Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Gus Poyet had no experience as a manager before us, just an assistant at leeds. So why are we even knocking Graham Potter.

Equally, Arteta has coached with Guardiola at Manchester City and I hear they are quite good. Arsenal seriously thought about making him Wenger's successor before chickening out and going for Enery instead. And in case anyone thinks he has no experience of dealing with the more average Premier League players, he was at Everton with Jo, Jonny Heitinga, Li Tie and James Vaughan.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Well in his first season Lampard is at Wembley....... pretty good if you ask me.

Furthermore as we saw with Poyet, selling the club to prospective new signings is key, and as a player you are likely to he more impressed with an ex-player with a reputation, rather than someone you’ve never heard of.

Arteta same applies, but he was apparently linked with Arsenal as well.

So no, I don’t agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You disagree with what? Lampard has achieved less, FACT. Arteta has never managed, FACT. People would be best to do honest- you don't want Potter because be isn't glamourous enough, or you don't like his hair, or something other than his apparent ability to manage a football club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Equally, Arteta has coached with Guardiola at Manchester City and I hear they are quite good. Arsenal seriously thought about making him Wenger's successor before chickening out and going for Enery instead. And in case anyone thinks he has no experience of dealing with the more average Premier League players, he was at Everton with Jo, Jonny Heitinga, Li Tie and James Vaughan.
Equally, Paul Clement has coached with Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid, PSG, Chelsea and Bayern Munich who are also quite good.....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hughton improved us, massively.
Lampard got his team to the same league position as his predecessor

But further in the playoffs on the first attempt?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hughton improved us, massively.
Lampard got his team to the same league position as his predecessor

Exactly. Upon surviving the drop to league one, the expectations were that we might get competitive again and make the top 10, let alone miss out on automatic promotion on GD.

Then, to pick that team up, and go again, secure promotion with games to spare, was simply incredible. Missing out on the title was a disappointment, but that really was completely down to the players. We were simply stunning to watch as a Championship side for 2 seasons. We played dominant, attacking, exciting, goal scoring football. That wasn't achieved by a manager who isn't capable technically or tactically.

Where the step up becomes more difficult, is that the demands on players are greater, and the players themselves are more difficult to manage. That team spirit Hughton engendered in the Championship fractured as signings had to be made and inevitably new wage structures were formed.

I think there is less about tactics and the technical coaching side, and more about the dynamics behind the scenes this season. That is why Recruitment isn't always about buying the best players available, its about buying the players that are best for your team, that have the right mentality. Forgetting ability for a minute, Locadia and Jahanbakhsh in particular stick out because they don't fit the type of player we have been buying.

I see people on here complaining the likes of Jahanbakhsh and Locadia have been coached to track back and that's not their natural game – have they not watched ManCity this season and the work rate they get through? Did you not see that Southampton simply changed by working hard to win the ball back from the front? Where the hell is this allowance that we should have players that don't have to track back? How many excuses do people want to make? Incredible really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I imagine that Dan Ashworth bases his recruitment targets on the feedback on NSC with its band of experts.

He’s probably read the comments on Potters lack of PL experience, that Ostersunds are “gash” and that Potter looks strange in a hat and thought...”hang on, I hadn’t thought of that...I’d better look at someone else”

That’s what I’d do if I were him.

Correct - he had trouble with his login this morning, but I've got it sorted for him now.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Gus Poyet had no experience as a manager before us, just an assistant at leeds. So why are we even knocking Graham Potter.

This. Moreover, I think people have made far too much of the 'no Premier League managerial experience' issue. All world class managers have to start somewhere.

It's not even as if Potter doesn't have any managerial experience under his belt. I would much rather have a young up-and-coming manager who has already cut his teeth by developing a club from the bottom up in Sweden, and learnt how to contend with all manner of scenarios. Equally, we have a tendency to forget just how tough the Championship can be; to guide a team that has been asset stripped of its best players to 10th in the league is an amazing achievement - specially when relying on youth players to see you through.

The appointment of Potter would be far more preferable to some of the other names circulating. Lampard might be a glamorous name with a huge contact book, but he had inherited a Derby side with good players and he received significant backing from his Board, yet still managed to only sneak into the final play-off position. Equally, Neville has much more limited experience than Potter, albeit in a more high-profile position in England's women team. Evidence suggests that he's doing a good job there, but he has absolutely no experience of club management on a day-to-day basis.
Equally, Arteta has a reputation as an excellent coach, but so did Clement. While these names might be more instantly recognisable than Potter's, their managerial CVs don't even come close.

I think that much of the negativity surrounding NSC's discussion of Potter stems from the fact that we might not have been familiar with him or or his style of play, especially when compared with many of the other names in the frame. As such, many of us are underwhelmed by the suggestion. However, the Board are much better informed than the average NSC contributor and I have a degree of faith in their decision-making. I for one will withhold judgement until I see what Potter can actually bring to the Albion, if he is appointed.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Given the club’s recent comments about their vision of the future of the club, what we do now we’ve achieved premier league status, and what direction we should be taking etc, if you add to that the appointment of Ashworth, I think the new manager will be recruited on the basis bringing academy players through to the first team.
In recent years the club have had ambitions on wanting to be the top club in the country for developing talent in the women’s game, and have been cultivating a culture where all teams through the academy both men’s and women’s play “the Brighton way”. It wouldn’t be a stretch of the imagination if the new vision for the club now we’re in the premier league is to become a centre for producing elite youth footballers and developing them into first team players. It’s certainly more realistic and obtainable than becoming a finical powerhouse in the top 4.
I don’t think premier league experience will be a key factor in the new manager’s appointment. I think a track record of developing players and bringing them through to the 1st team will be very high on the list of desirable qualities. To my mind that immediately rules out some candidates and puts others firmly on the potentials list. With that in mind I can see why Potter is the preferred choice.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Potter odds driffffffting. Far from a done deal it would seem. Phil Neville shortening

Bloom Bloom Bloom please don't f this up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here