Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Anyone on the Swansea forums saying they'll be happy to drive him here themselves? ???

They adore him

https://www.scfc2.co.uk/forums/discussion/3234/end-of-season-report-graham-potter

His record this season needs to be put into context, with under 23 players being brought in to fill gaps apparently - this thread is worth reading right through. I didn't know who he was until this morning, I'll admit, but thought I would do some research before I gobbed off about a ho-hum record in his first season in the Championship.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I simply cannot see someone like Potter getting the job with no experience.. We have one of the smallest budgets in the Premier league and the job of keeping us in this league is hard enough.
I going for a top European manager from somewhere.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think we had the option of keeping Garcia.

No, but we had to consider what we wanted going forward, and it felt like we went from a pragmatist in Garcia who played a style of football that was uninspiring much of the time, but got us in the play offs, to someone who was supposedly going to offer a fresh progressive approach with little experience.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mention the other half of the season.
Dares you.

Less points than last season, soundly beaten by most teams around us in at least 1 game. Everything was going backwards, but we were saved by 3 very shit teams

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, but we had to consider what we wanted going forward, and it felt like we went from a pragmatist in Garcia who played a style of football that was uninspiring much of the time, but got us in the play offs, to someone who was supposedly going to offer a fresh progressive approach with little experience.
Fairy nuff. Point taken.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Let’s be honest, GP has done an outstanding job, with what he was left with. Especially his integration of the youngsters, from U23, into Championship football
Achieving a 10th spot, and just missing the play offs, with one recognised striker, and a dodgy keeper, was nothing short of a miracle.
Having said that, I haven’t been that impressed with that many Championship sides I’ve seen close up, at Liberty stadium.
Looking at the walesonline site, they are saying it would cost £2m to pay off GP’s 2 yr contract, if a club comes in for him.
So i assume he’s is on a Million a year.
Not a bad wage.
If you wanted to be slightly sceptical about things, perhaps a lot of the credit for the emergence of the youngsters, maybe has go to Toshack and Richards, and believe it or not, Mr Huw Jenkins, who saw the potential in Toshack, as a coach in the first place.

Good article here ~~>

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/double-act-heart-swansea-citys-15503216
So do we go down the old .....”In Graham we trust” routine, and believe he is the latest Messiah, who does no wrong?

Or do we have a look at some of the issues that perhaps, didn’t work out so well?

Zonal marking.
I think we were the highest in the league, for conceding goals (17) from set pieces.
Obviously having a team of vertically challenged, short arses, doesn’t help.
But right at the end of the season, he went for man to man marking, and this seemed to suit the aforementioned short arses better, in blocking runs, which you would have thought would have been a prerequisite, in a zonal system, but they seemed better suited to this change.

Picking the wrong team to start, then making 2 subs at half time.

Picking Nortfeldt when Mulder was clearly the better keeper, earlier in the season.

Then dropping Mulder when he was playing well, probably putting doubts in his mind.

How many times have we only played well for one half. ?

Opposition managers change their tactics, especially away games (normally at half time,) they come out, and start to dominate, he doesn’t seem to counteract these changes, until it’s too late.

Two of his signings, McKay and Asoro, haven’t exactly set the football world alight.

McKay in particular, has played in 35 games, and has looked useless in most of them.
He must be fabulous in training, to secure that much game time.

At least he has made it into the first team, for a good amount of games.
Asoro has been here a full season, what sort of value is he bringing to our beleaguered first team squad?
Another one drawing wages, and not playing.

GP and his scouts, will have to earn their wages big time, in the summer, and bring in real value to strengthen the squad, after what I fear, will be a summer of discontent, with some of the jewels in the crown being flogged.

My only hope is they are not sold on the cheap, and that he has a decent war chest to work with.
If the Yanks do the opposite, then GP may we’ll think his job is untenable.

End of season report :
A+
Could do better. So much better with the right backing !!!!

Well we have one recognised striker but a good keeper so we are an improvement for him

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In other words: met objectives.

Tony Bloom doesn’t become a very successful businessman generating Hundreds of millions / billion £+ but just about meeting objectives. It’s about evolving and moving forwards. We have not done that

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tony Bloom doesn’t become a very successful businessman generating Hundreds of millions / billion £+ but just about meeting objectives. It’s about evolving and moving forwards. We have not done that

Amazing how so many fans are happy to equate a football club with running a business, and yet how many get upset when they're referred to as customers.

Tony Bloom should also not be immune from criticism to the footballing decisions he makes. From sanctioning the likes of Murray going, to Burke and a period of questionable loan strategies, to the appointment of Hyppia, I'm not sure his business acumen has always transferred to footballing decisions.

Tony's best footballing decision as owner was appointing Hughton, delivering 2 of our greatest seasons in the 2nd tier, and 2 seasons in the top flight. I really hope his best decision isn't book ended by his worst.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know, but progressive ideas need testing, not sure competing at the bottom end of the Premier League with a limited budget is where you do that. You look along the coast at Southampton with Hasenhüttl as a progressive appointment, but he has real proven experience in the Bundesliga.

I'm not suggesting Progressive Potter is the right thing to do - I've got no idea. It does strike me as the sort of appointment that could seed a side being torn apart on MOTD week after week for naively playing expansive football when something more pragmatic may be required on occasion!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Screenshot 2019-05-13 at 11.31.56.png

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Tony Bloom is a businessman not a football man.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here