Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that if he has been promised that his squad won't be taken apart and he can have money to build then if he believes them then he will stay.
But he's unlikely to believe them if they lied last time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Article in Independent today (Apologies post on wrong thread earlier)
“Potter, who was coincidentally on the south coast on Thursday night watching the Sky Bet League One play-off between Portsmouth and Sunderland, is expected to make his decision over the weekend.”

Well, that's just not swift enough for me. I'm impatient. And I wanted a decision last Monday, yet I still haven't got one, so I'm going to moan about it on here ad nauseum to make me feel better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don't believe the Argus but do believe what they've reported
Yes. They claim a lot of things, and I don't always believe them. They may also claim that they know something, when in fact they're just guessing. Sometimes I'll agree with their guess. Maybe this time that is what the club has said, but it's kinda obvious either way.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Telegraph said earlier in the week he was to be interviewed that day.
But several other outlets have reported he's not been interviewed, and that Swansea didn't give us permission to speak to him. Anyone would think these newspapers just make stuff up.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Swansea have just published the release/retained list. They've released some big names, and many of their fans are in 'Twitter meltdown'. I should imagine that this lay at the heart of much of the negotiations the Swansea have been having with Potter over the last couple of days, although it's impossible to know what assurances they have made Potter about the funds available to him to help him rebuild their squad.

Surely the manager would have a big say in who is released & who is retained ? Why would he stay if he did not have a say ? Therefore either the owners have shafted him already or he is well into his plans for next season & more likely to stay put. Guess work of course but based on a little logic here and there.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Potter comes in and with his style of footy then we’re gonna need an overhaul of our current squad

I’m really not so sure.

There seems to have been a disconnect between our recruitment team and CH in terms of players and style. 4-4-1-1 was clearly CH’s preferred formation but we’ve been buying forwards suited to a front 3 and wing backs like Schelotto & Suttner. Even Davy Pröpper is an AM converted by CH into a DM.

If we’re doing a 3-4-3 for example, we may already have players suited to that along with one of the best U23 squads in the country (and Potter is not afraid to blood youth unlike CH).

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
If Potter comes in and with his style of footy then we’re gonna need an overhaul of our current squad so he’ll want to get the right sort of players in - we can’t delay too long

Disagree, Solly March has often been hailed as a potential wing back and Bernardo would also make a brilliant wing back. I can’t link it right now, but Youtube Coaches Voice - Graham Potter and he discusses his tactical approach against Galatasaray. I think our Squad has players capable of playing his apparent favoured 3 4 3 formation. Obviously we need to make a couple of signings but I don’t think our squad is far off what he would set us up.

Assuming he continues that philosophical approach.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I read on their fans forum that Swansea tried selling two of their players without letting Potter know at the end of January.

I also heard or read (can't remember which) that the move from Sweden to Swansea was a big move for his family and he promised it wouldn't be a common thing for them. I think that if he has been promised that his squad won't be taken apart and he can have money to build then if he believes them then he will stay.

Not sure I buy into promising this to his family on something that is out of his hands unless successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes. They claim a lot of things, and I don't always believe them. They may also claim that they know something, when in fact they're just guessing. Sometimes I'll agree with their guess. Maybe this time that is what the club has said, but it's kinda obvious either way.

The club hasn't commented publicly on the recruitment of the manager at all. If they've said anything , then its in private to journalists who have reported it. Who if its Brian Owen or the Argus , then it won't be "guesses"

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Hassenhüttl had long gone from Leipzig before he joined Southampton. He walked at the end of the 18/19 season, requesting the final year of his contract be cancelled. Any final 'settlement' would surely have been sorted soon after, but who knows what clauses were in any termination agreement. Still doubtful Leipzig would have been due payment from Southampton if he'd severed all ties.
So not much fight then. We sacked Hughton on Monday and had our formal approach rejected Tuesday afternoon. If Swansea didn't want to fight for him then we might have had him in the same time frame as the Southampton man.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The club hasn't commented publicly on the recruitment of the manager at all. If they've said anything , then its in private to journalists who have reported it. Who if its Brian Owen or the Argus , then it won't be "guesses"

Correct. Knowing the Telegraph sports editors, their writer will have taken a guess on the basis that if he was wrong then nobody would remember (ignorant as they are of how long NSC memories can be) and if he was right he would be a genius. Some editors are as impatient as one or two on here and want a definitive answer NOW, when there often isn't one. The sports editor of the i is intelligent enough to know that 'nothing new to report' means exactly that.

I certainly believe that the club didn't expect anything to happen until next week.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disagree, Solly March has often been hailed as a potential wing back and Bernardo would also make a brilliant wing back. I can’t link it right now, but Youtube Coaches Voice - Graham Potter and he discusses his tactical approach against Galatasaray. I think our Squad has players capable of playing his apparent favoured 3 4 3 formation. Obviously we need to make a couple of signings but I don’t think our squad is far off what he would set us up.

Băluță is used as a midfielder at the moment but can play centre back. I imagine that he'd be used to a back three formation as they're more common on the continent.

He'd certainly need a right wing-back though

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well he already knows that he's likely to lose Daniel James.

I don't completely disagree with you, but 'heading in the opposite direction' isn't right. We came close to relegation, but we're still a club on the up, and looking to improve with a new manager. We're currently 5/2 to get relegated - so the bookies think we won't be. Swansea will be quite long odds to get promoted, we know how hard it is to get out of that division.

I was thinking more from Potter's point of view.
He already has a team that he has moving in the right direction, whereas we need to hit the reset button and start again.
I don't think he would see moving to us as necessarily as big a jump up as many of us think he should.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Assuming he continues that philosophical approach.

On what basis are you claiming he plays an "apparent favoured 3 4 3 formation"? From what I've heard, he is tactically mobile and changes formation mid-match, sometimes more than once. I've also heard that he favours a back four (although I'm less secure in that point).

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He already has a team that he has moving in the right direction, whereas we need to hit the reset button and start again.
I don't think he would see moving to us as necessarily as big a jump up as many of us think he should.

Very much so. We only have to lose the first 4 games of the season (easily possible if we get tough fixtures) and he will be under intense pressure and potentially out of a job before Christmas. CH kept us up twice and got us to Wembley and he still got the sack so it is certainly a move for him to think over carefully.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Swansea have just published the release/retained list. They've released some big names, and many of their fans are in 'Twitter meltdown'. I should imagine that this lay at the heart of much of the negotiations the Swansea have been having with Potter over the last couple of days, although it's impossible to know what assurances they have made Potter about the funds available to him to help him rebuild their squad.

Looks completely the opposite, in reality. With the single exception of Routledge, the responses on twitter seem to be completely in agreement with all those released.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah fair enough. There's a lot still right with our club though, it's not exactly a full reset. A change of tactics and a few new players yes, but we've got a decent squad, the ground and training facilities etc all setup. Swansea will also be needing new players, but they might not even fund that for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here