Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Even when we were sending players home with their kit to be washed we always got loads of applications whenever the manager's job became available. I like the idea of a progressive manager like Potter because it appears to be a forward looking change of direction. However, if he stays at Swansea we will be swamped with applicants eager to join us.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
More speculation.....until Swansea agree, we can’t even talk to him (officially). Now they know we want him, they’re doing their best to convince him to stay.

My guess :

At some point in the next day or two he might insist Swansea give him permission to talk to us, citing that he ‘hasn’t received the assurances he needs about future investment in the playing squad’ or something. They tell us there is a release clause of £xm, Tony says ‘whatever’ and he comes to Sussex for a chat.

24 hours later he’s being photographed with Tony at Lancing saying it’s his dream move, always liked the club, excited by the opportunity etc etc

20 minutes later he’s dismissed on here as ‘shite’.

Willing to a agree a fixed price under the meter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I can see why Potter would take some time to mull over his options. If he could use our interest as leverage for a better contract and a bigger transfer budget at Swansea, I think he would have a big decision to make.

He's idolised at Swansea; he's got them playing good football and pushing for the play-offs with one hand tied behind his back by their board. And his stock will only rise if he improves on that next season, which doesn't seem improbable with a bit more backing.

Whereas we are a big project to take on. So much will have to change if he is to get us playing attractive, possession based football. We really were playing abysmal hit-and-hope football during the last half of the season, it was painful to watch at times. Staying up next season will not be easy, we were by far the worst team to stay up this season and Norwich & Villa (they will surely win the play offs) look strong.

Obviously, if Potter were to join us he has so much to gain if things go well, but there are no guarantees it will. And if things go badly, I would think it'd be a while before he got a sniff of another PL job.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
His response will ultimately dictate his ambition, and appropriateness for the role.
Either , 'no thanks, I don't want to disrupt my family and my long term project at Swansea'.....says loyalty is important to me, as is my family who have settled here, and potentially I am a bit concerned I can't cut it at the highest level.
Or ,' hell yes, what a complement that a Premier League club have come in for me. I can be a success there and have a long term career at the highest level. The family will settle as it seems a nice place and the salary and staying up bonus will give us a great lifestyle.'
Either way, let's give this a deadline, make him aware of it and if he doesn't give us a decision before then, we move on. Let's hope fuc@ing Phil Neville ( never had a proper first team job) is anyway near the short list of candidates.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Who wants their new manager to feel they've been rushed into a decision and shafted on wages??

If it's all done properly, the new manager (or his agent, at least) will feel victorious in the amazing deal he/she has just brokered - and everyone wins. Then to cracking on with the job...

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Don’t believe that for a minute. You don’t try and con a sought after new hire into joining and being paid less than he is worth. That puts things off to a bad start straight away. Awful recruitment process.

Nobody is conning anyone. The club wants the best deal, the manager's agent wants the best deal for his client, and they meet somewhere in between depending on lots of other factors - some of which we can control.

Once a deal is reached, that means everyone is happy - and nobody feels shafted.

That's business.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nobody is conning anyone. The club wants the best deal, the manager's agent wants the best deal for his client, and they meet somewhere in between depending on lots of other factors - some of which we can control.

Once a deal is reached, that means everyone is happy - and nobody feels shafted.

That's business.

I’ve worked in recruitment for over a decade, and I own my own recruitment company. The process you described would really annoy me if I was involved in it, it’s underhand and unprofessional. Maybe football is different, but we wouldn’t work with a client who used those sort of tactics for a senior hire, we’d think they were complete cowboys. I don’t think the Albion are like that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you move jobs from Sweden to Wales then you bring the family with you. However from Wales to England is a different kettle of fish as surely he will possibly live in a hotel/rented with visits home as often as possible

That might not be what he wants. He might prefer for family life to be as normal as possible.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
At the Pompey game tonight.

Why’s he not down in Sussex right now getting a deal done? Disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here