into opponents to be feared.

Next Pochettino? Who knows...but it’s going to be an interesting season.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

We have a bottom 3 budget, so need to think outside the box to maximise our chances.

This is why Potter looks like an exciting prospect and why Hughton lost his gloss.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm sure it's just putting 2 and 2 together.....but MY LORDY, I would love the Daniel James thing to be true.

He is WELL RAPIDO. Counter attacking gold dust.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hughton didn't enter first team management until 2009, after many years in various coaching roles and seemingly then only stumbling into the Newcastle job after several caretaker stints there with the club being the Ashley-owned basketcase. Since he entered first team management, he's had four jobs:

Newcastle: Nov 2009 - Dec 2010
Birmingham: June 2011 - June 2012
Norwich: June 2012 - April 2014
Albion: Dec 2014 - May 2019

The only way you can suggest that he's not had more opportunities is if you believe he spent time pre-2009 wanting to be the main man, but was denied the chance. I don't know enough about his time back then to know whether he held management ambitions. Do you (not a loaded question - I genuinely have no idea)?

I think [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] means opportunities in the Premier League specifically, but I could be wrong. i.e. That clubs have too quickly gotten rid of him in the Prem (Toon - definitely, Norwich - maybe, Us - maybe).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure it's just putting 2 and 2 together.....but MY LORDY, I would love the Daniel James thing to be true.

He is WELL RAPIDO. Counter attacking gold dust.

You mean the Daniel James that Man United look likely to sign any moment now?

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

Yes. TeamTalk says:
"The Wales winger – so close to joining Leeds in the January window was last week strongly linked with a summer switch to Manchester United, with the Red Devils said to be pushing the player and his agent hard for an answer.
But Potter has told James he wants him to follow him to the Amex Stadium, telling the player his first-team prospects and development in the game would be far better suited by a move there.
The 21-year-old winger, who has just a year left on his contract, is valued at around £10m by Swansea and has also been linked with Liverpool, Bournemouth and Manchester City."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We can compete with that bunch of player led twats on this one, if we get Potter :wink:

We probably won’t be able to compete with Bournemouth though :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] means opportunities in the Premier League specifically, but I could be wrong. i.e. That clubs have too quickly gotten rid of him in the Prem (Toon - definitely, Norwich - maybe, Us - maybe).

Yes agree, I don't really know what his choices were pre-Newcastle. There is a perception that because of the Norwich job specifically, he is a negative manager and that has stuck with him. That notion is reinforced by the back end of this season of course, but isn't backed up by his time at Newcastle, or any of his seasons in the Championship with 3 other clubs, or our first season in the top flight.

Weirdly, especially at home, I don't think we have been going out negative as such, just incredibly poor with players crippled by lack of confidence. We had no one to step in when key players were out injured, and we were left floundering. The conclusion our lack of shots was just through tactics leaves me slightly baffled when I could see us getting into great positions with plenty of players in support.

That perception is stuck with him now though, many think justified, many like myself feel it has been much more down to confidence and performance than tactics.

I hope he gets another chance in the top flight, and probably have little doubt he will. Just hope we're not waving at him travelling in the opposite direction.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
SSN reporting that Potter is undecided on the move As he just moved his fam to Swansea.
That's just weird. If Swansea were supporting the team financially, I'd understand - he's only just started a project there. But if they're not backing him (and reports of selling all PL players and replacing them with all under 23s makes it sound like they're not), what's the point? Doesn't he have any ambition (and to be clear, that's not a dig at Swansea, but the lack of backing they're giving him)?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yes. TeamTalk says:
"The Wales winger – so close to joining Leeds in the January window was last week strongly linked with a summer switch to Manchester United, with the Red Devils said to be pushing the player and his agent hard for an answer.
But Potter has told James he wants him to follow him to the Amex Stadium, telling the player his first-team prospects and development in the game would be far better suited by a move there.
The 21-year-old winger, who has just a year left on his contract, is valued at around £10m by Swansea and has also been linked with Liverpool, Bournemouth and Manchester City."

We don't know if Potter is coming.

How would they be privy to such conversation ?

Take it with a pinch of salt.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
We don't know if Potter is coming.

How would they be privy to such conversation ?

Take it with a pinch of salt.

Don't worry, I do. It seems strange to me that a manager would be talking about bringing a player with him before even having formal discussions about his own move. Just letting people know what has been reported, and asking whether this is a usually-reliable source or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here