Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Hawaii

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Had a week in Maui in April. Loved it. Great beaches for snorkeling or surfing - take your pick. Rain forest on the north flank of the volcano, vastly varied climate/vegetation over really short distances. Good food. Local craft beer. Will be going back, that is certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
On the other hand if you don't do Pearl Harbour, which I believe is on the other main Island, (We did a 2 centre holiday), you will regret it for the rest of your life, it was a superb experience.

Although Mrs H nearly caused a diplomatic incident when commenting on the amount of Japanese visitors "They've got a bit of a cheek coming"

:lolol:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Lived there for a month .
Get out of Waikiki and Honolulu and head up to the North Shore

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Had a week in Maui in April. Loved it. Great beaches for snorkeling or surfing - take your pick. Rain forest on the north flank of the volcano, vastly varied climate/vegetation over really short distances. Good food. Local craft beer. Will be going back, that is certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally if I was visiting Maui I would need to go looking for this guy who just happens to live there :)

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Toured US for our honeymoon a dozen years ago and spent a week in Kauai. I've seen a fair bit of the world and it was pretty much the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Grew up in Shoreham so not a beach person, but was overwhelmed by the endless choice of stunning deserted beaches. Every corner you turn is another vista unlike any other. They filmed Indiana Jones first scenes there and it's where Captain Cook was killed, it also has a fissure through the middle that looks like the grand canyon. Strangely no ham and pineapple on anything. It's a schlep though, we went from Vegas to San Francisco for a week, then flew via a 3 hour stop over in Honolulu.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Toured US for our honeymoon a dozen years ago and spent a week in Kauai. I've seen a fair bit of the world and it was pretty much the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Grew up in Shoreham so not a beach person, but was overwhelmed by the endless choice of stunning deserted beaches. Every corner you turn is another vista unlike any other. They filmed Indiana Jones first scenes there and it's where Captain Cook was killed, it also has a fissure through the middle that looks like the grand canyon. Strangely no ham and pineapple on anything. It's a schlep though, we went from Vegas to San Francisco for a week, then flew via a 3 hour stop over in Honolulu.

It is the most amazing island.
We took the helicopter trip around the island and saw the most inaccessible parts and flew up and around that mountain which apparently is the wettest place in the world and provides those waterfalls that come down on to the beaches.
Loved the film set tour as well.
Along with Sri Lanka it was the best place I have visited and I too have been around a bit.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
One thing not to do is The Polynesian Centre, it was right across the other side Maui, we got picked up in a minibus from the Hotel at silly o'clock, the driver's motoring style throughout the journey was somewhat erratic, which resulted in a Japanese lady honking up.

The PC was okay (ish) but we were ready for drink with our pre booked meal at the end of the day, before the 'Native Showcase'.

"Two Corona's please?" I asked our young Chinese waitress.

She then informed me that the whole attraction was alcohol free on Religious grounds, owned by the Mormons, but she nearly wet herself when she discovered where we came from, she said she loved Harry Potter, but equally Hermione, because she was 'so good at Sorcery'. I think she actually believed they were real people.

All in all apart from making a young Chinese girls day, it was a wasted day, so if your Holiday Rep tries to sell you the trip, a quite expensive one at that, decline!

On the other hand if you don't do Pearl Harbour, which I believe is on the other main Island, (We did a 2 centre holiday), you will regret it for the rest of your life, it was a superb experience.

Although Mrs H nearly caused a diplomatic incident when commenting on the amount of Japanese visitors "They've got a bit of a cheek coming"

Haha brilliant comment, that. However, the Polynesian Cultural Center is also on Oahu, what you refer to as the main island. It's NOT on Maui, perish the thought. We Mauians would also dispute that description of Oahu as being the main island . Anyone who watches Hawaii 5-0 will know Honolulu is a crime infested, highly dodgy, sprawling mess, full of maniac, speeding undercover cops. But I digress.

Over here on the Valley Isle, we have a saying, Maui No Ka Oi, which roughly translated means Oi, Maui no has cars. However, in the original Hawaiian, it means Maui is the Best. And they're not wrong. We got palm-fringed glorious beaches, a 10 thousand foot (dormant) volcano, whales (in winter), hula girls, and of course MAI TAIS. We have a huge Brewery with 15 home-made brews on tap -- Maui Brewing Company -- which exports across the state and the West Coast. Back in the day we were the capital of the state. Maui has been voted Best Island in the World 12 years in a row (Conde Nast Traveler magazine).

That said, let me know when you're coming and I'll drive you to your hotel (via Maui Brewing Co). Seriously, Maui is Da Bomb.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
I was visited many years ago and was lucky enough to be treated to a personal guided tour by NSC legend [MENTION=921]Ken Livingstone Seagull[/MENTION], barrelling round Maui in his truck with both of us wearing ‘Skint’ Albion shirts. A fantastic time and genuinely one of my best lifetime experiences.

That was epic, Mr. Nylon, a great day, and enjoyment reciprocated! And, that was even before the Maui Brewing Co opened its doors. It's got your name on it my friend.:wave:
:cheers:

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Personally if I was visiting Maui I would need to go looking for this guy who just happens to live there :)

Mick Fleetwood, Alice Cooper, Steven Tyler at all all live here. Also George Harrison and Glenn Frey (RIP). Schmoozed a couple of times with Shep Gordon, former agent to Joplin, Hendrix, Teddy Prendergast, A Cooper and many others as well as Wolfgang Puck and many celeb chefs. Super guy -- a documentary on him is on You Tube -- Supermensch. Hilarious.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've seen enough 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' to put me off.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here